General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

Read carefully. It doesn't say we contacted McCarthy. It says McCarthy "had a telephone conversation with Faulkner" - even if true, that could just be Mick phoning up to put his name forward, as I'm sure dozens of managers looking for a PL job have done over the last couple of days.

Also, it was mentioned on some sports bulletin yesterday that Paul Faulkner said his phone hadn't stopped ringing.

I can imagine Mick's agent called Faulkner to put his client's name forward and Faulkner took his number out of courtesy.

I can also imagine that Mick has resorted to calling from a witheld number to get hold of him.

Honestly, considering their last mistake, I'd be shocked if Mick McCarthy has even been considered. If he got the job I don't know what I'd do but it would probably be illegal and involve excrement in some way.

If you think McCarthy is in the frame you're a bellend. I'm sorry but it's as simple as that.

That's what I thought this time last season about McCleish!

Nothing would surprise me about this appointment after the last one.

If McCarthy does get hired, which I honestly believe he won't (but you know our board), then I will just sit down and cry for hours on end in a dark corner...

Would that be more or less crying compared to last managerial appointment?

I'm not entirely sure.

Probably less since nobody is as bad as McLeish.

Read carefully. It doesn't say we contacted McCarthy. It says McCarthy "had a telephone conversation with Faulkner" - even if true, that could just be Mick phoning up to put his name forward, as I'm sure dozens of managers looking for a PL job have done over the last couple of days.

Also, it was mentioned on some sports bulletin yesterday that Paul Faulkner said his phone hadn't stopped ringing.

I can imagine Mick's agent called Faulkner to put his client's name forward and Faulkner took his number out of courtesy.

I can also imagine that Mick has resorted to calling from a witheld number to get hold of him.

Honestly, considering their last mistake, I'd be shocked if Mick McCarthy has even been considered. If he got the job I don't know what I'd do but it would probably be illegal and involve excrement in some way.

For taking villa forward it would be a joke of an appointment.

But what if Randy just wants someone to hold the fort, keep the dressing room in line, while he finds a buyer ? ..........then its a bit more feasible.

Does Randy want to bust a gut - pay out compo, for a team he watches 3/4 times a year ......

Look at the browns - they have a succesion of Duff managers .....

You can't rule it out - he appointed Mcleish.

Really hope we don't go for Martinez, can't see why so many people want him.

Martinez is my personal favourite for a number of reasons.

His name is Roberto, mine is Robert.

He is very positive

He wears a lovely suit

He can bring Diame with him and get the best out of N'Zogbia

Failing him, I'd be happy with Lambert or Rodgers.

Whoever we get, I just hope the fans give him time! I really think that this next appointment, if give the chance, could be with us for years.

Hopefully this years terrible season will mean that the next manager gets more of a chance from the fans, even if we're not winning game after game.

I would hope that McCarthy would get the same response from Faulkner as the lady from the Villa ticket office got from me a few weeks ago when she telephoned to enquire whether I would be renewing my season ticket:

"No, because I don't want to watch crap every week".

It's Rodgers for me.

I'd love to see us change style and I think with a bit of backing that he wont get at Swansea, he will be able to add a few central players, a winger and a forward who would let us impose on the vast majority of sides and dictate terms for once.

I would like see Andre Villas-Boas myself, rumours in metro we are after him:-

metro

American billionaire Lerner touched down in the Midlands on Tuesday, less than 24 hours after he had sanctioned the dismissal of McLeish, after a season which saw the club flirt with relegation, finishing just two points above the drop zone.

Lerner was eventually persuaded to cancel the Scot's £2 million-a-year deal, that has two terms left to run, by club officials last week, who have been increasingly concerned by an ongoing fan revolt, that began with his appointment at the start of the season, having previously been relegated with city rivals Birmingham.

McLeish's failure to adequately replace the likes of Ashley Young and Stewart Downing, plus his reputation for what fans have dubbed 'boring football', have led Villa to look for a vibrant young manager as a replacement, with a four-man short list agreed just before Lerner's arrival in the country.

Metro understands that the list includes two current Premier League managers, thought to be Wigan's Roberto Martinez and Norwich's Paul Lambert, and two currently out of work bosses - one of which is believed to be former Chelsea coach Andre Villas-Boas.

The other is, as yet, unknown, but contrary to speculation, he is not Mick McCarthy, or ex Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez, although the latter is a board favourite, but has told the club he has too many reservations over taking the position.

another link

ASTON Villa manager Alex McLeish has been sacked, according to BBC Sport.

Goal.com exclusively revealed in April that senior officials were dissatisfied with the Scot’s stewardship of the club, with attendance dwindling and notable unrest among supporters at his previous association with local rivals Birmingham and a perceived negative style of football.

It is understood that club owner Randy Lerner flew in from the United States to speak with the Scot and chief executive Paul Faulkner to finalise the termination after discussions over whether the manager should take responsibility for the season’s failures or whether the difficult circumstances he faced over the course of the campaign should be taken into account.

The Midlands club finished in 16th place and had to wait until the penultimate fixture to secure their survival, registering the club’s worst home record in their history with just four wins at Villa Park along the way.

Meanwhile former Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas could be back to haunt his old club next season.

Record says AVB's representatives have fielded interest from Aston Villa with the axe hanging over manager Alex McLeish

Really hope we don't go for Martinez, can't see why so many people want him.

Martinez is my personal favourite for a number of reasons.

His name is Roberto, mine is Robert.

He is very positive

He wears a lovely suit

He can bring Diame with him and get the best out of N'Zogbia

I like your rationale. I have had the same thoughts about Montella (in the sense of the lovely suit, at least)...