Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

GB's January Hopes

Gareth Barry knows Villa need reinforcements next month if they are to maintain the push for European football.

The Villa skipper accepts Martin O'Neill's men have over-achieved so far this season - Villa remain fifth despite Wednesday's 3-1 defeat against Manchester City.

And he knows that fresh blood will be required once the transfer-window reopens on January 1.

He commented: "The manager knows that and the players know we need a few new faces to come in and strengthen us up for the second half of the season.

"If that's going to happen in January, we need to get as many points on the board as we can before then because it's important we do not throw away all that we've achieved so far.

"We've probably had a few too many draws but have still made a good start. If you look at the overall picture and not just our performance against City, we have got to be pleased. But everyone knew we were exceeding expectations with the size of the squad we have got.

"We bounced back from our first defeat at Liverpool and have been hard to beat away from home since then. So we'll be going to Portsmouth this weekend with our spirits still high.

"The squad has been over-achieving this season. That is definitely the case. Our main aim was to improve and get into the top half.

"We have still made a good start. If you look at the overall picture, and not just the Manchester City game, we have got to be pleased.

"But we look at our last game which was against Man City and we've got to look at what's gone wrong, try and sort it out and go from there.

"The January transfer window is not too far away but we can't be thinking about new players. We've got to be thinking of the next game and that's Portsmouth and it is winnable."

Clicky

I think Bellend would do well in this Villa team.

Not the most likeable little troll but M'ON will know what effect he would have on the dressing room either way.

He's not producing at Liverpool but was doing well at Blackburn before the summer and a lot of Villa fans were preferring him to Baros and Beattie when O'Deary was looking for a main man.

bellemy is a good player who will score goals. cant see MON signing him and smith though. too similar.

Too similar? :shock:

One is a pacy striker, one aint?

Whats similar about that?

One is a f**king tw@t and the other is a, well, f**king tw@t. I'd like the 2nd f**king tw@t, though.

A little bird tells me we're looking at Ashley Young. Havent made a bid or anything but perhaps an enquiry. Perhaps.

That would be wonderful, if true.

Not just another of your fantasy 'Appiah/SWP' teams though Maz? :winkold:

A little bird tells me we're looking at Ashley Young. Havent made a bid or anything but perhaps an enquiry. Perhaps.

That would be wonderful, if true.

Not just another of your fantasy 'Appiah/SWP' teams though Maz? :winkold:

His avatar doesn't fill me with confidence ;)

Bellamy scored a brace and assisted with the third in Liverpool's 4 goal win over Wigan. I can't see Benitez letting him go unless he can make a 2 or 3M profit which means 8 or 9M or more for CB. Do we really think that MON will pay that for Bellamy?

Bearing in mind MON's discipline requirements, I am not sure that Craig and Martin will suit each other without a few compromises. Meanwhile back to the Defoe / Bent betting ;)

If there is any truth in this then it's probably MON covering his arse in case he can't get a proper RB in January and needs cover for Hughes. I expect he'll want to replace Hughes but if players aren't available then Griffin could be short-term cover so we don't have to keep shipping Mellberg out to the right.

Having said all of that, I REALLY don't expect to see him in claret and blue.