Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

Don't get me wrong, Im happy we may get a manager who's only time from outside the UK isn't from a holiday on the Costa del Sol. But Lamberts 1 season in Dortmund in the mid 90:s and a few visits getting his coaching badge doesn't make him a learned scholar of european football and isn't enough to easy my worries about him.

If he starts off by signing Grant Holt i'll be really worried...

I don't understand why some people are worried about him. He started low to learn the ropes and has flourished. Took a battered Norwich side to the title, followed it up with another promotion to the prem, and then led very average players to 12th in the league (level points with Swansea). He's proved his abilities to deliver the goods. A foreign coach with those credentials and everyone would be spunking in their pants if they were appointed Villa boss.

Im worried because it's not possible to build an successfull team by buying players from the UKl unless you have Man City money. We have a horrid scouting history over the last few years and if Lambert hasn't got good knowledge of players outside the UK and isn't a big enough name to attract them we might once again start building an expensive mediocre team consisting of PL journeymen looking for the next payday, and then nothing will have changed from the last days of MON.

I have nothing agains Paul Lambert and he might very well turn out to be a great choice, but i will remain a bit apprehensive untill he ships out the troublemakers and show us what he can do in the transfer market.

Exactly my concern too. Different ball game getting promoted with a UK squad. Not enough UK talent that is not already at a big club to push us into the top 6. He's unproven in the foreign market... If he had graham Carr is be very confident in PL

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he has quit his job there then surely we don't owe anything. If they'd of agreed to let us talk to him earlier on in the week then he wouldn't of quit and then we would owe them something.

If I quit my job then surely my company can't make me stay?

At the end of the day Lambert signed a 1 year rolling contract, if you quit your job there is likely a clause where you should give say 4 weeks notice (whether you uphold that or not is up to you I guess). Lambert's notice I guess would be 1 Year (if accepted), If he doesn't like that he shouldn't have signed a rolling contract.

Luckily for him football contracts now favour the person and rarely work to the clubs advantage.

It's not an ordinary job, he signed an official contract (and likely received a signing on fee for doing so) to say that every day he is in the job he is effectively committing himself to that club for another 365 days. From the clubs point of view he should uphold that.

That said if they have broken a clause in his contract then it's their own fault and we can do as we please. (my ASSUMPTION is that this clause is something to do with him being allowed to talk to certain clubs and it was very well planned out that Villa would force their hand i.e. starting with our CEO leaking to Sky - I could be wrong but we clearly tapped Eck up in a similar way and tried the same thing with Blues).

P.S im not against the Lambert appointment, very much in favour of it I just hate the contracts in football and how all the power is with the player (or manager in this case). Whether it works in our favour (like now) or against us (like every summer when somebody forces a move) I **** hate it.

Thank you for saving me the time and effort of typing that explanation up on an iPhone.

You make an interesting suggestion that it's not "an ordinary job, he signed an official contract".

Actually, you'll find that IS quite ordinary. Most people have jobs that have a notice period in their employment contract which means that every day they too are on a rolling break. Now the difference with PL is that his notice period is 1 year, rather than us mere mortals who are probably on anything between 7 and 90 days.

The other issue is compensation. Realistically, AV are under absolutely sod all obligation to pay anything at all, the contract is between PL and NCFC and if there is a dispute of any kind it would a breach by one or other of them and it would be up to one of those parties to compensate the other.

The ONLY reason Villa would pay is that at the end of the day is to pay on behalf of PL because he would have to stump up to settle the dispute and walk away, but is PL going to write a personal cheque for a million quid? I don't think so.

As for power on contracts, that goes both ways, Contracts are there to protect a commercial relationship and either side could break them. If Norwich wanted to sack PL, the contract protects him. If PL decides he wants to bugger off, the contract protects NCFC.

It is fair to say that contracts in football are for the most part pointless and irrelevant, because the party wanting to break it could simply start to perform so badly towards the other that they start to cause the other party harm. Players can "lose form", managers can pick the worst starting line up possible, equally clubs can banish players to the reserves and damage their career by letting them rot. You can see quite clearly that the contractual power under these scenarios is probably far more weighted to the players and managers than the club!

So - to conclude. If PL has declared that NCFC have broken one of the terms of his contract, he can request that court declare that contract null and void in which case PL can walk away from the contract without penalty. The issue is that getting to court would take forever and a day, so the easiest answer is cash.

If he should sign a contract with Villa prior to things being settled with NCFC then I bet he'd probably instantly be in breach of it, as one of the clauses in employment contracts is that you have to confirm you are freely available to perform that contract, and being under a contract elsewhere, whether disputed or not, means you are not in a position to confirm.

I suspect this is why there has been no announcement as of yet - PL is simply not in a position to sign a contract because his lawyers know that the wording means he can't. And we know Villa, they won't announce anything until the ink's dry.

The best post I have read on VT for some time. Clarity and informative... something which has been missing from the PL sage in recent days.

Very interesting from Twitter account Incognito last night,

He puts loads of tweets up regarding the situation with Lambert then he deleted his account!

Could he of been a real ITK

This is what he put….b4 deleted…

Interesting tweets posted and deleted by @INCOGNITOAVFC #avfc pic.twitter.com/SoUktb4I

— Nick D (@nickdes)

June 2, 2012

I really hope some movement’s today guys... it's classed as normal day today isn't it...surely negotiations will be on-going and maybe an announcement could be made today.

Cant see it. What does it say?

I can see it okay. Basically says that Lambert had a clause in his contract to speak to a Premier League club. Norwich went against the clause, he resigned, things got heated then calmed down. Legal proceedings were threatened, Randy willing to pay a small sum to speed things up... things currently at a standstill.

When I click on your link it just says deleted tweets etc....but then doesn't show any. What's the crux of what they say?

He has form on walking out on clubs no

It's obvious he didn't walk out CI - Norwich had granted permission then withdrew it - prompting him to threaten to walk.

Legal wranglings over whether compensation is payable or not have ensued and that's what's delaying the announcement.

He has form on walking out on clubs no

I don't mind if he walks out in three or four years time. It means that he has done well.

I much prefer that to him being sacked after 1 yr - cus that means he was shit and we had another crap season.

Very interesting from Twitter account Incognito last night,

He puts loads of tweets up regarding the situation with Lambert then he deleted his account!

Could he of been a real ITK

This is what he put….b4 deleted…

Interesting tweets posted and deleted by @INCOGNITOAVFC #avfc pic.twitter.com/SoUktb4I

— Nick D (@nickdes)

June 2, 2012

I really hope some movement’s today guys... it's classed as normal day today isn't it...surely negotiations will be on-going and maybe an announcement could be made today.

Cant see it. What does it say?

I can see it okay. Basically says that Lambert had a clause in his contract to speak to a Premier League club. Norwich went against the clause, he resigned, things got heated then calmed down. Legal proceedings were threatened, Randy willing to pay a small sum to speed things up... things currently at a standstill.

When I click on your link it just says deleted tweets etc....but then doesn't show any. What's the crux of what they say?

I'm guessing the compo will be around 1-2m

And you're quibbling over paying it? Wow, what a big club you are.

And when you do eventally have him and a top 6 club suddenly needs a manager, enjoy looking over your shoulder.

And when you do eventally have him and a top 6 club suddenly needs a manager, enjoy looking over your shoulder.

When were 4th we'll enjoy looking over our shoulder buuuuuuuurdy

Its gonna be like Sunderland fans on the sky sports website under every Darren Bent news, every Lambert thing is gonna be followed by...

"Blah Blah Blah"

Cleatus

Norwich Fan

"Blah Blah Blah"

Jim Bob

Norwich Fan

^^ :crylaugh::crylaugh::crylaugh: ^^

Norwich is the only place I have been to where I have seen a ploughing match advertised :lol:

You are hilarious, I hope you and your lot have fun this season! I hear Alex McLeish is a free agent would suit Norwich down to the ground I think! ;-)

:lol: keep sucking on those lemons old bean!