Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

When you’re owned by some of the richest people on the planet and the shirts cost £110 each!

0648-F91-E-86-F7-4-FFB-BB65-34302-CF12-C

You’d like to think they’d have some control over the sale price of their shirts.

Edited by Genie

Surprised it's taken so long if I'm honest, whenever I go on a city break on holiday I look at local shirts, they've been around €90 for a few years

In the sports shop in town by me you can get last season's Dortmund or bayern shirts for €60 in the sale 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Surprised it's taken so long if I'm honest, whenever I go on a city break on holiday I look at local shirts, they've been around €90 for a few years

In the sports shop in town by me you can get last season's Dortmund or bayern shirts for €60 in the sale 

Yeah I did the Nou Camp tour back in 2013 (I think) and the Barca shirts in the club shop there were €100 then

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I did the Nou Camp tour back in 2013 (I think) and the Barca shirts in the club shop there were €100 then

That’s clearly very pricey, but a bit of a premium factor for getting it from their “home”. It’s like Disney toys from Disney world, people will pay more to get them from the park... but this is JD Sports selling these City shirt for £110 😲
£40-£50 used to feel expensive, it’s a bloody bargain now. 

Fans get excited at the prospect of filthy rich owners, but the merchandise and ticket prices don’t come down as you think they might. 

Edited by Genie

58 minutes ago, Genie said:

Fans get excited at the prospect of filthy rich owners, but the merchandise and ticket prices don’t come down as you think they might. 

its the side of FFP that's not talked about

the clubs have chased these £50m - 100m a year shirt deals from puma, nike and adidas in order to increase their revenue, they want their money back and its the fans who will be paying it back, training gear starts at £40 now

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

its the side of FFP that's not talked about

the clubs have chased these £50m - 100m a year shirt deals from puma, nike and adidas in order to increase their revenue, they want their money back and its the fans who will be paying it back, training gear starts at £40 now

Yeah I agree, club is like “woo hoo mega shirt deal”... but the fans are picking up the tab. 
The super rich clubs could do a different deal whereas shirts are more affordable for their supporters. Same with ticket prices. But they don’t.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

That’s clearly very pricey, but a bit of a premium factor for getting it from their “home”. It’s like Disney toys from Disney world, people will pay more to get them from the park... but this is JD Sports selling these City shirt for £110 😲
£40-£50 used to feel expensive, it’s a bloody bargain now. 

Oh I wasn't trying to defend the price or anything. It's ridiculous (although I'd assume it must be the "elite" version or whatever they call it. I think Kappa do one for us? Like a tight fitted exact replica of the actual playing shirts)

I was just echoing that shirts elsewhere are really expensive too

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I may be wrong, but I think city have some of the lowest priced tickets in the league 

I had a quick look but it’s hard to tell as most data has the cheapest and most expensive of which there could be a small handful and not representing an average situation. Fair play to them if they are generally good value because they are usually treated to some excellent football.

18 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I may be wrong, but I think city have some of the lowest priced tickets in the league 

They should because they rarely fill it right?

On 24/07/2020 at 09:08, villa4europe said:

they do the same as west ham, they sell 500 - 1000 (probably more) in one section at dirt cheap prices so that they can claim cheapest STs in the league which is then balanced by expensive tickets elsewhere

Things might have changed, but the super cheap season ticket that Manchester City used to sell didn’t have a fixed seat.  If you held one you’d get moved around to whatever seats didn’t get picked up in general sale.   Presumably that meant there was no guarantee you’d be with your friends or family during the match. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Things might have changed, but the super cheap season ticket that Manchester City used to sell didn’t have a fixed seat.  If you held one you’d get moved around to whatever seats didn’t get picked up in general sale.   Presumably that meant there was no guarantee you’d be with your friends or family during the match. 

That would be pretty cool if you were going on your own. 

I think it’s a smart move that all clubs should do.  It definitely suits a section of society who might feel priced out otherwise. Even if you are going with mates there’s nothing wrong with splitting up before kick off and meeting up at full time.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Rev said:

I think it’s a smart move that all clubs should do.  It definitely suits a section of society who might feel priced out otherwise. Even if you are going with mates there’s nothing wrong with splitting up before kick off and meeting up at full time.  

It would be great to sit it all different places.

If I was going on my own I’d possibly pay a premium for a floating seat.

Edited by Genie

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

It would be great to sit it all different places.

If I was going on my own I’d possibly pay a premium for a floating seat.

The bloke behind you would probably prefer you have one that’s nailed to the floor so you don’t block his view.  

• Haha 4

Anyone paying £110 for a replica shirt deserves to have all their money taken off them and donated to better causes. 

Â