Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

Waiting for Norwich ragers :3

Evening All - Hoped I'd never see this thread re-opened :lol:

As you might remember from my earlier posts in this thread, I never actually thought PL would go at this point. But looks like his time is up with us and if he has quit theres a certain sense of irony about it as its exactly what happened when we got him from Colchester

There will no doubt be some ragers but its one of those things that most reasonably sensible Norwich fans would happen at some point. Personally I'd have liked to see him give us one more season but there you go. Sure he'll do well for you.

Just a quick question for you, did Peter the Pointer (ie Peter Grant) get the bullet at the same time as McLeish?

Cheers

KA

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lambert was my initial choice though I'll admit to getting a bit wrapped up in the Solksjaer thing.

Now it's looking like Lambert will be our manager I am very happy. Definitely a better choice than Rodgers or Martinez.

Hopefully we can look forward to good football, passion for the shirt and maybe a few home wins next year!

Can't really complain. Wasn't my number 1 choice but equally I'd rather have him than quite a few other managers we were linked to. It's clear that he's a very attacking manager and is very tactically astute so those are some good points. With regards to style of play, I never wanted us to go to extremes and try and emulate Swansea but passing the ball better would be nice. If the passing and moving is better than under the likes of MON and McLeish (shouldn't be a hard task) then I'm happy. Hopefully he moves away from this "buy British" thing we've had going on at the club, but I'm doubtful. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Oh yeah, and he isn't Alex McLeish, so I can finally enjoy supporting Villa again.

Personally I hope ( and believe ) he'll move away from this buy crap thing we've had going on at the club, and buy good. It honestly does not matter where they come from

Personally I hope ( and believe ) he'll move away from this buy crap thing we've had going on at the club, and buy good. It honestly does not matter where they come from
You don't seem to be getting my point Richard. I don't want to see us buy foreign players exclusively. I would however like to see us look abroad for players as well as at home. It can't hurt to broaden your horizons. In recent years this is something we have not done.

Oh yes grant got the chop as well, he was as bad as the one who shall not be mentioned

Yeah we had the misfortune of having him as our Manager for a while - shocking he was

In that case no doubt he'll take Culverhouse & Karsa with him then. they've been together since Wycombe

Cheers for your response.

PS Wheres Wiz??? :lol:

Lambert was my initial choice though I'll admit to getting a bit wrapped up in the Solksjaer thing.

Now it's looking like Lambert will be our manager I am very happy. Definitely a better choice than Rodgers or Martinez.

Hopefully we can look forward to good football, passion for the shirt and maybe a few home wins next year!

That's a summary of my entire thought process throughout all of this

Well chuffed if this is true. Having seen him up in Scotland for many years he usually conducted himself well (especially for someone associated with any member of the old firm) and he seems to have carried that down south. Seems very dignified and it's a shame it's ended like this for him as he seemed to have a great relationship with the fans but clearly the board were holding him back. Funny thing is up here we have comedy impression show where he was always lampoon'd as a thicko who couldn't read etc, he's proved he is very smart tactically and has turned into a very good manager. That show used to have wee shaun maloney call him uncle Paul too for an extra villa connection

You don't seem to be getting my point Richard. I don't want to see us buy foreign players exclusively. I would however like to see us look abroad for players as well as at home. It can't hurt to broaden your horizons. In recent years this is something we have not done.

Or alternatively, he could be agreeing with you ;) if it doesn't matter where they come from, then we can look foreign and domestic. Fingers crossed on PL now!

So glad we gonna get him, can't believe 80% of Villa fans wanted OGS ahead of him.. cant wait to say "I told you so" in a few years :)

as for the mod who locked this thread.. actually i better not say it ;)

I am still refusing to get too carried away. He has been my number one choice but I was unsure we would be able to get him here.

He has done an immense job at Norwich. His squad rotation, tactical awarness and transfer dealings have reminded me of early era fergie.

I actually think he has what it takes to transform this club and drag us back to where we belong. It's a huge task, one I don't underestimate, that's how highly I rate him.

Happy days ahead if this happens.

And this is me trying not to get carried away!!

Interesting read here about Rodgers' and Lambert's approach to football.

>>>http://www.guardian.co.uk/

Highly enjoyable read (as always from Michael Cox). Very refreshing to see coaches making proactive tactical changes to suit the context of the specific game, or even portion of the game. Excited to think we can look forward to these insights ourselves next season.

Incidentally, the final para was impressive in its prescience:

"Hopefully the mutual respect between the two will continue – we could do with less unsavoury bickering between managers of the biggest clubs in the country and when those coaches depart, Rodgers and Lambert should be regarded as contenders to replace them."

Do any of you follow Henry Winter on Twitter? I know a lot don't like him but personally I think that he's one of the best journalists. He tweeted this earlier...

"Paul Lambert is tactically smart & a mix of charming & scary. He can inspire people & instill discipline. He's just what #avfc need"

If he can inspire people and instill discipline then yes he's just what we need!

I would be happy to say welcome Paul but if (and it remains a big if) he has quit Norwich had Mark Hughes doing the same thing at Fulham not been said to be a reason we did not go for what appeared to be the obvious candidate then?

I would not be shocked if we did not give Martinez the opportunity to turn us down again and it seems he only had eyes for Liverpool under his terms but it would be hard to take us appointing as manager someone who could be easily argued to be below the status of the present Wigan and Norwich managers.

Looks like it's happening although I would like to see a few more sources confirm it, excellent news if true. Norwich fans seem pretty outraged from what I've seen, wonder if they were this pissed off when he did the dirty on Colchester... thought not. :winkold:

Mark Hughes quit to put himself at the head of the line not because his boss wasn't letting him hear what we were proposing, he just up and left which showed a lack of loyalty. What Paul Lambert has shown over the last 3 weeks is that he was 100% committed to Norwich because no offer had come in, from the sounds of things today that offer did come in and his boss told him flat out that he could not speak to us so he resigned.. Norwich if this is true have now lost a manager that may have turned us down anyway, just because the man at the top wouldn't let him just hear us out.