Cardiff City

The_Rev

On the subject of the shirt change it is really weird watching Cardiff at home, as the fans still can't make their minds up on it. Its a mixture of blue, red and other. Coupled with the seats all being blue, it looks like some odd summer friendly match being played. I still get confused when a team like Everton or Chelsea turn up in blue whilst the 'bluebirds' are in their newly branded red shirts. Just confusing.

This could become a daily thing.

Malky Mackay: Cardiff City deny reports they asked manager to quit

_70382481_watf.jpg

Cardiff City have denied reports they asked manager Malky Mackay to resign, BBC Wales Sport understands.

Mackay is believed to have been left shocked and angered by Cardiff's recent decision to suspend his right-hand man but is not prepared to quit.

The Premier League club have suspended head of recruitment Iain Moody and brought in 23-year-old Alisher Apsalyamov as his acting replacement.

They have yet to comment about the suspension of Moody.

In his scouting role, former Watford press officer Moody helped the Premier League newcomers sign summer recruits including Gary Medel from Sevilla and Steven Caulker from Tottenham.

Apsalyamov is not believed to have any experience in football and his appointment is the latest controversy in the reign of owner Vincent Tan.

Tan caused consternation among many Cardiff fans during the summer of 2012 after changing the club's colours from blue to red, while there have been reports of dressing-room unrest over bonuses.

Cardiff City Supporters' Trust chairman Tim Hartley said recent developments and the appointment of Apsalyamov were of concern.

He was worried about the impact it would have on Mackay's position and said the club needed to issue an official statement.

"Fans want Malky Mackay - who has done a fantastic job as manager, taking the club to the Premier League - to remain at Cardiff City," Hartley said.

"We don't want to see any action taken to undermine his position as manager and Cardiff City's efforts to have a successful first season in the top division.

"There are fears that the current developments could drive Malky into the arms of another Premier League club and that would be hugely damaging for the Bluebirds.

"Malky is a talented manager who has huge respect among the fans for what he has delivered.

"Fans deserve a clear statement on the position from the club on what has been happening and Malky's position needs to be made perfectly clear."

Former England boss Graham Taylor, meanwhile, says he is bemused by recent developments.

"It is a very, very strange situation," said Taylor, who was Watford chairman and worked with Mackay and Moody at Vicarage Road.

"I cannot believe... the decision to replace Iain. I just cannot believe it.

"Whether your owner, chairman has kept you informed of all this, I cannot say. Only Malky will know that. From a distance it is very, very surprising."

"I think there is a distinct possibility of [Mackay leaving].

"On the face of it, if you are the manager of all things football... you are being usurped."

"It will be interesting to see what Malky's reaction is. I do hope this doesn't have an adverse reaction on the team's performance and results.

"He is the manager and he has just got the club into the Premier League after such a long time out of it.

"I don't think you will see any public tantrums from Malky or anything like that [but] I know he will be extremely upset and very disappointed."

Taylor says Mackay left Watford for Cardiff because of problems with the owner at Vicarage Road.

"Watford had problems with their owner as well," he said.

"It will be very interesting to see how he reacts because I honestly believe if Malky were to leave, it wouldn't be too long before he has another job somewhere else."

our board gets a lot of stick but see what happening at Sunderland, Newcastle, Blackburn and now Cardiff makes you appreciate them a bit more. 

appointing McLeish was bad but not as nuts as these teams

This is only going one way....and Mackay leaving will very much be Cardiff's loss.

I had a feeling he might've been the first prem manager to go, obviously Di Canio put paid to that but now he's in the global spotlight Vincent Tan will not resist making more oddball decisions so eventually one will trigger a resignation.

Yes the politics of modern football are mostly shite. It comes to something when the best part of football is the 90 minutes on the pitch and even people can't stand that with the diving and cheating.

• 2 months later...

Tan's at it again:

Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan has told Malky Mackay he will not be given 'a single penny' in the January transfer window in an explosive statement that will stun the Bluebirds boss and fans tonight.

The sensational statement, released by chief executive Simon Lim, accused Mackay of overspending by £15m during the summer - a move Lim officially revealed directly led to the removal of Mackay's close aide and former head of recruitment Iain Moody.

Mackay's future has now been plunged into grave doubt, with Lim and Tan publicly slamming the boss for 'unfairly raising supporters' expectations' after the Scot revealed he was targeting three new signings in the January transfer window.

The statement read: “Tan Sri Vincent Tan was extremely upset to read quotes from the Manager concerning the possibility of new recruits, before he had been informed whether funds would be made available. He believes that doing so unfairly raises supporter expectations, placing unnecessary pressure on the club.

“His view is that due to the funds already committed, including the originally authorised summer transfer budget of £35m that rose to £50m in total, including add-ons, the Manager has been fully supported. The overspending of £15m has upset Tan Sri greatly, resulting in the removal on Iain Moody as Head of Recruitment. As such, he has stated that not a single penny will be made available in January.

“Having been the highest spending promoted club and the seventh highest spender in the Premier League last summer, the owner believes that the Manager has been given the best possible chance of retaining our Premier League status.”

The comments mark a new low in the relationship between Tan and Mackay, which was blown apart by Moody's exit in October.

The deep tension around the club appeared to be easing in recent weeks, with chairman Mehmet Dalman understood to be attempting to build bridges between owner and manager.

Those efforts now appear to have been crushed by the latest developments, with Tan publicly showing his fury.

Mackay is likely to be equally angry with the statement issued tonight, having previously denied there was any overspend during the summer and hailing Moody's influence.

It remains to be seen what the future holds for Mackay. with the Bluebirds boss previously adamant he will  not resign despite the difficult circumstances of recent months.

Mackay made the comments that have sparked the latest bombshell at the club following the 1-0 win over West Brom on Saturday.

He said: “It would be great if we can bring in three quality additions to the squad. I would look to strengthen all three departments in terms of a defender, a midfielder and an attacking player,” said Mackay.

“I will talk to my chairman who will then discuss it with his board of directors and our owner and I will take my lead from them. It’s up to them then what financially they want to spend in January. I’ve got my lists of players whether they be targets or loans and for various positions.

“We’ve got to try and strengthen again. We are a first time club so to speak. Everyone barring two other clubs has got a massive head start on us in terms of quality. They might only need to bring in one or two over a season. We had to bring in a group of eight players which was going to give us the chance to survive."

link

To think, people actually moan about Lerner. At least he doesn't publicly undermine Lambert or publicly state he won't be giving him any funds.

Tan has ideas way above his station, he's been trying to provoke Mackay into resigning for months now for some bizarre reason. I think Malky will keep Cardiff up and then resign in the summer, plenty of prem teams would happily pick him up then. Likes of West Brom and Norwich are more stable environments.

So annoying. Living in Cardiff it's great to see them finally in the Prem but Tan is an embarrassment. If it was another club they'd be on my list of preferred clubs to go down. Mackay has a win win situation though, he"ll walk into any job no problems.

It's gonna be another Blackburn

Tans actually gotten them promoted and invested a good amount though. He's pretty crazy, but they've had good under him, unlike the Venkys, who immediately started to tear apart the club when they took over

It's gonna be another Blackburn

Tans actually gotten them promoted and invested a good amount though. He's pretty crazy, but they've had good under him, unlike the Venkys, who immediately started to tear apart the club when they took over

Worth it for that cracking advert.

• Like 2

I think an often overlooked quality when it comes to owners of football clubs is discreetness. No good ever comes from being a loudmouth.

Think the best is somewhere in the middle, you can be as quiet as you like, but if you **** up the finances, you have no hope.

Â