Would you report a family member for benefit fraud?

StewieGriffin

I was going to start an identical thread the other day but I've been too busy.

I have a relation who has a brand new car through a disability scheme. The criteria for qualification for this car is that the person should not be able to walk over 100m without assistance. The owner can walk around a Midland Reservoir without a problem, a distance estimated at 2.5 miles. There is no tax, service or insurance costs to worry about either. The relation does not work.

So, the person gets a car without meeting the criteria. The car is worth £10-12K.

Meanwhile, I work my arse off. I get a reasonable salary for my efforts, but I can not afford to go out and spunk £12k on a car. Neither can a lot of my colleagues. I therefore drive a ten year old car which cost a fifth of the car my relation gets for free.

How is this fair? Why shouldn't I grass on them?

Ah - my area of expertise

Fill it in, man

I work in the recovery of benefit overpayments, which includes fraud.

How long has the suspected fraud been going on for? If the total amount of the benefits incorrectly paid to the individual is less than £5k it is highly unlikely it would go to court, unless theyre a repeat offender. If the individual never admits wrongdoing, or is not convicted in court, we can't classify the overpayment as fraud - officially speaking, it's a 'mistake'.

Point being, if you're worried about dobbing someone in and they'll eventually be carted off down to the old bailey or something, that is hiiiiighly unlikely. The most probable course of events would be that the individual would be called into their local office for an interview, to see if they wanted to tell us anything, like they forgot to tell us when they could start walking properly again. If they did tell us something at that interview, great, we'd calculate an overpayment from the time the said they were better/were working when shouldnt have been/etc. if not then the investigators would try to conjure up some evidence to the contrary of what they were told, hold an interview under caution, and see if the claimant accepts liability. This is the part on those shows when they show the individual a video of them doing a marathon when theyre supposed to be confined to a wheelchair or something. At some point thereafter they would get a letter from us telling them how much they owe. If they continue to claim benefit we would take it straight from that. It's also important to bear in mind that your ability to claim benefits can not be rescinded, even if found guilty of benefit fraud and jailed. Your ability to claim or payments whilst claiming can be sanctioned, but the soc' can't just say 'SORRY YOUVE BEEN TO NAUGHTY NO MORE DOLE FOR YOU'. At least not yet.

In short - don't let any reservations or worries about repercussions you might have put you off shopping someone. It's anonymous so they won't know who did it, you'd only have to live with the guilt yourself like :)

I think it would depend on the relation, the further away related, the more likely I wouldn't mind snitchin. If it were my parents like, I certainly wouldn't say a thing. But I used to have an Aunt who was a mega bitch and actually used to commit fraud and steal from businesses for fun, in such a case I would have no problem putting this person in their place.

The relations I would happily snitch on, with justifications;

1. Dad

In my teens, he left me to be eaten by a wild boar just to save his own skin.

2. Sister

When we first got a Playstation, I told her not to use it until I showed her how it works. She subsequently played it whilst I was out and deleted my Tomb Raider save of some hours. She also wanted to collect football stickers just because I did, so I got less packets from my parents and she wouldn't swap when she got Garry Parker who I desperately needed.

3. Charles

Technically not a relation, but a friend of the family (in the pseudo-Uncle role). Walked in on me having sex with my first girlfriend because he didn't knock. Also, when both families were on holiday in Florida together he yelled at me because I changed the channel during Buffy The Vampire Slayer (I thought I was being considerate as it might be too violent a show for his kids who were also watching). Douchebag.

Yes! Benefit fraud is a crime, would you report them for any other crime? why turn a blind eye to this. Benefit fraud is one of the things that really grates on me! If you were to talk to them and then they were found out surely they would pin the blame on you making it worse. Grass them up, don't talk to them about it before.

Out of curiosity, if you had a family member who was a drug dealer. Would you grass them up too?

Yes! I despise drugs!

Congratulations new world soldier :) You'll fit right into the new order. Ever read 1984?

The relations I would happily snitch on, with justifications;

1. Dad

In my teens, he left me to be eaten by a wild boar just to save his own skin.

2. Sister

When we first got a Playstation, I told her not to use it until I showed her how it works. She subsequently played it whilst I was out and deleted my Tomb Raider save of some hours. She also wanted to collect football stickers just because I did, so I got less packets from my parents and she wouldn't swap when she got Garry Parker who I desperately needed.

3. Charles

Technically not a relation, but a friend of the family (in the pseudo-Uncle role). Walked in on me having sex with my first girlfriend because he didn't knock. Also, when both families were on holiday in Florida together he yelled at me because I changed the channel during Buffy The Vampire Slayer (I thought I was being considerate as it might be too violent a show for his kids who were also watching). Douchebag.

POTY

Oh Gareth, I feel your pain. Needing a football sticker is one thing (I once needed the Atlético Madrid foil to complete Football '90*), but to need a Villa football sticker, from a sibling and not get it, I'm surprised you've kept it together this long :lol:

* It all ended happily :thumb:

2. Sister

She also wanted to collect football stickers just because I did, so I got less packets from my parents and she wouldn't swap when she got Garry Parker who I desperately needed.

I have an image in my head of her being handcuffed, struggling and trying to shrug off two blokes whilst being taken down those stairs you get in court and her looking at you distraught, asking 'Why Gareth, why?' and you, with a single tear running down your cheek, through gritted teeth replying simply, 'Garry Parker'.

yes, of course you should report them.

if its your immediate family (mother, father, sister, brother) then you should talk to them first.

if its extended family, then report them. Its the same as reporting them for stealing a car or burglary or vandalising a bus-stop.

if its your immediate family (mother, father, sister, brother) then you should talk to them first.

if its extended family, then report them. Its the same as reporting them for stealing a car or burglary or vandalising a bus-stop.

Seriously? You would grass up your own family members. Yes its wrong, but that could likely cause a family split and them not talk to you again.

It's odd, because I know you're right, but it would still feel weird. Stealing a car or burlary I would, but I wouldn't for vandalising a bus stop. I don't know why that is.

Yes! Benefit fraud is a crime, would you report them for any other crime? why turn a blind eye to this. Benefit fraud is one of the things that really grates on me! If you were to talk to them and then they were found out surely they would pin the blame on you making it worse. Grass them up, don't talk to them about it before.

Out of curiosity, if you had a family member who was a drug dealer. Would you grass them up too?

Yes! I despise drugs!

Congratulations new world soldier :) You'll fit right into the new order. Ever read 1984?

Is that the book that that Orville bloke wrote?

Â