Staying at Wigan: Roberto Martinez (Wigan Athletic)

VillanousOne

In a curious piece of irony, the private jet that used to be owned by Dave Whelan is due into BHX tomorrow.

Nothing to do with the Villa job though.........

Trees packing bag for work tomorrow -

Sandwich - check

Ready salted crisps - check

Full fat coke - check

Apple - check

Enormous telephoto lens - check

Daddy Whelan has already said, in certain words, that we are not good enough for his boy Martinez but a club like Liverpool would be the 'Big Club' he deserves.

**** him, he had his chance last season and blew it. If we weren't good enough for him then we are in a worse place now that McLeish has **** us over.

Is it just me who thinks Whelan is a complete cock? Martinez ought to grow some and decide his own future. Whelan decides who he can talk to?

Whelan was proved to be a grade A copper bottomed rocket polisher last year when he gave it large about Villa approaching RM knowing full well he was going nowhere.

Jees the state of some of you in here. Martinez would be a great appointment - him or OGS would be fantastic. We're going to get some sdecent football hopefully for teh first time since Big Ron - this appointment will help us go back to start playing football. I'm very impressed with OGs and would love to have him here - but if randy decided that he wanted martinez i would not be disapointed how could any reasonable person be? Yes he's had slow starts to the season and leaves it late but look at what he has to work with, garbage -their best player is Moses FFS. Last season NZogbia was their best player he's come here to a proper club and looked way off the boil and out his depth - is that due to Mcleish or Not? There's something in it for sure.

Don't underestimate the way in which martinez has somehow made Caldwell look a decent (and integral) player, he went agaisnt the grain and switched to 343 which as tactical decisions go - is probably the decision of the season - it transformed the club.

they looked down at xmas who did he get it Bousejour and Maloney spending what? £5m for the two and got them looking great - maloney looks a greta little player now - he never looked a proper premier league player under MONs ouitdated tactucs.

IF we get Martinez - embrace it and embrace him! It's a million miles a better signing then last season. He has a massive future ahead of him and if we choose him and he wants us over liverpool then you have to hand it to him he deserves to get his chnace.

he'd be a great fit for us.

I'd be happy with any of Martinez, Lambert or OGS. Assuming they are all actually in contention I would just prefer the one who presents the most knowledge and best plan for villa's future in their interview. Seeing as there is no killer candidate IMO and their style/experience/honours are all broadly similar, this is how I think it should be done.

I'm not overwhelmed by the idea of Martinez, I really don't see 2 years of a limping Wigan side staying up as an achievement. We would do well to stay away from the two Roberto's.

2 Roberto's?

Martinez would be way down my list.

They were dead and buried at one stage last season - and avoided relegation by a single goal the day before.

If keeping wigan in the PL is such a feat - why isn't everyone clamoring for steve bruce - who got wigan to a much higher placing

I made the point about Steve Bruce a few days ago

He did much better at Wigan, think he got them to 9th

He also got SHA to 9th on a tight budget

Much better manager than Martinez IMHO

Martinez would be way down my list.

They were dead and buried at one stage last season - and avoided relegation by a single goal the day before.

If keeping wigan in the PL is such a feat - why isn't everyone clamoring for steve bruce - who got wigan to a much higher placing

i agree with this. martinez is certainly the man behind swansea's footballing ethos, but at the same time everyone seems to forget that he's wigan's manager for the entire season, not just the last 6 weeks where he pulls them out of the relegation spots by the skin of their teeth - he's the man in charge who presided over getting them down there to begin with

The difference between Bruce and Martinez is we know exactly what Bruce is capable of. 9th!!

Hes had lots of opportunity to show he is capable of more. Hes not. Even when he hasnt got a tight budget. In fact he gets worse the more he spends.

Martinez for me has a lot more potential.

Also, Martinez style (which he believes in and sticks with), he is installing into players who are not that great. Hes got very poor prem players playing at times, very good football.