Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

Lambert's record isn't exactly gold you know. He's managed 4 clubs, and only Norwich have hit the big time, and they've not done the crucial second season yet.

Yet he is being touted as far less of a risk than OGS. I'm not so sure that Lambert could take a side to the European places.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So far as i'm concerned he has hardly jumped at the chance to manage this club now has he? So for me i don't want him here anyhow.. let him fester at the mighty Norwich City as i don't see any bigger clubs than little old Villa coming calling anytime soon. Fact is we want somebody long term who can get this club back where it should surely be & that is Europe at the very least so if he thinks we are too small for him then frankly he doesn't understand the job or have confidence in himself that he could achieve it & he is therefore unsuitable.

Ditto Martinez too quite frankly they are the managerial equivalent of "glory hunters".

So far as i'm concerned he has hardly jumped at the chance to manage this club now has he? So for me i don't want him here anyhow.. let him fester at the mighty Norwich City as i don't see any bigger clubs than little old Villa coming calling anytime soon. Fact is we want somebody long term who can get this club back where it should surely be & that is Europe at the very least so if he thinks we are too small for him then frankly he doesn't understand the job or have confidence in himself that he could achieve it & he is therefore unsuitable.

Ditto Martinez too quite frankly they are the managerial equivalent of "glory hunters".

I doubt he thinks we are to small. Just that the club is in one hell of a mess - there's not much cash to put things right.

Dean Scoggins has tweeted....

‏@SunDeanScoggins

I get the impression any contact with Solksjaer are just a way of speeding up things with Lambert. #avfc

£20K would be an expensive call my bluff....but I suppose it's good to have a plan B

No one seem to have mentioned also if Martinez goes to Liverpool there's a vacancy at Wigan

One of the Norwich fans tweeted earlier that Lambert had caught the Norwich to Manchester flight.

If he was in for LFC job then he'd surely fly to John Lennon airport?

Martinez to Plop... OSG to Villa... Lambert to Wigan?

Nah I can't see that but you never know.

No one seem to have mentioned also if Martinez goes to Liverpool there's a vacancy at Wigan

One of the Norwich fans tweeted earlier that Lambert had caught the Norwich to Manchester flight.

If he was in for LFC job then he'd surely fly to John Lennon airport?

Martinez to Plop... OSG to Villa... Lambert to Wigan?

Nah I can't see that but you never know.

Don't think you can fly from Norwich to Liverpool. You certainly can to Manchester, and Wigan is only 30 mins drive away from the airport.

Just checking twitter & rumours appear to be that Lambert was/is indeed first choice and wants to come to VP.

The hold up is Norwich end playing hard ball over compensation & not wanting him to go.

Similar situation with Everton and Moyes last 2 summers from what I have been told.

Also apparently Lerner's jet was used to pick up other candidates to be interviewed last Summer, who didn't get the job,

So it's not saying OSG will defo be coming to VP.

One being Alan Curbishley perhaps....... because he admitted he'd been interviewed for VP job at HK Seven's tournament.

Just checking twitter & rumours appear to be that Lambert was/is indeed first choice and wants to come to VP.

The hold up is Norwich end playing hard ball over compensation & not wanting him to go.

Similar situation with Everton and Moyes last 2 summers from what I have been told.

Also apparently Lerner's jet was used to pick up other candidates to be interviewed last Summer, who didn't get the job,

So it's not saying OSG will defo be coming to VP.

One being Alan Curbishley perhaps....... because he admitted he'd been interviewed for VP job at HK Seven's tournament.

I really want Lambo - but now OGS is out in the open - I think we have to conclude quickly - the press will spin - that OGS has turned us down - and would lambert want to be second choice ?

BTW - considering the compo paid out the last couple of summers ..£25k on a jet - wouldn't mean concrete anything IMO.

I doubt he thinks we are to small. Just that the club is in one hell of a mess - there's not much cash to put things right.

I take your point smetrov i guess i am just getting a bit narked by all these poisonous little characters crawling out of the woodwork to stick the boot in to this club.. Yet with Liverpool they can't wait for them to take their best players or manager off their hands..It's laughable i mean really!

i loathe liverpool - but really hope they get martinez - cos i think hes shit !

I take your point smetrov i guess i am just getting a bit narked by all these poisonous little characters crawling out of the woodwork to stick the boot in to this club.. Yet with Liverpool they can't wait for them to take their best players or manager off their hands..It's laughable i mean really!

Fwiw I hope we get Lambert rather than OGS.

OGS seems a really likeable, sensible bloke who could be a really great manager. But I can't get my head around the Man Utd connection. Apart from the obvious fact that he'd be off to them in a second if they wanted him, it gives the already nauseating Man Utd fans (and indeed everyone else) even more reason to be patronising towards Aston Villa. I like the John Gregory approach: "If he's not good enough for Man Utd, he's not good enough for Aston Villa" [boozy Irish defenders who are actual Gods are excluded from this rule, obviously]. Yes, that may be shooting ourselves in the foot in one way, but we ought to be able to do things for ourselves, rather than pick up other clubs' scraps.

Lambert would probably shoot off to Man Utd just as fast as OGS, but at least he is untainted by being associated with any of the clubs that we ought to be competing with. And apart from that, he is less of a risk. I hope the latest rumours are true. There is just no way he would move from Norwich to that awful little club, Wigan .

I don't get how you can say picking up other clubs scraps? Most managers started as players, they had to have started somewhere. You could also argue that it's better he has a strong allegiance with Man Utd than a club who might genuinely come calling for him. To be in the frame for the Man Utd he'd needed to have really excelled with us for some time.. and to excel with us isn't the same way Martinez has 'excelled' with Wigan, he'd needed to have got us 5th, 6th consistently for a few years.. and show me one Aston Villa fan who won't take that right now?

Lambert could have jumped at the chance to manage us, he didnt, same as Martinez. Screw em.
How do you know Lambert hasn't jumped? All I've heard him say is a version of "come and get me". True, he may have been saying this to Liverpool, but we don't know.

And Qwxpjor (etc.) you're right, however I personally am simply put off OGS by the thought that Man Utd fans would remind us that he was on his way to them whenever we were looking good. Not everyone would be bothered by this maybe, but I definitely would. I can't stand Man Utd fans as it is. That said I can definitely see the appeal of getting him.

Its all very quiet at Carrow rd.......I just wonder if OGS is the done deal ?

Could it be that Randy has jetted him in - as part of the compensation package - ie we get Lambert \ Martinez \ Poyet - and OGS is the manager at one of those clubs.....

Its a very, very long shot - although the balance of specualttion is that OGS is coming for talks and not a grand unveiling.