General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

Why ?

He has done very well at Blackpool, and on top of that ther teally deserved to win Vs West Ham.

Don't think that fans would want half-arsed manager who used to be famous.

After McLeish I think most fane would welcome Kermit the frog ?!

Not that Kermit :D

I can't help but think that Lerner is casting his net much further and much wider than ever before and may be ignoring this country completely. Let's face it, if we had approached Wigan, Whelan would have told the whole World by now. As it stands, I don't believe that we have made contact.

If Lerner was really targeting a Gus Poyet type etc why did he arrange for a relatively inexperienced manger, working abroad, to be the first person he arranges to see? In addition, why has a meeting with UK based managers not been set up before now if Lerner really has got a shortlist longer than OGS (which I believe he has).

Furthermore, and I know he has family, but Lerner came over to the UK to commence the manager search and I don't understand why he would have then flown back to America for 2 - 3 days to then come back to the UK. I honestly believe that he went over there to either interview someone in America or alternatively to fly elsewhere from America where he wouldn't be tracked.

For example, I was looking earlier at Michael Laudrup's Wiki page and it is almost as if his Managerial Style on Wiki was a job application for the criteria Villa have set out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Laudrup

Managing career

Laudrup as Brøndby managerAfter his playing career ended with Ajax, Laudrup became a coach at age 36 when he started serving as an assistant coach for the Danish national team coach Morten Olsen in 2000. The national team would play a 4–2–3–1 formation, depending on two fast wingers and with the aim to dominate games with a short-passing possession game. Together they led Denmark to the knock-out stage of 2002 World Cup, after which Laudrup took the job as manager for Brøndby in the Danish Superliga. As his assistant coach, Laudrup paired up with former Danish championship winning manager John "Faxe" Jensen, who had played alongside him in the Danish national team.

At the start of his reign, Laudrup proclaimed a tactical scheme close to that which Olsen and he had coached at the national team. Laudrup renovated the Brøndby team by letting a large contingent of older and experienced players go, in favour of several new offensive players, and he gave the chance to young talents from the club's youth scheme. To ensure the defensive strength of the team, he hired the proven national team player Morten Wieghorst. In his first year as head coach, he managed the team to a Danish Cup win against FC Midtjylland in the final. After finishing runners up twice, he finally led the team to The Double in 2005.

After finishing runners-up in the 2005–06 season, Laudrup left Brøndby along with assistant coach John "Faxe" Jensen. He could not come to an agreement with Brøndby about renewing his contract, and therefore decided to leave the club. He was associated with several new jobs, including head coach of former club Real Madrid and rumours that he would replace Lars Lagerbäck as head coach for the Swedish national team. In 2007, Brøndby decided to name a new lounge at the stadium "The Michael Laudrup Lounge", with Laudrup's approval.

On 21 June 2007, he was linked to a move to Madrid's La Liga team Getafe by sports newspaper Marca. This was confirmed on 9 July 2007. During his stay in Getafe the club reached the final in Copa del Rey, but lost to Valencia, and the quarter finals in the UEFA Cup (lost in extra time to Bayern Munich). During his tenure, as successor to former Real Madrid manager Bernd Schuster, he brought a new brand of exciting and free-flowing attacking football to the club which brought back memoires of Laudrup as a player. His team, which is not one of the established forces in Spanish football, also enjoyed comparative success. However, he performed only one season as manager, tendering his resignation in May 2008.[14]

Since he announced his departure from Getafe he has been linked with jobs at Valencia, Benfica, Chelsea, Blackburn Rovers, Panathinaikos, CSKA Moscow and West Ham United. He almost got the job at Panathinaikos, but according to Danish media he wanted an option to allow him to leave, if he got an offer from a Spanish club. This could not be accepted by the Greeks, who chose Henk ten Cate instead. [15] On 12 September 2008, it was officially announced that Laudrup signed a 18-month contract with Spartak Moscow. However, he spent only 7 months in the post, being sacked on 15 April 2009 after Spartak's 0–3 loss to Dinamo Moscow in the Russian Cup.

On 22 October 2009, Spanish media announced that Laudrup would be appointed as new manager of Spanish side Atlético Madrid, replacing the short and unsuccessful run of Abel Resino, following Atletico's 4–0 Champions League defeat at the legs of Chelsea, but Laudrup and the club weren't able to agree on terms. The day after, on 23 October, Resino was sacked and Quique Sanchez Flores was appointed as coach as second choice instead of Laudrup.

In July 2010, Laudrup was appointed manager of RCD Mallorca on a contract that was to run until the end of June 2012. In his first season in Mallorca, Laudrup managed to keep a struggling Mallorca team, which was suffering from losing many first team players and who was ejected from the Europa League due to a bad financial situation, from relegation. At the beginning of the 2011–2012 season, on 27 September 2011, Laudrup resigned from his job, following the firing of his assistant, Erik Larsen. Laudrup cited that great frustration with Lorenzo Serra Ferrer, the club's Director of Football, leading to a bad work climate as the main reason for his resignation.[16]

Just a thought anyway people but I would really like an unknown to be our new manager so that the fanbase can try not to have already developed pre-conceptions and can unite as one behind whoever we appoint (similar to what would have happened if OGS hadn't been blackmailed by the Molde backers).

Here is the link to the thread of BHA fans discussing Poyet/Villa.

We seem to have a reputation for giving managers stick. Why is this? I know Houllier got a lot of stick (most of it unfair IMO) but McLeish hardly got any, and even the bit that he did get was well deserved. The media are to blame for this. They make out that we were on McLeish's back from day one.

i think its to do with the way the press has portrayed us over the years, not helped by the O'Leary comment that we're fickle.

Look at the O'Neill incidents in his last year, a lot of fans were annoyed that, although having a good year, if he had made some slight adjustments we could have achieved more. and the fans pointed these out. But instead of the press highlighting O'neill's oobvious flaws they decided to criticse the fans saying we were being harsh and having short memories.

Additionally, for some reason, the majroity of the press still think McLeish was treated harshly by us, despite his records before us and with us. A lot of them have decided to go down the line of looking at our squad and saying that we finished about where we should've, which is nonense.

In reality I do think we give managers a fair crack of the whip, especially compared to some sides. WEecould've easily gone down the Blackburn route and treated McLeish as badly as they did with Kean..

I can't help but think that Lerner is casting his net much further and much wider than ever before and may be ignoring this country completely. Let's face it, if we had approached Wigan, Whelan would have told the whole World by now. As it stands, I don't believe that we have made contact.

If Lerner was really targeting a Gus Poyet type etc why did he arrange for a relatively inexperienced manger, working abroad, to be the first person he arranges to see? In addition, why has a meeting with UK based managers not been set up before now if Lerner really has got a shortlist longer than OGS (which I believe he has).

Furthermore, and I know he has family, but Lerner came over to the UK to commence the manager search and I don't understand why he would have then flown back to America for 2 - 3 days to then come back to the UK. I honestly believe that he went over there to either interview someone in America or alternatively to fly elsewhere from America where he wouldn't be tracked.

For example, I was looking earlier at Michael Laudrup's Wiki page and it is almost as if his Managerial Style on Wiki was a job application for the criteria Villa have set out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Laudrup

Managing career

Laudrup as Brøndby managerAfter his playing career ended with Ajax, Laudrup became a coach at age 36 when he started serving as an assistant coach for the Danish national team coach Morten Olsen in 2000. The national team would play a 4–2–3–1 formation, depending on two fast wingers and with the aim to dominate games with a short-passing possession game. Together they led Denmark to the knock-out stage of 2002 World Cup, after which Laudrup took the job as manager for Brøndby in the Danish Superliga. As his assistant coach, Laudrup paired up with former Danish championship winning manager John "Faxe" Jensen, who had played alongside him in the Danish national team.

At the start of his reign, Laudrup proclaimed a tactical scheme close to that which Olsen and he had coached at the national team. Laudrup renovated the Brøndby team by letting a large contingent of older and experienced players go, in favour of several new offensive players, and he gave the chance to young talents from the club's youth scheme. To ensure the defensive strength of the team, he hired the proven national team player Morten Wieghorst. In his first year as head coach, he managed the team to a Danish Cup win against FC Midtjylland in the final. After finishing runners up twice, he finally led the team to The Double in 2005.

After finishing runners-up in the 2005–06 season, Laudrup left Brøndby along with assistant coach John "Faxe" Jensen. He could not come to an agreement with Brøndby about renewing his contract, and therefore decided to leave the club. He was associated with several new jobs, including head coach of former club Real Madrid and rumours that he would replace Lars Lagerbäck as head coach for the Swedish national team. In 2007, Brøndby decided to name a new lounge at the stadium "The Michael Laudrup Lounge", with Laudrup's approval.

On 21 June 2007, he was linked to a move to Madrid's La Liga team Getafe by sports newspaper Marca. This was confirmed on 9 July 2007. During his stay in Getafe the club reached the final in Copa del Rey, but lost to Valencia, and the quarter finals in the UEFA Cup (lost in extra time to Bayern Munich). During his tenure, as successor to former Real Madrid manager Bernd Schuster, he brought a new brand of exciting and free-flowing attacking football to the club which brought back memoires of Laudrup as a player. His team, which is not one of the established forces in Spanish football, also enjoyed comparative success. However, he performed only one season as manager, tendering his resignation in May 2008.[14]

Since he announced his departure from Getafe he has been linked with jobs at Valencia, Benfica, Chelsea, Blackburn Rovers, Panathinaikos, CSKA Moscow and West Ham United. He almost got the job at Panathinaikos, but according to Danish media he wanted an option to allow him to leave, if he got an offer from a Spanish club. This could not be accepted by the Greeks, who chose Henk ten Cate instead. [15] On 12 September 2008, it was officially announced that Laudrup signed a 18-month contract with Spartak Moscow. However, he spent only 7 months in the post, being sacked on 15 April 2009 after Spartak's 0–3 loss to Dinamo Moscow in the Russian Cup.

On 22 October 2009, Spanish media announced that Laudrup would be appointed as new manager of Spanish side Atlético Madrid, replacing the short and unsuccessful run of Abel Resino, following Atletico's 4–0 Champions League defeat at the legs of Chelsea, but Laudrup and the club weren't able to agree on terms. The day after, on 23 October, Resino was sacked and Quique Sanchez Flores was appointed as coach as second choice instead of Laudrup.

In July 2010, Laudrup was appointed manager of RCD Mallorca on a contract that was to run until the end of June 2012. In his first season in Mallorca, Laudrup managed to keep a struggling Mallorca team, which was suffering from losing many first team players and who was ejected from the Europa League due to a bad financial situation, from relegation. At the beginning of the 2011–2012 season, on 27 September 2011, Laudrup resigned from his job, following the firing of his assistant, Erik Larsen. Laudrup cited that great frustration with Lorenzo Serra Ferrer, the club's Director of Football, leading to a bad work climate as the main reason for his resignation.[16]

Just a thought anyway people but I would really like an unknown to be our new manager so that the fanbase can try not to have already developed pre-conceptions and can unite as one behind whoever we appoint (similar to what would have happened if OGS hadn't been blackmailed by the Molde backers).

I wouldn't be surprised of Klinsmann knows Laudrup, and wouldn't be a bad shout for manager of Villa.

Lucien Favre

Lucien Favre

Lucien Favre

Lucien Favre

Lucien Favre

Lucien Favre

Lucien Favre

Lucien Favre

Lucien Favre

Lucien Favre

Lucien Favre

Lucien Favre

Lucien Favre

Lucien Favre

Lucien Favre

Lucien Favre

Lucien Favre

Lucien Favre

Lucien Favre

Lucien Favre

Not a chance.

Not a chance.

Not a chance.

Not a chance.

Not a chance.

Not a chance.

Not a chance.

Not a chance.

Not a chance.

Not a chance.

Not a chance.

Not a chance.

Not a chance.

Not a chance.

Not a chance.

Not a chance.

Not a chance.

Not a chance.

:D

Hi all from Brisbane. Carrying on the left field suggestions, what about Nigel Clough? Would fit the boards requirements and always seems to get his teams playing decent stuff.

We seem to have a reputation for giving managers stick. Why is this? I know Houllier got a lot of stick (most of it unfair IMO) but McLeish hardly got any, and even the bit that he did get was well deserved. The media are to blame for this. They make out that we were on McLeish's back from day one.

TBH I thnk we do, DO'L got stick, GH did and AMc, we were on his back before he got here!

Any set of fans in our position would've done the same to these, at the time we did, especially D'OL and AMC, when they did. Not one set of fans would've have taken McLeish last season without a section vbeing in uproar, especially if he had just taken their local rivals down.

Arry gets stick all the time off Spurs fans, and look where they finished

Arsene does at Arsenal, look at what he has done for them over the years.

Look at Liverpool and the way they reated Roy.

Can anyone really remember what is was like not looking for a manager in the summer?

Yes, we spent most of it wondering whether MON had discovered the English channel.

Although I'm not 100% enamoured by the prospect of Poye, he does fit with the OGS style appointment, and im fairly sure im about to contadict myself with the points ill make. He's an unknown quantity and certainly seems to conduct himself well whenever he's in front of the media, something the club desperately needs. His record towards the back end of the season with Brighton wasn't great, and that, for me, would be a concern. The same concern that I have with Martinez who had Wigan in the bottom 3 for most of the season.

I do agree, however, that the foundations and philosophy at Swansea were built by Martinez, and Rodgers has simply added to them and has since made people sit up and think it was all Rodgers. When Wigan play with 3 centre halves, they look unplayable.

I'd still be hoping we've sounded out AVB as a candidate. For me, no matter how 'unrealistic' an appointment he'd be, I feel due to the fact he's available, it would be foolish to not approach him. Liverpool would be expecting him to turn them into a top 4 side by the end of next season, and if he didn't, would they hound him out thus leaving his reputation in England in tatters? If he were to come here, he'd be given time to instil a new philosophy at Villa and set us up for the future. If he's doing well, yes bigger clubs will come calling, but im happy with that as he'd be doing well. Perhaps that then opens up the chance for OGS to come in and replace him?

Hi all from Brisbane. Carrying on the left field suggestions, what about Nigel Clough? Would fit the boards requirements and always seems to get his teams playing decent stuff.

I don't know...Derby have had lengthy phases of games without a win in last two seasons, they had just one win in 12 games in the winter, and another dry shorter spell in january-february.

Anyone else will like there's a big appointment brewing? Ever since the OGS saga it's been eerily quiet.

No, I think PF and RL have been sat in the office scratching their heads trying to figure out who to go for next now OGS isnt available. :D