General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

If the Rafa rumour is true that we have approached him, then surely we've got a big pot of gold to spend this summer, as I can't see him taking the job if not. After all he supposedly turned us down because he wanted something like £50-£60m to spend and we said chuck that!

I'd be surprised if Martinez comes to us. If Liverpool don't offer him the job (He is in Miami today) I could see him staying at Wigan. He has it fairly easy there so why come to a club that is somewhat in turmoil.

I would welcome him with open arms if he came but he's not my first choice.

IF we have anything like a decent budget then it has got to be Benitez, he's genuinely a word class manager unlike the rest we've been linked with. It's a no-brainer. Failing that I'd probably go with Martinez, he's done a fantastic job at Wigan and could surprise a few imo.

We can but hope the right man will come out of this when due process has been carried out and a few self proclaimed ITK's how spouted bollocks on twitter/message boards, until then I don't know how anyone can call it.

Fixed :winkold:

I agree..... but then again I don't gamble so some people take it seriously.

However never underestimate the power of twitter - ITKs were tweeting about Amie Winehouse being found dead that morning at least an hour or so before the news broke on the wires...

99% of tweeps spout Rolex on Twitter.... but there are always a few who just can't keep their mouths shut over intel.

Wouldn't be surprised if board is looking managers outside PL, which I hope they are doing. Would bring their knowledge from the other countries and they would have a "clean slate" to work on and fresh views to start rebuilding.

cannot believe people would turn down Rafa Benitez.....

inspired one of the greatest come backs in european football....

has won trophies across Europe but nah who gives a **** coz he bought David Ngog...

we are an average premier league club and we think we are better than Benitez?

unbelievable...i'd give my right bollock to have that winner managing us

When do we all think/hope an appointment will be made? It's important to get it right but bloody hell, it's exhausting all this anticipation. At the beginning it was exciting, now it's more like a strange mix of excitement, boredom and desperation!

People keep saying the wouldn't expect anything til the middle of next week... Any reason why?

So last week was preliminary talks/phone calls from and to prospective candidates - OGS being one of them.

This week & next week it's second interviews/ further talks with the prospective candidates

In the meantime OGS pulled out of the running for "family reasons"

Then presumably an outstanding candidate will become apparent.

And we are surmising the candidates - RM, RDM, FSW, GP .... plus XXX/XXX?

If this is true then it At least sounds like the club are thinking outside the box and being very thorough.

We can but hope the right man will come out of this when due process has been carried out until then I don't know how anyone can call it.

Seems like a good summary. It's not the way we are used to in the PL but it seems a very American way, the exact same as Liverpool are doing.

All these different rumours could be true, we could be talking to all of them!

When do we all think/hope an appointment will be made? It's important to get it right but bloody hell, it's exhausting all this anticipation. At the beginning it was exciting, now it's more like a strange mix of excitement, boredom and desperation!

People keep saying the wouldn't expect anything til the middle of next week... Any reason why?

Because Villa works on their own time...everything takes twice as long to finish.

cannot believe people would turn down Rafa Benitez.....

inspired one of the greatest come backs in european football....

has won trophies across Europe but nah who gives a **** coz he bought David Ngog...

we are an average premier league club and we think we are better than Benitez?

unbelievable...i'd give my right bollock to have that winner managing us

This is so true. Not to mention he bought a lot of these players, like N'gog, to sell them on for more £££ because of a lack of funds towards the end. Even more impressive really.

For me personally, the fact Martinez is even being considered for the Liverpool job shows how far that club has fallen. The names that were being thrown around the time Houiller left were of very high callibre, Jose, Rafa etc. I suppose the premiership has gone back an awful lot since then. I do have one question, if anyone could answer it, why oh why is Deadly Doug being involved in these managerial pursuits. Ive no doubt in my mind he would have been against McLeish.
Err, Doug was very supportive of McLeish. He loved him.

villa can't afford to buy 50 players in the hope 4 will be world class like Rafa did.

I think we have to face up to the fact, Martinez and Lambert are unlikely to come to Villa, we also have no idea who is on our wanted list.

Everything out there is pure press and fan invented speculation, the only thing concrete was OGS and that was leaked.

We have to be patient rather than believing what the press are dredging up to fill column inches and **** twitter crap!

I expect the manager to not be anyone obvious that the press is lazily linking us with. I hope it is someone fresh young and unexpected rather than the obvious newbies who were are placing way too much praise and hope on, and the tired old guard of managers who should have been shot years ago. But i know nothing, this time tomorrow we could have Lionel Hutz in place.

All these different rumours could be true, we could be talking to all of them!

How frustrating for the bookies.... and in the meantime they're making a killing by someone stating and the favourite today is XXXXX

villa can't afford to buy 50 players in the hope 4 will be world class like Rafa did.

what manager is immune to buying shit?

every manager buys there fair share of turds....

if Randy throws 30m at the transfer budget and we have Benitez as manager i will jizz my pants...

if he is backed he would get us a trophy within 4 years IMO

I think we have to face up to the fact, Martinez and Lambert are unlikely to come to Villa, we also have no idea who is on our wanted list.

Everything out there is pure press and fan invented speculation, the only thing concrete was OGS and that was leaked.

We have to be patient rather than believing what the press are dredging up to fill column inches and **** twitter crap!

I expect the manager to not be anyone obvious that the press is lazily linking us with. I hope it is someone fresh young and unexpected rather than the obvious newbies who were are placing way too much praise and hope on, and the tired old guard of managers who should have been shot years ago. But i know nothing, this time tomorrow we could have Lionel Hutz in place.

This, and there's been no reason to believe that Villa is looking at the names there's been touted out, for all we know the board might have not even looked at PL/RM/RDM/FSW/etc.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the manager who they appoint haven't been mentioned by anyone - especially if they get consulting from Klinsmann.

Media just links people at Villa pretty much randomly hoping that they hit the right target.

i think win % isnt a stat that you can hold much with on !

For Example

Manager A wins 1 game and loses 4 of his opening 5 matches. Win % = 20

Manager B Loses 1 game and Draws 4 of his opening 5 matches. Win% = 0

its not the be all and end all..... its points on the board that count !

Torres, Reina, Agger, Skrtel, Johnson, Mascherano, Alonso, Arbeloa, Kuyt, Luis Garcia, Bellamy, Lucas.

^^^

A lot of wordclass players in that list, not to mention some bargains like Rodriguez for £1m. He bought some crap but what manager doesn't? A lot of players he turned a profit on btw...something that could be crucial for us.

The only thing going for Rafa IMO, is that he isn't Mcleish.

I'd take Rodgers over him in a heart beat.

that is just mental speak......... ill take that comment serious when Rodgers has won what Rafa has....... Rodgers has done **** all in comparison..........