Cardiff City

The_Rev

And yet we did change to claret & blue...
Going off that historical kits site it seems we've been in claret and blue since the inception of the Football League in 1887...? On top of that our very first kit, 13 years prior to that, was also C&B (including a snazzy blue yarmulke).
  • Like 1

And yet we did change to claret & blue...
Going off that historical kits site it seems we've been in claret and blue since the inception of the Football League in 1887...? On top of that our very first kit, 13 years prior to that, was also C&B (including a snazzy blue yarmulke).
Fairly sure there was a point at which we were regarded as having a 'chocolate' strip. I'd check John Lerwill's site but I can't be arsed :) That's not the same as the chocolate being a one-off either.

Money would appear to be the motivation behind a radical overhaul that the club's Malaysian owner, Tan Sri Vincent Tan Chee Yioun, is prepared to oversee, with red said to be viewed as a more dynamic colour in Asia when it comes to marketing merchandise.

Prick. Buy a club that plays in red shirts then. Despicable money-faced bunch of ****.

Villa are a very historical club that founded association football as a domestic league. You can't change the colours we play in.

Back onto thread title, Professional Welsh Football is organised as such:

Bluebirds

Swans

Dragons.

(for the more pedantic, yes, I'm missing off Newport County)

Change to red for Cardiff means they're not the bluebirds. Change the crest to Welsh Dragon and they will be called the Dragons. They can't be called the Dragons, Wrexham are already called that. Wrexham is one of the oldest clubs in the UK. Why **** up 140 years of Welsh football history because in Asia people like the colour red?

Dickheads.

Money would appear to be the motivation behind a radical overhaul that the club's Malaysian owner, Tan Sri Vincent Tan Chee Yioun, is prepared to oversee, with red said to be viewed as a more dynamic colour in Asia when it comes to marketing merchandise.

Prick. Buy a club that plays in red shirts then. Despicable money-faced bunch of ****.

Agreed.

It's the classic moral dilemma though, isn't it?

Imagine some obscenely rich oil sheikh wants to buy the Villa. He's willing to finance the playing squad on a scale that would make Manchester City look like Halifax Town. All we have to do is scrap claret and blue, and play in red.

Personally, I'd rather see us slide down to the Conference and keep the colours, but perhaps I'm a minority?

I'll have the titles and cups coming out of our ears, and a pinky spotty kit please :)

Just saw on the local news that the club's board is meeting on Monday and will "rubber stamp" the proposals - though how much of that is media-fuelled bluster I'm not sure (as it was ITV local news!).

Couple of the guys in the office were joking about all those poor people who'll be having to get their bluebird tattoos changed now =P

1. Yes but we should have changed it in 1911
No, we shouldn't. Stop with this already.

I'm not saying that we should change it now.

Just that we should have changed it back then :winkold:

I know what you're saying and I'm saying, no we shouldn't have changed back then.

I know what you're saying and I'm saying, no we shouldn't have changed back then.

We should have.

If you are a football fan from Northfield, Birmingham and you choose to support a Birmingham team - are you more likely to choose Aston Villa or Birmingham City?

Probably Birmingham City because Northfield is in Birmingham but it is not in Aston.

If we were called Birmingham Villa we would increase our chances of attracting that fan.

We should have.

If you are a football fan from Northfield, Birmingham and you choose to support a Birmingham team - are you more likely to choose Aston Villa or Birmingham City?

Probably Birmingham City because Northfield is in Birmingham but it is not in Aston.

If we were called Birmingham Villa we would increase our chances of attracting that fan.

If anything keeping our name as Aston Villa actually attracted more fans. It's different. Birmingham Villa is boring, and Villa is in Aston anyway.

Going by your logic we might as well have just called ourselves England Villa.

We should have.

If anything keeping our name as Aston Villa actually attracted more fans. It's different. Birmingham Villa is boring, and Villa is in Aston anyway.

Now that would be silly :winkold:

The name Aston Villa maybe helps us get fans from outside Birmingham but then it probably loses us fans from inside Birmingham.

Some people probably think "Why should I support Aston Villa when I'm not from Aston"

We should have.

Now that would be silly :winkold:

The name Aston Villa maybe helps us get fans from outside Birmingham but then it probably loses us fans from inside Birmingham.

Some people probably think "Why should I support Aston Villa when I'm not from Aston"

Because if they're not idiots they'll also know that Aston is in Birmingham.

Utter crap, if thats the case why do sha have less fans than us even now?

Because we are the bigger club.

But if we were called Birmingham Villa, then there would be no reason for any Brummie to support Birmingham City.

Well Tom Hanks isn't from Aston and it didn't put him off (not seen him in the Holte End this season).

From talking to a few, I think many Cardiff fans would happily see their team play in cellophane if it meant getting into the Prem.

Ignoring TRS-T's rather bizarre view that keeps on being smacked against a brick wall and is also one of the best windup merchants on the site (and that's saying something), Cardiff fans are, for some reason, being far more passive about this than I thought - some polls at the moment suggesting 50/50 split.

I know they've been knocking at the Premiership door for 10 years on and off, but money should not take history and tradition away. There is no reason at all for the investor to demand the change to red at all.

They do not seem to care, want to care or understand about what makes history such an integral part of our football clubs in the UK. To them, they want to increase presence abroad with the lucky red dragon. If this isn't stopped by the Welsh Assembly or the Football League, who's next? (As an aside, the football league already let the MK Dons scenario go which was a terrible decision too)...We're going to become like the Americans if we're not careful. Football should not be made into the money-obsessed franchise shit that the US have opted for in the NFL/NHL/NBA etc. They did it that way because it's the American way, that's how they ended up or like to do things. This is the UK and we do things differently here.

Â