Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

Lambert will quite often change tactics and team depending on who your next opponent is, now that may sound obvious but there will be players going from the starting line up to the bench in consecutive matches and they and you'll wonder why, just trust him that he's right, coz he almost always is! Holt only started 24 matches last season from memory and yet scored 17 goals, the point being, Lambert knows what to do, and when to do it, very much a manager in the Martin O Neil mould and he still calls him the gaffer when he talks about him, so you know what I'm saying!
Funny how you talk about Lambert being very tactically astute (by the way I believe you) then go on to say he's in the Martin O'Neill mould. The fact that he's tactically astute is one of the things that separates him from MON. :lol:
Some day you must just give up your blind prejudice about MON, young man

Do the following figures help you?

6-6-6-9-15

What blind prejudice? I think you'll find I'm not the only person on here that knows MON is not very good tactically. In fact that's something most agree on. Just because we finished well for a few seasons (we also finished 11th in his first season) under him doesn't mean he was tactically sound.

Nothing will be confirmed tonight.

Really, wow, top class ITK info thanks

I wasn't trying to claim to be ITK. :?

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MON did a great job here. He is in the past, why don`t we just stop talking about him.

You can draw all the comparisons you like, paul lambert is not MON , he is a paul lambert. So arguing the case like we are some how signing MON again is pointless.

Paul actually takes way more influence from the coach he had in germany, he did his coaching badges and everything over there.

Lambert will quite often change tactics and team depending on who your next opponent is, now that may sound obvious but there will be players going from the starting line up to the bench in consecutive matches and they and you'll wonder why, just trust him that he's right, coz he almost always is! Holt only started 24 matches last season from memory and yet scored 17 goals, the point being, Lambert knows what to do, and when to do it, very much a manager in the Martin O Neil mould and he still calls him the gaffer when he talks about him, so you know what I'm saying!
Funny how you talk about Lambert being very tactically astute (by the way I believe you) then go on to say he's in the Martin O'Neill mould. The fact that he's tactically astute is one of the things that separates him from MON. :lol:
Some day you must just give up your blind prejudice about MON, young man

Do the following figures help you?

6-6-6-9-15

What blind prejudice? I think you'll find I'm not the only person on here that knows MON is not very good tactically. In fact that's something most agree on. Just because we finished well for a few seasons (we also finished 11th in his first season) under him doesn't mean he was tactically sound.

Nothing will be confirmed tonight.

Really, wow, top class ITK info thanks

I wasn't trying to claim to be ITK. :?

MON - play on the break. Goal down, off comes the left back & Collins at centre forward.

Agree with you Mantis. I think comparisons in tactics cannot be made :lol:

What I like about Lambert is that his sphere of influence will be greater than just coaching the first team.

I'd be surprised if Lambert didn't bring Ian Culverhouse and Gary Karsa with him, I'm not sure what Karsa's role was at Carrow Rd, but Culverhouse carried out the coaching of the players and during matches if he suggested a susbtitution to Lambert then he'd go with it, he has a big influence. Lambert just gets on with managing!

What I like about Lambert is that his sphere of influence will be greater than just coaching the first team.

I'd be surprised if Lambert didn't bring Ian Culverhouse and Gary Karsa with him, I'm not sure what Karsa's role was at Carrow Rd, but Culverhouse carried out the coaching of the players and during matches if he suggested a susbtitution to Lambert then he'd go with it, he has a big influence. Lambert just gets on with managing!

I am sure there roles were posted by a norwich fan earlier in the thread.

to Summarise what i remember:

Lambert identifies players, and is the main motivator

Culverhouse handles a lot of the training, and tactics and by some accounts has a lot of say in the team selection.

Karsa is the person who hangs it all together, he is the total opposite of lambert, gets everyone on side, both players and fans and is a really funny guy someone everyone wants to be around.

So they are a team, without one the whole package suffers

I'm sure someone will be along to correct anything that isn't right!

I'm ITK about that.

:lol:

I would rather have had Rodgers if I'm honest, but this is the way it's turned out.

My mate who watches a lot of lower league football said to me we should have got Lambert before Norwich came up, and assures me he's a better manager than Rodge, we shall see!

I question his transfer policy and his ability to make our players do anything clever. He did switch it up tactically at Norwich which is a good thing, but if he starts trying it in training first day of pre-season, he's going to struggle with our bunch of tards. Only Ireland and Petrov have ever shown an understanding of movement. Work to be done, though to be fair, there would be in this department if we'd got Rodgers as well.

If he has quit his job there then surely we don't owe anything. If they'd of agreed to let us talk to him earlier on in the week then he wouldn't of quit and then we would owe them something.

If I quit my job then surely my company can't make me stay?

At the end of the day Lambert signed a 1 year rolling contract, if you quit your job there is likely a clause where you should give say 4 weeks notice (whether you uphold that or not is up to you I guess). Lambert's notice I guess would be 1 Year (if accepted), If he doesn't like that he shouldn't have signed a rolling contract.

Luckily for him football contracts now favour the person and rarely work to the clubs advantage.

It's not an ordinary job, he signed an official contract (and likely received a signing on fee for doing so) to say that every day he is in the job he is effectively committing himself to that club for another 365 days. From the clubs point of view he should uphold that.

That said if they have broken a clause in his contract then it's their own fault and we can do as we please. (my ASSUMPTION is that this clause is something to do with him being allowed to talk to certain clubs and it was very well planned out that Villa would force their hand i.e. starting with our CEO leaking to Sky - I could be wrong but we clearly tapped Eck up in a similar way and tried the same thing with Blues).

P.S im not against the Lambert appointment, very much in favour of it I just hate the contracts in football and how all the power is with the player (or manager in this case). Whether it works in our favour (like now) or against us (like every summer when somebody forces a move) I **** hate it.

Thank you for saving me the time and effort of typing that explanation up on an iPhone.

You make an interesting suggestion that it's not "an ordinary job, he signed an official contract".

Actually, you'll find that IS quite ordinary. Most people have jobs that have a notice period in their employment contract which means that every day they too are on a rolling break. Now the difference with PL is that his notice period is 1 year, rather than us mere mortals who are probably on anything between 7 and 90 days.

The other issue is compensation. Realistically, AV are under absolutely sod all obligation to pay anything at all, the contract is between PL and NCFC and if there is a dispute of any kind it would a breach by one or other of them and it would be up to one of those parties to compensate the other.

The ONLY reason Villa would pay is that at the end of the day is to pay on behalf of PL because he would have to stump up to settle the dispute and walk away, but is PL going to write a personal cheque for a million quid? I don't think so.

As for power on contracts, that goes both ways, Contracts are there to protect a commercial relationship and either side could break them. If Norwich wanted to sack PL, the contract protects him. If PL decides he wants to bugger off, the contract protects NCFC.

It is fair to say that contracts in football are for the most part pointless and irrelevant, because the party wanting to break it could simply start to perform so badly towards the other that they start to cause the other party harm. Players can "lose form", managers can pick the worst starting line up possible, equally clubs can banish players to the reserves and damage their career by letting them rot. You can see quite clearly that the contractual power under these scenarios is probably far more weighted to the players and managers than the club!

So - to conclude. If PL has declared that NCFC have broken one of the terms of his contract, he can request that court declare that contract null and void in which case PL can walk away from the contract without penalty. The issue is that getting to court would take forever and a day, so the easiest answer is cash.

If he should sign a contract with Villa prior to things being settled with NCFC then I bet he'd probably instantly be in breach of it, as one of the clauses in employment contracts is that you have to confirm you are freely available to perform that contract, and being under a contract elsewhere, whether disputed or not, means you are not in a position to confirm.

I suspect this is why there has been no announcement as of yet - PL is simply not in a position to sign a contract because his lawyers know that the wording means he can't. And we know Villa, they won't announce anything until the ink's dry.

Very interesting from Twitter account Incognito last night,

He puts loads of tweets up regarding the situation with Lambert then he deleted his account!

Could he of been a real ITK

This is what he put….b4 deleted…

Interesting tweets posted and deleted by @INCOGNITOAVFC #avfc pic.twitter.com/SoUktb4I

— Nick D (@nickdes)

June 2, 2012

I really hope some movement’s today guys... it's classed as normal day today isn't it...surely negotiations will be on-going and maybe an announcement could be made today.

MON did a great job here. He is in the past, why don`t we just stop talking about him.

Funny you think MON was good, a lot of people I know thought he was one dimensional.

MON could pick a decent 11 but couldn't manage a squad, hence why we were in the top 4 until Feb/March each season until the players all became knackered and the wheels fell off. The same us now evident at Sunderland, and the Mackem fans are starting to see it.

I am happy with Lambert though. He looks like a manager that could be here for more than 12 months...

Funny you think MON was good, a lot of people I know thought he was one dimensional.

MON could pick a decent 11 but couldn't manage a squad, hence why we were in the top 4 until Feb/March each season until the players all became knackered and the wheels fell off. The same us now evident at Sunderland, and the Mackem fans are starting to see it.

I am happy with Lambert though. He looks like a manager that could be here for more than 12 months...

Everything you say i agree with, doesn`t change the fact he did well here and is a very good football manager.

I think lambert has all of o`neills good qualities plus tactical knowledge, i also think he is slightly more cultured given the time he spent in germany.

Very pleased with this appointment.

I think the legal teams are going through this, the point is AVFC approached Norwich for permission, they refused but PL has a clause in his contract to say he can talk to another club, this is why he resigned. Then he started speaking to AVFC, as he's on a rolling contract they can't do a lot in my opinion.

So you've seen his contract have you or are you believing the Sun ? I think you'll find that he didn't have a clause saying he could talk to other clubs, hence why hes now on gardening leave until you guys come up with compensation that is acceptable to us.

I am sure there roles were posted by a norwich fan earlier in the thread.

to Summarise what i remember:

Lambert identifies players, and is the main motivator

Culverhouse handles a lot of the training, and tactics and by some accounts has a lot of say in the team selection.

Karsa is the person who hangs it all together, he is the total opposite of lambert, gets everyone on side, both players and fans and is a really funny guy someone everyone wants to be around.

So they are a team, without one the whole package suffers

I'm sure someone will be along to correct anything that isn't right!

Thats about right, Culverhouse took the training and was responsible for brining 2/3 key players in recently, he was the link between Lambert and the players.

Culverhouse used to play for us and so have links in Norfolk, rumours are that he may be offered the job here so you might have to do without him.