Staying at Wigan: Roberto Martinez (Wigan Athletic)

VillanousOne

Odds shortening on RM - hes overtaken Lambo to 2nd favourite ! - oh no !

that just means someone read the story that he'd talked to us and hasnt been privvy to the OGS speculation

either that or a few people from here are hedging :lol:

sure when i put a ton on OGS at 10/3 he game in to 7/3 almost immediately

OGS, Lambert or Martinez. To be honest they're all better choices than I was expecting at the start of this summer.. but now we've had so much OGS hype and the fans seem to be very much on his side, Martinez would actually be a slight disappointment.

I wouldn't cry if we got Martinez though, I think he's decent. Young, ambitious, plays good football and attack-minded.. seems to fit the mould we all wanted.

I'm not overwhelmed by the idea of Martinez, I really don't see 2 years of a limping Wigan side staying up as an achievement. We would do well to stay away from the two Roberto's.

Martinez would be way down my list.

They were dead and buried at one stage last season - and avoided relegation by a single goal the day before.

If keeping wigan in the PL is such a feat - why isn't everyone clamoring for steve bruce - who got wigan to a much higher placing

I made the point about Steve Bruce a few days ago

He did much better at Wigan, think he got them to 9th

He also got SHA to 9th on a tight budget

Much better manager than Martinez IMHO

those teams were far stronger, take out sharner, nzogbia, valencia, palacios and even braqmble who was class for them and rodigella (who's barely played as he leaving) this season.

Just go through th wigan squad and bar the keeper and maybe a chance on moses (another gabby for me) who elser would get in our squad? Even though we have worst premier league defense i've ever seem - i still wouldn't fancy any of theirs either, though with worse players i bet the defense isn't as poor as ours.

he struggles at the bottom as he has the worse teams and worst players/ squad - he can't win anything with that,

I would not have expected us to go back for him after last time but it may be that he really had some loyalty to Wigan and Whelan. Having been given the OK to leave for Liverpool I think he can see the time is now right to part and he may not think Liverpool will offer him the job or give him the time to change them before moving him on if they are not top 6 within a season so he likes the idea of building a team from scratch as he has done before but this time with us and being given a couple of seasons to show signs of progress.

I would be happy with him, OGS or Lambert who now appear to be the 3 front runners. We could do a lot worse than all three of them.

Martinez is credited with overhauling the clubs he has been involved with. I understand that he takes a great deal of time to ensure the reserves/youth play the same style of football so they can be moved seemlessly into the first team.

Villa have been crying out for this for some time now. I think he'd be a great manager....

... but he will need time to turn the club around. Still, it can't be any worse than this season - could it?

Martinez is credited with overhauling the clubs he has been involved with. I understand that he takes a great deal of time to ensure the reserves/youth play the same style of football so they can be moved seemlessly into the first team.

Villa have been crying out for this for some time now. I think he'd be a great manager....

... but he will need time to turn the club around. Still, it can't be any worse than this season - could it?

The only thing that could be worse than last season....is administration. It wasn't just the flirtation with relegation, it was the garbage on the pitch we had to endure week in week out. For gods sake, give us a manger that, at the very least provides us with some entertainment.

either the club has got their PR right, or they have actually gone about this correctly, and have shortlisted and arranged to meet three young, up and coming managers, all of whom appear interested in the job, and would create the correct culture with the backing of the fans in the coming season.

To me, martinez, lambert and OGS are a pretty good shortlist -in the right section of the universe of managers, and i think that any of the three of them will do a very good job here over time.

Compared to the debacle that has been the last couple of appointments, so far, randy's performance post season has been exemplary.

I agree OVF.

Wouldn't be unhappy with him at all.

The only thing that could be worse than last season....is administration. It wasn't just the flirtation with relegation, it was the garbage on the pitch we had to endure week in week out. For gods sake, give us a manger that, at the very least provides us with some entertainment.

I hear you Bladerunner,the Villa faithfull hear you and Randy Lerner can hear you ,i hope.

I hear you Bladerunner,the Villa faithfull hear you and Randy Lerner can hear you ,i hope.

Amen to that. I don't think I could take another season of.....once a fortnight, leaving VP feeling like a broken man, only to arrive home, switch on the TV, to watch an interview of an impostor pretending to be our manager tell me that he thought we had played well. Thank god the season ended when it did. Another month of it and I'd have been in therapy.

either the club has got their PR right, or they have actually gone about this correctly, and have shortlisted and arranged to meet three young, up and coming managers, all of whom appear interested in the job, and would create the correct culture with the backing of the fans in the coming season.

To me, martinez, lambert and OGS are a pretty good shortlist -in the right section of the universe of managers, and i think that any of the three of them will do a very good job here over time.

Compared to the debacle that has been the last couple of appointments, so far, randy's performance post season has been exemplary.

Excellent post, probably because I agree 100%

Great short list of promising young managers who think, live and sleep the game. All tactically astute, all play progressive, pass and move football, all would be exciting.

I would be happy with any of those three. :D

I would not have expected us to go back for him after last time but it may be that he really had some loyalty to Wigan and Whelan. Having been given the OK to leave for Liverpool I think he can see the time is now right to part and he may not think Liverpool will offer him the job or give him the time to change them before moving him on if they are not top 6 within a season so he likes the idea of building a team from scratch as he has done before but this time with us and being given a couple of seasons to show signs of progress.

I would be happy with him, OGS or Lambert who now appear to be the 3 front runners. We could do a lot worse than all three of them.

I think this is the reason why we can't rule martinez out. Randy will admire his loyalty, and just because Whelan spouted off to the media like he did, it doesn't mean this is what was happening behind closed doors.

Martinez seems an honorable kind of guy and i would guess whelan doing what he did didn't sit well with him either

I would like martinez here, not saying he is a special manager or anything, i just thiink he is what we would get with OGS, but martinez is used to doing the job in the prem.

Less of a risk in my opinion.