Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

Villa are ready to lay down a transfer marker for their January spending plans by entering the race for Chelsea winger Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Manager Martin O’Neill is said to have put the England international at the top of his transfer wishlist. It is a signal from the boss of his ambition to transform Villa into a club fighting for honours.

Wright-Phillips, pictured, would cost £10m, less than half the £21m Chelsea paid Manchester City for the 25-year-old.

Villa face competition from West Ham, Everton and the player’s former club Manchester City, who have already entered negotiations with Chelsea.

from the express and star

come on MON sign him up :nod:

http://www.expressandstar.co.uk/2006/12/29/villa-chasing-chelsea-star/

I hope its just that list of players after him, because i would be quietly confident. I cant see him going to West Ham, they are in a relegation battle.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And being an ex-Forest man he has no connections as such with London. City can't afford him unless Richards is involved, West Ham are in trouble and I struggle to see Everton competing financially after spending £8m on the diver. Stubbs was recently interviewed on Football Focus stating Everton can only really do that once every two seasons. Would love this to be true and happen.

Villa are ready to lay down a transfer marker for their January spending plans by entering the race for Chelsea winger Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Manager Martin O’Neill is said to have put the England international at the top of his transfer wishlist. It is a signal from the boss of his ambition to transform Villa into a club fighting for honours.

Wright-Phillips, pictured, would cost £10m, less than half the £21m Chelsea paid Manchester City for the 25-year-old.

Villa face competition from West Ham, Everton and the player’s former club Manchester City, who have already entered negotiations with Chelsea.

from the express and star

come on MON sign him up :nod:

http://www.expressandstar.co.uk/2006/12/29/villa-chasing-chelsea-star/

I hope its just that list of players after him, because i would be quietly confident. I cant see him going to West Ham, they are in a relegation battle.

The only thing id isnt his father a West Ham fan????? And then theres the old club syndrome.... Id love it if he came though...

i think martin will have to change the way he buys because of how football has changed

IMO i can't see him buying people who he would have bought in the past at like leicester, because if you want to be successful you need quality in rather than just players who lack the quality but will give you there all. Plus he will be looking for a higher standard than he has done before due to having the fincancial clout.

he likes his pace, and who better to come in and do what gabbys's been doing but to a higher level?

if martin can get the best out of SWP we will have a hell of player no doubt

I like SWP but I somehow doubt we will be paying 10m for him (or anybody else) at this stage.

You've also got to think of the wages he will be on at Chelsea.

A superstar fee and superstar wages for a player who's not really a superstar.... I can't see it.

Jez, stop being so negative. Every link is shot down by you at the moment. Just calm down and enjoy it. SWP would improve a current team dramatically, forget what's happened at Chelsea and remember the play that walked through a defence to score in front of the Holte.

Saying he's not a MON player is silly because MON has never had resources to get such a player at his previous clubs. He's always played with wingers but had t make do with Guppy and the like. I for one would be delighted if this came off.

I think SWP is starting to realise its not all about the money, money is a big motivator no doubt, but the difference in the wages he'd be earning might be made up by playing each week, getting the chance of international football and building up your reputation again.

I think SWP is starting to realise its not all about the money, money is a big motivator no doubt, but the difference in the wages he'd be earning might be made up by playing each week, getting the chance of international football and building up your reputation again.

Yes. And if it is only about the money for him, then we wouldn't want him anyway.

And to go back to an old rumour, I don't know if I imagined it but I think I read Bardsley is joining Sunderland.

Thats correct

As for SWP you have to take into consideration that he wants to play for England but is 3rd in line behind Gerard and Lennon for the right side position.He needs first team football.

He had options however it would seem.West Ham would mean he could stay in London where I imagine he is probarly settled and I belive he has 2 young kids.

He would improve us alot the option of a decent outlet on the wing and someone to run at defences is something we lack badly.

would be brilliant to get him. I rate him really highly.. even through his poor chelsea career but i remember that game for Man City he just completely carved us up.

Throw some money at Bale... remind him he wont start at bigger clubs where as the left back position is all his.. and so are the free kick duties..

then throw some money at Werder Bremen and get Klose and were all set for January.

Ahh.. shhh.. i can dream :)

Changing subject slightly, we need a Keeper.

Craig Gordon from Hearts of Lithuania is the best young keeper in Britain at the moment and is someone we should realy look at. Would cost 4-7m. Not a priority position I do realise but this would be a long term investment as hes around 22, and quality like him doesn't become avaliable everyday.

Staying with crazy Hearts and their nutter chairman, should we be looking at Paul Hartly as well? He always looks good when I've seen him for Scotland, but does he have the pace to deal with prem? anyone who knows?

Would love SWP. Think a loan is more realistic than a purchase, but I'd take that.

The only sticking point IMO is 'the London issue', ie. players wanting to stay in the capital. There's not a lot we can do about that other than paying a good wage to ensure the best players feel The Villa is the best place for them. This isnt just throwing money at mercenaries, it's just a commercial reality.

charlton and others have already agreed loans for players ahead of the transfer window. if i'm honest, am a little nervous that nothing will come to fruition - anybody else?

:notsure:

I'm quite hopeful that we too have one or two deals in place already and they will be announced on Jan 1st - It would follow from all the other understated but very professional behavior we have seen from the board thus far.

Fingers crossed eh?