No Longer Interested: (Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - Molde FK)

VillaGoMarching

Possibly even Chelsea.. Whatever it is he's a fan of our club, maybe he's had the most success as us on Fifa 12 whatever it is I'm glad he's turning down our rivals.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely the worst case scenario would be that he turns out to be worse than McLeish?

genuinely not sure that's possible

the guy is a winner, it's in his blood. mcleish on the other hand was happy just not to be too much of a loser. that alone should be enough to actually see even a slight improvement, managerial abilities aside

:) This.

Obviously, technically, he COULD be worse than McLeish, but...

I was just playing the part of the 'Ah...but' awkward cuss, but yeah, people are putting a fair bit of faith in hazy, nebulous things like gut feeling and hunch and vibe (plus Clive Tyldesley's voice from 1999 spooling through in their head shouting "AND SOLSKJAER HAS WON IT!!").

people are putting a fair bit of faith in hazy, nebulous things like gut feeling and hunch and vibe.

You're right, but:

- The "vibe" is a very positive one, it will unite the club and put bums on seats.

- Norwegians who follow their league have nothing but praise for him and his management.

- And, hey, 5 million instant Villa fans if he comes. We wouldn't get that with any of the other candidates!

In which case should we be really turning up our noses at a manager who's just won the Champions League?

Avram Grant came about as close as is possible to winning the Champions League at Chelsea in '08, in very similar circumstances to RDM.

He's still a shit manager.

RDM lost 13/18 games with West Brom in the prem, leaving them 17th (better by +1GD than 18th Wigan). With just the remaining 13 or so games Hodgson got them to about 12th and well clear of the relegation zone.

RDM did well at Chelsea (in the cups) and mediocre with them in the league (still an improvement over AVB) but he did it by indulging the old guard. He wont get the Chelsea job because the old guard need to go. He cannot do that, he shouldnt be trusted to do that.

Similarly, we need somebody to get rid of the old guard and bring in a new era, RDM's only success is by indulging the old guard and playing shit football (and getting EXTREMELY lucky last night). The exact opposite of what we need.

I will be honest, I am not too keen on RDM personally, but not because I think he is a bad manager. I cannot believe how anyone can state that Lerner would mess up again if he was to appoint RDM. This is a man who has just won the Champions League with Chelsea for crying out loud. People will argue that Chelsea have a great squad, but this is an ageing Chelsea side which is definitely not as formidable as it once was. Ok, they still have match winners. But, Di Matteo deserves enormous plaudits for what he's done. When he took over from AVB, he had a squad that was dejected, deflated and low on confidence. He instantly instilled new found belief in the side. Maybe it is his Chelsea connections that has engaged the players to him so quickly and bought into his ethos on how to get the job done...Whatever it is, he has to be commended.

I personally don't want him because I believe we need a new, fresh, young manager who is just starting on the managerial ladder and is hungry to manager Aston Villa FC. RDM may fit into parts of that criteria, but he certainly has the biggest achievement in football under his belt now. Would he buy into a new and completely different project....I'm not so sure.

But that is why I want OGS. It is clear from his interviews and the other possibilities in the Prem that he has turned down, that he has great respect for Aston Villa as a club; our history and what we stand for. That is the type of person I want in charge of our club. Someone who is hungry to start a new project with the full support of the board, the fans and the City. I hope we see him here soon. If it isn't OGS, I will support whoever we appoint; but OGS just seems to fit the brackets perfectly.

In which case should we be really turning up our noses at a manager who's just won the Champions League?

Avram Grant came about as close as is possible to winning the Champions League at Chelsea in '08, in very similar circumstances to RDM.

RDM lost 13/18 games with West Brom in the prem, leaving them 17th (better by +1GD than 18th Wigan). With just the remaining 13 or so games Hodgson got them to about 12th and well clear of the relegation zone.

RDM did well at Chelsea (in the cups) and mediocre with them in the league (still an improvement over AVB) but he did it by indulging the old guard. He wont get the Chelsea job because the old guard need to go. He cannot do that, he shouldnt be trusted to do that.

Similarly, we need somebody to get rid of the old guard and bring in a new era, RDM's only success is by indulging the old guard and playing shit football (and getting EXTREMELY lucky last night). The exact opposite of what we need.

X10

X10

Agreed!

I will be honest, I am not too keen on RDM personally, but not because I think he is a bad manager. I cannot believe how anyone can state that Lerner would mess up again if he was to appoint RDM. This is a man who has just won the Champions League with Chelsea for crying out loud. People will argue that Chelsea have a great squad, but this is an ageing Chelsea side which is definitely not as formidable as it once was. Ok, they still have match winners. But, Di Matteo deserves enormous plaudits for what he's done. When he took over from AVB, he had a squad that was dejected, deflated and low on confidence. He instantly instilled new found belief in the side. Maybe it is his Chelsea connections that has engaged the players to him so quickly and bought into his ethos on how to get the job done...Whatever it is, he has to be commended.

I personally don't want him because I believe we need a new, fresh, young manager who is just starting on the managerial ladder and is hungry to manager Aston Villa FC. RDM may fit into parts of that criteria, but he certainly has the biggest achievement in football under his belt now. Would he buy into a new and completely different project....I'm not so sure.

But that is why I want OGS. It is clear from his interviews and the other possibilities in the Prem that he has turned down, that he has great respect for Aston Villa as a club; our history and what we stand for. That is the type of person I want in charge of our club. Someone who is hungry to start a new project with the full support of the board, the fans and the City. I hope we see him here soon. If it isn't OGS, I will support whoever we appoint; but OGS just seems to fit the brackets perfectly.

Nicely put dude! Couldn't agree more.

Let's face it, no-one really has any idea if Solskjaer would make a good manager for AVFC in its present state. Neither do we really know what our present state is - how much money is on the table for a new manager, what expectations will be set by the board, etc.

If I ask myself the question, "Could we do better than Solskjaer?" the answer must surely be "Yes". If I ask myself, "Do I understand what the board's strategy would be in going for Solskjaer?" again, I draw a blank.

He is an unknown quantity and so, to be frank, are Lerner/Faulkner when it comes to appointments.

If he is appointed I will be hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. Given the recent history of our club there doesn't seem any other sensible attitude.

I think the OGS lovers would take him of Jose Mourinio , all because of a manure propaganda video.

Oh, put a sock in it townmouse.

It sounds like we won't hear anything until Friday, OGS said that he was focusing on the next two games, I believe the second match is on Friday. It would be strange if they disrupted that basic outline.

So it looks like a long week of fruitless F5 pressing.

I think this is what we will hear soon:

You are my Solskjaer,

my Ole Solskjaer,

You make me happy,

when skies are grey,

He came to villa

To be a winner

please don't take,

my Solskjaer away!