Speculation ended: Grant Holt re-signs @ Norwich

maqroll

We need forwards who can move the opposition defenders around and make them make errors.

That can be physically or through sheer ball play/technical ability.

Grant Holt has had a decent season and he seems to do currently what our present forwards seem to struggle with ..scoring goals.

Whether our present batch turn things around and start performing under the new regime or the manager feels Grant Holt is the needed.

He will make the call and I suspect correctly.

I think that after the total Manager bashing over the last 2 years(mostly justified) it is time to get on the side of the new Boss and support the signings that he makes,the chances of Holt joing us are remote but should we sign him then trust the Manager & his judgement as he knows him better than we do after working with him for the last 3 years,he won't sign him if he thinks he is not upto the job.

Lambert want's to do well he is not coming merely for the money but success.

I think things have go so badly wrong in the last 2 seasons - that we are looking 'to deeply' into things. Transition season, root and branch overhall , etc.

If big Grant Holt is banging them in for us next season - that'll do for me. Thes long term strategies have a habit of not delivering anything.

I would take Jordan Rhodes (reminds me of a young shearer) and Jay Rodriguez. Both have excellent movement, know where the net is show promise for the future. Sell the Fonz and Wieman and bring in those two.

Gabby gets one last chance, simply because his pace used correctly terrifies defenders and makes them defend deep allowing us space in midfield (if our defence leaves its own 18 yard box!)

The other point is we don't know Lambert's budget.

He does. And he'll know what needs doing with the whole squad. So if he has decided he wants Holt then it will be because the whole deal fits into the plan. He's not going to put all his eggs in the one basket. We wanted Lambert because he's a good manager. Let him manage. If he does something you don't agree with or you can't figure out, you never know, he might know more than you. I'm going to sit back and enjoy watching him re-shape our club.

Just turn that around a minute, then I think people may just get an insight into what the future holds for us.

Paul is aware of what needs doing to our squad, he ain't stupid, he knows how much it is going to take, he will have sought those assurances and he has been given them!

Richard do you know our new manager on a personal basis? I ask because you keep refering to him by his first name in the same way that one friend might do to another. Normally in the football world fans refer to their manager using a nickname or by their second name. Or is it a simple man crush reflecting on who our previous manager was?

Personally I would sell Gabby & Delfounso, both need a change,Gabby has not done it for 2 years and would free up wages plus bring in more cash,sometimes you have to sacrifice a player to build a team.

I would take Jordan Rhodes (reminds me of a young shearer) and Jay Rodriguez. Both have excellent movement, know where the net is show promise for the future. Sell the Fonz and Wieman and bring in those two.

Gabby gets one last chance, simply because his pace used correctly terrifies defenders and makes them defend deep allowing us space in midfield (if our defence leaves its own 18 yard box!)

Gabby doesn't have the same pace anymore whether its due to injuries or the fact that he has bulked up.

If MON came in for Gabby and offered 7m for him then i would let him go on the basis that we use that revenue to bring in the new Abonlahor, but with better predatory instincts.

Gabby doesn't have the same pace anymore whether its due to injuries or the fact that he has bulked up.

If MON came in for Gabby and offered 7m for him then i would let him go on the basis that we use that revenue to bring in the new Abonlahor, but with better predatory instincts.

I thought about getting rid when I typed my original post, but when I thought about it, he is not a winger. Yet that has been where he has played for most of the two years you mention. Gabby to me was at his best in that period where he played as a lone striker and terrorised defenders with pace and power.

As I said, one more year to see what he can do. His stock is low so we wouldnt get much for him at the moment and I think with the right guidance, he could be a threat again.

Gabby would hate it in Sunderland more than Craig Gardner does... Bent should have a word in his ear about that also.

It's not Sunderland so much it's just that.. if you know Sunderland at all ...you'd wanna live in Newcastle!

If you play football for Sunderland are black and go anywhere near Newcastle then you best be prepared.

Besides I wanna see what a decent attack minded coach does for Gabby - he's lethal when he's on song. Think we should give him a chance under Lambert. Also he's not bad playing the channels, early on some of his crosses created havoc with Bent upfront.

Will be interesting to see if Holt comes in the end because there are still rumours we're after him.

Granted he has been continually played in the wrong position but its not only his poor form i'm concerned about, it's his attitude. Even with the honour of being made captain it made no difference when we needed him to step up.

I also feel that he is not lethal enough when on a one on one with the opposing keeper and as i have already stated he has lost a yard of pace.

I just think now is the right time to sell him but if he stays with us then i hope he proves me wrong.

Granted he has been continually played in the wrong position but its not only his poor form i'm concerned about, it's his attitude. Even with the honour of being made captain it made no difference when we needed him to step up.

I also feel that he is not lethal enough when on a one on one with the opposing keeper and as i have already stated he has lost a yard of pace.

I just think now is the right time to sell him but if he stays with us then i hope he proves me wrong.

Spot on. His endorsement of KMac told me what I needed to know.....Gabby wants easy street.

I think he is going to have a shock with Lambert.

Julie, I know it well & yes you are quite right what you say,Gabby is a local lad & his family are settled in Sutton Coldfield plus schools etc.

It would take some offer to get him that far up North imo.

I also feel that he is not lethal enough when on a one on one with the opposing keeper

Yea can't disagree - game against WBA away on two occasions he had chance to bury it but allowed Ben Foster to make great saves.

He's lacking confidence though - as are many in the squad. Gabby needs a man motivator and Lambert and Culverhouse are by all

accounts excellent at that. I think if we got rid we'd regret it.

I think Lambert will get Gabby back to his best.

He tore Norwich apart at B6 and still has plenty to offer us. I like Holt but I am concerned about his age. I think wages wouldn't be too much of an issue as he is on 15 grand a week at Norwich so we could double it and still have thirty odd left over for somebody else out of Heskey's wages.

We certainly need a Holt type to compliment the poacher and speed demon of Bent and Gabby respectively.

At the end of it a striker is paid to score and if he chips in with 10 or 12 a season in support of Bent then who cares.

I think he is going to have a shock with Lambert.

Methinks they're ALL in for a shock with Lambert.

Butlins Moor Heath will be no more...............

Good the place needs a serious shake up & Lambo is the man to do it.

Agent ITK on twitter (the guy who called Lambert all along, even when the OGS-fest was at its peak) said about an hour ago that Holt wont be coming to Villa.

I think he tweeted something a few days back saying that unless he and Lambert "resolve their differences" then Holt wouldnt be coming