Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

yeah well its hard to get in the Barca squad. Riquelme failed as well. The guy plays for portugal. I cant see why he wouldnt succeed in the Premier League. He looks very similar to Ronaldo but with more tricks.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Villa boss O'Neill: We'll try for Newcastle's Milner

tribalfooball.com - November 27, 2006

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill admits he will try again for Newcastle winger James Milner in January.

"We will be striving in January to try to improve the team," O'Neill said. "We do need to strengthen if you are going to compete. The chairman (Randy Lerner) wants to do that.

'I don't think he wants Villa to be under-achievers and wants to have a go.

'I'm not so sure at the moment if we are in the market for the very best players in the world. That's a different issue.

"But are we going to try to improve the team? Absolutely. And yes, James Milner has been a target of mine in the past and I would like to see him at Villa Park."

Hardly suprising is it - id take him now....

Not a fan of those video's. You can make anyone look awsome on them.
I agree. And Quaresma hardly set Barça alight when he was there. On the contrary he was considered a king-sized flop.

Quaresma went to Barca too early in his career. He burned out. He has since gone back to Portugal and matured into what Barca hoped he would do there. And now ironically he's going back to Spain albeit to a team with more modest ambition than Barca.

Because loads on here might be wrong and Fergie might know what he's on about.

On the other hand Fergie isn't always right, in fact his success ratio in the transfer market is not that much better than DOL's.

Carrick 15 million?

:shock:

There is always a rumour going around that the flavour of the month is being linked with Man U for 12M. It's just the press getting a wind up over Bent and Defoe.

I doubt that Man U if interested at all in either one would buy both of them. With Rooney already carved in stone, what striker is going to want to be a bench warmer when you are already in Spurzzz rotation or guaranteed a first team place at Aston Villa.

I am really going to enjoy January when it gets here. In the meantime all the top players are going to be linked with Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool . Soon there will be a day that Villa is included in that list when the Big 4 becomes the Big 5.

I happen to think ManUre are in for a striker in the coming window if they can get one. Rooney is not a poacher and Saha is not consistent enough. They need someone like Defoe or Bent to play alongside Rooney so I'm not surprised by the articles and I wouldn't be shocked if they bought one.

Of course this place would initially slag Alex for spending so much money, then when his signing started scoring we'd be secretly p1ssed off. It's the way of the interweb :)

Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon admits the club would listen to offers for Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Kenyon confirmed The Blues have received an initial enquiry from West Ham for the winger although no official bid has been lodged by the Upton Park outfit.

Wright-Phillips has failed to hold down a regular place in the Blues first team since joining from Manchester City in the summer of 2005.

The England international has started just 15 matches for the Stamford Bridge club in that time, and Kenyon admits it is a frustrating scenario for the player.

"There's been an official discussion but no offers tabled. Clearly Shaun wants to play football," Kenyon told Sky Sports News.

"We've got no plans to sell any of our players because we've got our squad for the season but if an offer came in we would have to look at it.

"But that's not to say that we'd do it - we're still at the very early stages and right now see Shaun as a member of our 24-man squad which is what we need to see the league and other competitions through."

he is excellent in Pro Evo Soccer 6.........

I happen to think ManUre are in for a striker in the coming window if they can get one. Rooney is not a poacher and Saha is not consistent enough. They need someone like Defoe or Bent to play alongside Rooney so I'm not surprised by the articles and I wouldn't be shocked if they bought one.

Of course this place would initially slag Alex for spending so much money, then when his signing started scoring we'd be secretly p1ssed off. It's the way of the interweb :)

Cant agree with the Saha thing. I think he has been outstanding this season. Even his penalty 'miss' the other week was a fantastic save by Boruc.

The only reason he was hit and miss in his first 18 months was injury. He seems past that now though.

He is the 'finisher' in the top scoring team who are top of the league and he has scored 6 in 14. Rooney, who has missed 3 games, has scored more than him. Saha may be doing better than he has previously, but I don't think it's enough and I would bet a decent amount of money that Saha will not be Rooney's first choice partner this time next year. He is not good enough for United's level.

Is he the finisher though?

The argument for Fergie letting van Nistelrooy go was that Saha, although not as prolific, was more of a team player.

That has very much been in evidence in Man U's upsurgence in form.

By nature a 'finisher' is typically greedy and not a team player, a route Ferguson seems to be moving away from. Theres a reason Rooney has also got a fair few goals and that is Saha.

The only expception in the World is Henry, who maintains a phenomenal strike rate whilst also leading most assist charts. I think Saha is playing in the same style but will always be a shade behind as a goal-scorer.

So i kind of agree with you Brian that he isnt as prolific as there is available but he seems to be prolific enough in terms of goals and assists to warrant his place. That seems to be the style Fergie is favouring. Plus they have Solksjaer if they need a 'finisher'.

It's also possible that, as you say, Fergie let RvN go because he thought Saha could do the job, and now by going for someone like Defoe or Bent, Fergie has revised his opinion and realises that with Giggs and Rooney he has all the assists he needs, and now he needs to go back to someone who will put them away consistently. I do think Saha's primary job at ManUre is as the finisher though, as he did replace RvN. He is more of a team player, but that can't get in the way of his scoring. I think he should have 10 at this stage.