OnePablo

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Villa boss O'Neill: We'll try for Newcastle's Milner

tribalfooball.com - November 27, 2006

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill admits he will try again for Newcastle winger James Milner in January.

"We will be striving in January to try to improve the team," O'Neill said. "We do need to strengthen if you are going to compete. The chairman (Randy Lerner) wants to do that.

'I don't think he wants Villa to be under-achievers and wants to have a go.

'I'm not so sure at the moment if we are in the market for the very best players in the world. That's a different issue.

"But are we going to try to improve the team? Absolutely. And yes, James Milner has been a target of mine in the past and I would like to see him at Villa Park."

Hardly suprising is it - id take him now....

Never seen a clearer case of tapping up in my life. If O'Neill said that and Newcastle haven't complained... it must be pretty much a done deal.

Villa boss O'Neill: We'll try for Newcastle's Milner

tribalfooball.com - November 27, 2006

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill admits he will try again for Newcastle winger James Milner in January.

"We will be striving in January to try to improve the team," O'Neill said. "We do need to strengthen if you are going to compete. The chairman (Randy Lerner) wants to do that.

'I don't think he wants Villa to be under-achievers and wants to have a go.

'I'm not so sure at the moment if we are in the market for the very best players in the world. That's a different issue.

"But are we going to try to improve the team? Absolutely. And yes, James Milner has been a target of mine in the past and I would like to see him at Villa Park."

Hardly suprising is it - id take him now....

Never seen a clearer case of tapping up in my life. If O'Neill said that and Newcastle haven't complained... it must be pretty much a done deal.

Why is that tapping up?

Firstly its mostly old quotes, secondly its tribal fFootball" and thirdly all he is saying is that given the chance he'd sign him (something which is a matter of public record that he's tried to do in the past)

When DOL got brought before the FA for tapping up it was because he said "Here is a player I KNOW wants to join Aston Villa", it was the I know he wants to join aspect that was iimportant as it clearly meant he'd already spoken to the player about it. Nothing that MON is supposed to have said constitutes that.

What was he supposed to say, "Yes I tried to sign Milner before but I think he's not good enough for us anymore" ?

Gizmo, that's not what tapping up is. Tapping up would be if MON was to say "I know James Milner would like to be at Villa Park" - and even then that's a bad example because we know that from the previous transfer window. Basically in Milner's case it's impossible for us to tap him up becauase we've already talked to him and he was already signing for us.

Gizmo, that's not what tapping up is. Tapping up would be if MON was to say "I know James Milner would like to be at Villa Park" - and even then that's a bad example because we know that from the previous transfer window. Basically in Milner's case it's impossible for us to tap him up becauase we've already talked to him and he was already signing for us.

I do think that general courtesy between managers dictates they will rarely name a player in this manner. That for me either suggests we are buying him or MON is really really pissed at Newcastle. I think the former personally.

Yeah Grant I agree, but I also think that there is no general courtesy required between MON and Newcastle after what they did to us. Personally I think MON has a bee in his bonnet over the Milner transfer - that much was made clear in the immediate interviews afterwards, and I don't think MON minds winding them a bit. He does have a razor sharp tongue and nothing he says is by accident ...

We could certainly do with him, he was my player of the year last season. Not sure who'd get dropped to accommodate him though, Gabby, Angel or Bouma I recon. It would be Bouma for me, play Milner on the left and Barry at LB, maybe. Keep Gabby on the right. It would be an option worth trying. That's what Milner would bring, some more options.

Surely SWP is an possible option. SSN are reporting today that he could be one his way back to Man City or go to West Ham. Surely we have a realistic chance of signing him if he is interested in moving elsewhere.

Well alright... maybe not tapping up as such.

But it's almost unheard of for Club X to publicly say they want to buy Club Y's player without Club Y getting irate about it.

Unless, Club Y have accepted that it's gonna happen and therefore don't mind.

If Mourinho said on Sky Sports News tomorrow, I think Agbonlahor's great, has loads of potential and I really want him to play for Chelsea, we wouldn't be too pleased would we? It's unsettling for a player and seriously frowned upon.

i tell you what we haven't seen on here for a while - a message like this:

My mates sista works at the villa 'n' she sez that ronaldo is definetly on his way to villa. She works on the chip stand and saw him cum in to the ground. HONEST.!

Surely SWP is an possible option. SSN are reporting today that he could be one his way back to Man City or go to West Ham. Surely we have a realistic chance of signing him if he is interested in moving elsewhere.

He is probably going to cost £10 million, Is he really twice the player Milner is.

Give me Milner any day of the week. MON will make him a better player.

Well alright... maybe not tapping up as such.

But it's almost unheard of for Club X to publicly say they want to buy Club Y's player without Club Y getting irate about it.

Unless, Club Y have accepted that it's gonna happen and therefore don't mind.

If Mourinho said on Sky Sports News tomorrow, I think Agbonlahor's great, has loads of potential and I really want him to play for Chelsea, we wouldn't be too pleased would we? It's unsettling for a player and seriously frowned upon.

Subtle difference there is that Chelsea haven't actually previously enquired about Gabby, had a bid accepted, the player been on his way only for the Villa topull the plug in the final minutes of the deal.

Its totally different imo We have a history with James Milner both as he played for us last season and the fated almost transfer in the Autumn.

Those facts make it fair game to comment imo especially as if the quotes true then MON was probably asked directly about Milner and with the history between Milner and ourselves what is he actually supposed to say?