Euro 2012: Group C (Spn, Ita, Irl, Cro)

TrentVilla

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some pretty harsh words from Roy Keane just now. On that performance, they deserve it.

What did he say?

I'm paraphrasing: "Some of these guys think they are top class players, they are nowhere near that quality." "They have maybe 2 promising young players coming through." On the subject of the forth goal he said you wouldn't see that sort of defending on a Sunday pitch.

This is why I don't understand the expansion to 24 teams for 2016 onwards. Mostly the Euros are competitive and there's only 1-3 teams that get battered. Letting in 8 lesser quality teams and having 3 out of 4 teams from the group stages (in most of the groups) go through is going to make it boring.

Money.

The quality of the product doesn't really matter, it's an established propert-sorry, tournament, it'll make money regardless... so you lengthen it to draw out more advertising and licensing cash, as well as open up potential new markets or widen/strengthen existing ones by giving more countries a chance at a big tournament.

Simple. UEFA care about the cash and **** the rest. Dress it up in justifications of giving smaller nations a chance to develop or play with the big boys, but know it's all about the dollars in the end.

Thought Dunne had a mare tonight. He just couldn't do right. The first goal although not his fault, he was still kicking thin air while the ball was in the back of the net. His reaction time seemed really poor. He has now started reminding me of Titus Bramble.

Roy Keane is the best pundit, he does not mince his words.

"I am sick of people praising the Irish fans, and thinking they are just there for the party, these fans are here to see the team win and play well not for a jolly, and some of these players are shocking". Also laid into our Dunne and Given.

Now the euro is going to be 24 teams Ireland will qualify each time now. But the groups will be weaker. Time for Duff, Given and Keane to retire from international football. Spain were superb, but Ireland were so poor I cant work out how good spain are in comparison to Germany and Russia.

"I am sick of people praising the Irish fans, and thinking they are just there for the party, these fans are here to see the team win and play well not for a jolly, and some of these players are shocking". Also laid into our Dunne and Given.

Yeah I like how he just says what he thinks. He may not be the most likable bloke in the World, but he's honest.

He was right too. Low expectations and a day on the sauce meant Irish fans were always going to mean the fans were in fine voice today. This is the first tournament Ireland fans will have been able to travel to en masse in a generation. I dont think too many would have gone to Japan & Korea in 2002 and I assume the vast majority of Irish fans in the USA in 94 were ex pats and descendants of Irish immigrants so you probably have to go back to Italy in 1990 or West Germany in 1988 for the last time that half of Dublin left the country for a couple of weeks to watch the football.

The Irish fans were always going to enjoy the tournament no matter how shit the team played and I think its easy for the team to hide behind that. Poor performance on the pitch? Praise the opposition and the fans. Bollocks.

This is why I don't understand the expansion to 24 teams for 2016 onwards. Mostly the Euros are competitive and there's only 1-3 teams that get battered. Letting in 8 lesser quality teams and having 3 out of 4 teams from the group stages (in most of the groups) go through is going to make it boring.

Belgium, Serbia, Turkey, Bosnia, Slovakia, Switzerland, Montenegro, Norway etc

Some decent teams who aren't at Euro 2012.

As good as Spain were tonight, I think they have alot to thank Ireland for for that. All the hype about Spain suddenly becoming the clear favourites is bollocks in my opinion. Yes, they may well prove to be the eventual winners, but that game has done nothing to show they have what it takes to beat Germany or even the likes of Russia or Poland.

It's been shown a few times that if you give Spain no time, close down well, hunt in packs and be comfortable letting them have most of the ball, springing counter attacks and targeting their weak defence, they can be beat.

Playing 2 in central midfield when you know Spain will play 3 (well, 5 actually but in terms of the very middle, it's a 3) is crazy. Especially when their 3 are Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets, and your 2 are Andrews and Whelan.

At the very least they should have played Walters to play a destroyer and disrupt Spain's passing. Instead Ireland just let Spain play all around them.

And some more markets to sell advertising space to. I'll bet England not qualifying in 08 cost a lot of people a lot of money and moves were made to ensure that wont happen again. The only good thing about the expanded format is that we will get an extra knockout round.

Â