Speculation ended: Grant Holt re-signs @ Norwich

maqroll

The other point is we don't know Lambert's budget.

He does. And he'll know what needs doing with the whole squad. So if he has decided he wants Holt then it will be because the whole deal fits into the plan. He's not going to put all his eggs in the one basket. We wanted Lambert because he's a good manager. Let him manage. If he does something you don't agree with or you can't figure out, you never know, he might know more than you. I'm going to sit back and enjoy watching him re-shape our club.

He does. And he'll know what needs doing with the whole squad. So if he has decided he wants Holt then it will be because the whole deal fits into the plan. He's not going to put all his eggs in the one basket. We wanted Lambert because he's a good manager. Let him manage. If he does something you don't agree with or you can't figure out, you never know, he might know more than you. I'm going to sit back and enjoy watching him re-shape our club.

^ This

the biggest benefit of signing Holt is the guarantee that the manager already knows how to get the best out of him.

Can Grant Holt fit into Lambert's way of playing football... yes.

Does Lambert know his strengths and weaknesses... yes.

Can Holt cut it in the premier league... yes (or he has for 1 season at least)

As long as the price is right (3-5m) then I see no reason why not. Darren Bent will always be out first choice striker so as a second option ahead of Weiman (whilst he learns his trade) then I say go for it.

Unfortunately it may be the death knell for Gabby but that's football. We move on.

That's what people said about Mon

Yes. "This one time something was said about someone and it was true. Therefore it will always be true about everyone." Standard VT rebuttal. The board have learned the hard way about wage bills and managers on loose leashes. I'm confident that won't be happening again.

Just turn that around a minute, then I think people may just get an insight into what the future holds for us.

Paul is aware of what needs doing to our squad, he ain't stupid, he knows how much it is going to take, he will have sought those assurances and he has been given them!

Exactly Richard. That's what I was kind of getting at. He knows what he's working with both in terms of budget and playing staff.

Gabby is 25 in his prime best years ahead of him if we sell him onto Sunderland im telling you now we will regret it

If gabby had been playing for another club the way he has been for us would you want to sign him? He has been championship standard for two seasons now and is most likely one of our highest earners.

I would like it if he stays but i won`t be bothered if he goes.

As for holt, i think he is a bit too old. But if the manager can get 2 good seasons out of him for a decent price, and providing he is on a sensible wage then i would be in favour of signing him.

Whatever we do in the lambert era has to be sustainable, we don`t need anymore boom and bust tactics from the manager or the board.

There's a big difference in letting a manager buy the likes of Heskey, Beye, Sidwell, Davies, Shorey, et al, all on huge wages with no resale value compared to letting the new manager buy one player IF he wants him that's not on a vast amount comparatively.

Yes he could be a Michael Ricketts or Marcus Stewart, or he could be another Ian Wright or Paul Merson. Point is we have a manager that seems to know his onions, and he certainly knows Grant Holt. If he scores goals for the next couple of seasons then he's already paid for himself.

People have said that they'd take him if he was 28, but not 31 purely on the point of resale. Well, if he was 28 he'd be nearer £8 - £10m, only to be sold after 3 years for £4m. That's a loss of between £4-6m there. If we bought him for somewhere around £4.5m then we're in a similar boat as long as he's kept himself in shape.

End of the day if PL wants him then he's know GH better than any of us. Whether he actually wants him is a moot point though....

Great post sums up where I am

Seconded. Awesome post. I think him & Bent up top could provide 25+ goals next season.

Bri knows best :) Great post!

What you have to do with any manager is let them get on with it, and carry on until the bad decisions out weigh the good ones. Its not a permanent thing, and you don’t have to have an opinion that is forever set in stone. If Lambert signs Holt and he scores 20 goals it will be great. If he signs Holt and he fails, that won’t be. But I am not going to get annoyed at him for that if he wants to. Its when Holt as a bad signing, is part of consistent pattern of bad decisions that its a problem.

Anyway I am agreement with those who say let him get on with it...

Let him manage. If he does something you don't agree with or you can't figure out, you never know, he might know more than you. I'm going to sit back and enjoy watching him re-shape our club.
Quite. Reminds me a little of a certain R Saunders forking out a record fee on a 29 year-old journeyman centre forward named Peter Withe. That raised a few eyebrows at the time.

my sentiment entirely

Let him manage. If he does something you don't agree with or you can't figure out, you never know, he might know more than you. I'm going to sit back and enjoy watching him re-shape our club.
Quite. Reminds me a little of a certain R Saunders forking out a record fee on a 29 year-old journeyman centre forward named Peter Withe. That raised a few eyebrows at the time.

yea, especially as his first choice was Mick Ferguson ( Coventry) I seem to recall.

Managers need a bit of luck too, but a dollop of Nous is helpful and Saunders & Lambert had it/have got it.

What you have to do with any manager is let them get on with it, and carry on until the bad decisions out weigh the good ones. Its not a permanent thing, and you don’t have to have an opinion that is forever set in stone. If Lambert signs Holt and he scores 20 goals it will be great. If he signs Holt and he fails, that won’t be. But I am not going to get annoyed at him for that if he wants to. Its when Holt as a bad signing, is part of consistent pattern of bad decisions that its a problem.

Anyway I am agreement with those who say let him get on with it...

Thats a good post PB.... opinions are based on a series of events or decisions and subsequently can be changed.

My thoughts exactly...

I think Lambert could get the best out of Agbonlahor. He's been a waste of wages in the past two seasons but I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Holt I think would be a poor value signing. I just don't see it.