Speculation ended: Grant Holt re-signs @ Norwich

maqroll

Holt only signed a new 3 year deal last July and scored 17 goals last season, so we're in a position to put whatever price on his head we want.

West Ham have apparently bid £4.5 m for him yesterday, think if they push that up to £6m we might consider it, not a bad deal for someone who cost us £400k, 3 years ago and is 32 early next year.

And suppose the player doesn't want to go to Wet Spam but prefers a bigger club?

Well yu are welcome to him for about £6m though the rumour is that Lambert wont be able to approach any of our players for 12 months( same as swansea have with Rodgers)

If that is true, there will be no bidding war on Holt and West Ham will probably get him for an improved second offer at 5 mill. Sounds like a bad business to make sure Lambert does not approach any of your players.

Not sure I want Holt at Villa Park, btw. But I will back the manager whatever he do this summer.

Well yu are welcome to him for about £6m though the rumour is that Lambert wont be able to approach any of our players for 12 months( same as swansea have with Rodgers)

However there are also rumours that so far Lambert has refused to agree to any such clauses being written into any severance agreement,

he's so angry with Norwich after agreeing to allow him to speak to Villa last week and then withdrawing that permission.

Hence why the heated discussion took place on Wednesday night and Lambert tendered his resignation.

Whether he wants to sign players from Norwich we shall see.

I remember another time we were all unsure & moaning about signing an ageing centre forward in his 30's...

He went on to score the winner in a European cup final :lol:

I wouldn't mind him here actually & trust PL's judgement..If he wants him he should know his abilities more than anybody so get him in!

I remember a more recent example, Emile Heskey.

We can all post examples of players to support either side of such an discussion point but they they are of no real significance to evaluating the value of any signing.

Some signings are good others aren't and that applies whatever the age. Where age becomes important is when signings don't work out and large amounts of money are concerned.

Given our current issue with wages and the limited amount we have to spend paying out larelge sums for players not far off 32 to me seems like bad business regardless of their ability.

the only piece of important criteria is.....can they score goals on a regular basis. Grant Holt can score goals.

But Hey we should now have a manager we can trust with this kinda stuff, so we can just relax and back him.

I remember another time we were all unsure & moaning about signing an ageing centre forward in his 30's...

He went on to score the winner in a European cup final :lol:

I wouldn't mind him here actually & trust PL's judgement..If he wants him he should know his abilities more than anybody so get him in!

I remember a more recent example, Emile Heskey.

We can all post examples of players to support either side of such an discussion point but they they are of no real significance to evaluating the value of any signing.

Some signings are good others aren't and that applies whatever the age. Where age becomes important is when signings don't work out and large amounts of money are concerned.

Given our current issue with wages and the limited amount we have to spend paying out larelge sums for players not far off 32 to me seems like bad business regardless of their ability.

Who says we have limited amount of funds? Everything I have heard recently is that there is plenty of money to spend (as there always has been once the wages are addressed).

That said, whatever the situation - Id sleep if we didnt get Grant Holt

the only piece of important criteria is.....can they score goals on a regular basis. Grant Holt can score goals

70 goals for Norwich at all levels... including 17 at Premier League level (2 in cups)

2nd highest goalscorer behind Rooney in the league last season with 15 goals.

Naaaah wouldn't want him at the club...

The "no resale value" is a hugely over-rated argument.

Norwich (or any other club) will try and get as much as they can for a player they're selling.

If Holt had resale value (say £3m worth), we should be willing to spend about £3m more to get him. So the price would go up by about £3m.

As for signing him or not, for that sort of money I'd rather Robbie Keane.

the only piece of important criteria is.....can they score goals on a regular basis. Grant Holt can score goals

70 goals for Norwich at all levels... including 17 at Premier League level (2 in cups)

second highest' British goalscorer', which is akin to be being the second most handsome man in st andrews . still would improve our squad without question .

2nd highest? If you only count English players that is...

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/premier-league/top-goalscorers.html

the only piece of important criteria is.....can they score goals on a regular basis. Grant Holt can score goals.

Heskey was never prolific.

But Hey we should now have a manager we can trust with this kinda stuff, so we can just relax and back him.

You can say that again.

They may want to stop him going back for players and unsettling them and ou can understand that. But I think that if a player actually submits a transfer request and puts themselves on the open market so to speak then they are fair game and you can't stop him bidding then. I wouldn't be surprised if both villa and paul think this as well and that if naaarrrrich ar trying to say it applies in all cases it's another reason to be pissed off with their small time behaviour. Just saying like

I cannot see in a million years Lerner agreeing a 3 year deal for someone like Holt (after all that's why he's supposed to have put in a transfer request) after the cost-cutting exercise we've had to go through. It would be totally counterintuitive.

I cannot see in a million years Lerner agreeing a 3 year deal for someone like Holt (after all that's why he's supposed to have put in a transfer request) after the cost-cutting exercise we've had to go through. It would be totally counterintuitive.

Well the wages would be no where near what Heskey was being paid.