Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Cant get the really top players. They all play for Bayern, Real and Barcelona.

So their only options are unproven 19 year olds from Brazil and error prone youngsters from Everton? They really have a shbolic transfer policy.

If they needed a centre half they should have a shortlist of the 6 best CB in the world and gone after them.

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

City want to be self sufficient though, so buying plays like Gabi Jesus, who will have a high re-sale value (or be there for ages) make sense for them. I do agree that they've made a mess of transfers overall though.

Gabi Jesus is the kind of player you bring in once you've established yourself at the top and ease him in gradually. Problem is they are now in the chasing pack and he's expected to score 25 goals or will be considered a failure.

7 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

So Pep's only any good with the very best players?

Yes maybe. I think it will take him at least until next season until we see the real City under Pep. Man u have spent more money than anybody. Nobody is saying Mourinho is failing

Just now, PaulC said:

Yes maybe. I think it will take him at least until next season until we see the real City under Pep. Man u have spent more money than anybody. Nobody is saying Mourinho is failing

They haven't though. City had the highest spend in the Premier League and, I believe, World football so far this season. He also inherited a team that most of which had won the league recently and just narrowly lost in the CL semi finals. Mourinho took over a team that's been shit for a number of years.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I seriously doubt that. 

Besides Jose inherited a mess and a failing team Pep didn't.

If Pep is only any good with the very best players in the world then it confirms what I've always thought about him. 

I find it both increadible and ridiculous given what he inherited and what he spent that people think he shouldn't be judged until next season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Cant get the really top players. They all play for Bayern, Real and Barcelona.

not really true though, their is top goalkeepers, defenders, midfielders who dont play for them teams that were gettable with their budget. 

I was just looking at Pep's transfer record. Who the hell is Dmytro Chygrynskiy and why did he pay over £20m for him when at Barca? I don't recall ever hearing of the bloke. Says a lot about his defensive signings.

Edited by kurtsimonw

2 hours ago, Genie said:

So their only options are unproven 19 year olds from Brazil and error prone youngsters from Everton? They really have a shbolic transfer policy.

If they needed a centre half they should have a shortlist of the 6 best CB in the world and gone after them.

They went after two A list players last summer....Aubameyang and Bonucci. Aubameyang seems content to stay at Dortmund until Real Madrid come calling and Bonucci pretty much used City to get a new contract at Juve.

If they'd got those two they'd be top of the league now.

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Only thing I'd say to that is Pellegrini won the title and got City playing really good football in 13/14.....his first season.

Only defence I'd give Pep is the spine of City (Kompany, Zabaleta, Yaya and Silva) are now in their 30s and in decline, Pello had them at their peak. Massive fan of Aguero but he hasn't been that good this season either imo.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Someone like Shawcross at Stoke would do a better job than what they have now, but they'd never buy a player like that 

Edited by Xela

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I seriously doubt that. 

Besides Jose inherited a mess and a failing team Pep didn't.

If Pep is only any good with the very best players in the world then it confirms what I've always thought about him. 

I find it both increadible and ridiculous given what he inherited and what he spent that people think he shouldn't be judged until next season.

I think in this modern world we expect too much too soon. They are managers not magicians. Its been three years since they won the league and they wouldn't have won that but for the Gerrard slip. Many of that squad have got old. I don't think Silva is the same player now. Like Chris said Aguero isn't producing the same type of form he did for Pellegrini. They played really well yesterday against a very good Spurs team. Consistency does seem a  problem though. If they win the champions league and finish top 4 then that's a fantastic season imo.

2 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I was just looking at Pep's transfer record. Who the hell is Dmytro Chygrynskiy and why did he pay over £20m for him when at Barca? I don't recall ever hearing of the bloke. Says a lot about his defensive signings.

a player more famous because he looks like Jesus

CoxgKpgXgAAcPDX.jpg

Their transfer policy has been nothing short of absolutely shocking though. with the amount of money they've spent you'd expect them to have a much better squad. How many of their players are truly world class (I know "world class" is a subjective term but hey ho), personally I'd say only Aguero, KDB and Delph are good enough for other "top" teams.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

How many truly world class players are currently playing in the Premier League. Shearer said only Aguero is world class. I wouldn't put Pogba, Sanchez or Hazard in the world class bracket.

? I dunno what to say really.  For me Hazard is absolutely world class.  Last season he lost his way, as did most of his team-mates, but other than that he has been top drawer and wouldn't look amiss in any side in the world, which is almost the dictionary definition.

Â