Speculation ended: Grant Holt re-signs @ Norwich

maqroll

We call McNally..McNasty, a nickname he earnt at Fulham......and yes, he's a big hero to us.

A hero? Despite seemingly having pushed your star striker towards the exit and perhaps having cost you compensation for Lambert?

We call McNally..McNasty, a nickname he earnt at Fulham......and yes, he's a big hero to us.

A hero? Despite seemingly having pushed your star striker towards the exit and perhaps having cost you compensation for Lambert?

None of which has actually happened yet!

Forget the 'little old Norwich' tag of three years ago, that died when McNally came to the club..

PS. When are you unvailing your new saviour? :crylaugh:

Forget the 'little old Norwich' tag of three years ago, that died when McNally came to the club..

Which is why I said "seemingly", "towards" rather than through and "perhaps". I think you will notice I'm aware none of those things have happened yet but there is a distinct possibility that they will and should they do so to hold him as a hero is more than a little odd.

As for forgetting the tag or little old Norwich, I never attached such a tag but it seems odd to me to think McNally is the one who has turned you around when it seems 'your' saviour was Lambert.

As for our press conference to announce the appointment of Lambert, there is no rush. Oh and we don't need a saviour, we've never left the Premier League you only need one of those when you drop like a stone to League One. ;)

A bit left field but how about Giovani dos Santos?

Versatile but a bit up and down, usually brilliant in the national team.

Worth a punt?

I wouldnt say no and think could thrive at Villa, wonderful goal last night

Which is why I said "seemingly", "towards" rather than through and "perhaps". I think you will notice I'm aware none of those things have happened yet but there is a distinct possibility that they will and should they do so to hold him as a hero is more than a little odd.

As for forgetting the tag or little old Norwich, I never attached such a tag but it seems odd to me to think McNally is the one who has turned you around when it seems 'your' saviour was Lambert.

As for our press conference to announce the appointment of Lambert, there is no rush. Oh and we don't need a saviour, we've never left the Premier League you only need one of those when you drop like a stone to League One. ;)

Good reposte mate. :D

to be honest, i dont really care who he signs as long as they also fit the remit of young dynamic exciting which was the remit for the manager.

I certainly think that we are aiming for dynamic vibrant play but I think it is wrong to think that every player we sign will be young and nor should they. I don't care really as long as they help us improve as a club

true, there doesnt need to be only young players coming through or being signed, but holt is the sort of player we have been trying to rid ourselves of over the last 18 months

oldish player wanting a longish contract on lots of money.

we still have the likes of

dunne

collins

warnock

hutton

to either sort out their game/ attitudes once and for all or just get rid of them and save the extra 160k plus per week it would save in wages

while holt may come in and do a job for 12 months or 18 months he certainly is not worth paying a significant transfer fee for.

a mixture of 1 or 2 older ones like given and dunne i would keep add in some 26 to 30 year olds and try and make the rest of the squad made up of under 25's

its the older ones which from a villa point of view, take up most of the wages.

I have to agree with Brummybloke to a certain extent, as we seem to be wanting rid of older players presicely due to the wages issue. He has, howerver proven himself to be wroth a few goals though, and Darren Bent is really the same kind of signing (not from style of play).

but he's on somewhere between 10k and 15k per week if you believe the press... the point is that we should be able to buy him for wages that are sensible and eminently within the pay structure that we are trying to keep.

very few of the names being bandied around would even sniff at any club for a wage of somewhere between 20 and 30k, particularly if they are on bosmans.

i think he would do a great job for the next couple of years - won't start every game, but will be a genuine goal threat when he's on the pitch. something we sorely missed over the second half of the season.

if holt is looking for financial security, a three year contract at 20k earns as much as a 2 year contract at 30k...

if he scored 15 goals a season for us over the next two seasons, at 30k, he'd be a bargain...

There's a big difference in letting a manager buy the likes of Heskey, Beye, Sidwell, Davies, Shorey, et al, all on huge wages with no resale value compared to letting the new manager buy one player IF he wants him that's not on a vast amount comparatively.

Yes he could be a Michael Ricketts or Marcus Stewart, or he could be another Ian Wright or Paul Merson. Point is we have a manager that seems to know his onions, and he certainly knows Grant Holt. If he scores goals for the next couple of seasons then he's already paid for himself.

People have said that they'd take him if he was 28, but not 31 purely on the point of resale. Well, if he was 28 he'd be nearer £8 - £10m, only to be sold after 3 years for £4m. That's a loss of between £4-6m there. If we bought him for somewhere around £4.5m then we're in a similar boat as long as he's kept himself in shape.

End of the day if PL wants him then he's know GH better than any of us. Whether he actually wants him is a moot point though....

I agree with you Stan, but I think this is the sort of player that is more the final piece of the puzzle, when you are pushing on to CL positions after you have a core of a squad filled out and can take a bit of a punt on an older player that can play a role.

I think for us, we need to identify a core group of players that can be with us for an extended period of time to move us up the table and establish PL's style.

There's a big difference in letting a manager buy the likes of Heskey, Beye, Sidwell, Davies, Shorey, et al, all on huge wages with no resale value compared to letting the new manager buy one player IF he wants him that's not on a vast amount comparatively.

Yes he could be a Michael Ricketts or Marcus Stewart, or he could be another Ian Wright or Paul Merson. Point is we have a manager that seems to know his onions, and he certainly knows Grant Holt. If he scores goals for the next couple of seasons then he's already paid for himself.

People have said that they'd take him if he was 28, but not 31 purely on the point of resale. Well, if he was 28 he'd be nearer £8 - £10m, only to be sold after 3 years for £4m. That's a loss of between £4-6m there. If we bought him for somewhere around £4.5m then we're in a similar boat as long as he's kept himself in shape.

End of the day if PL wants him then he's know GH better than any of us. Whether he actually wants him is a moot point though....

Great post sums up where I am