Would you report a family member for benefit fraud?

StewieGriffin

it soon becomes a slippery slope if you're willing to disregard your own morals just because its your family.

very well put Ender4.

Um I'm sorry but no it doesn't become a slippery slope. Someone is either family or they're not. It's not a slope at all. Though I can see how it might be convenient to paint any opposition to your point of view in that manner - that they're somehow open to moral corruption and that they won't know where to stop with their reckless disregard of the law. I think there's a certain morality corruption when it comes to betraying your own family. That's much worse to me than the perceived morality of someone doing wrong by a system set up by a government. Sorry but the more we talk about this, the more it actually beggars belief that people (who don't hate their family) would rat out their family :lol:

Shopping your own family is something I could never do, no matter how distant the relation.

under any cicumstances Bri?

Pretty much yeah. If there's someone out there whose paid job it is to track down any kind of abuse then leave them at it. I won't help against my family.

Shopping your own family is something I could never do, no matter how distant the relation.

Pretty much yeah. If there's someone out there whose paid job it is to track down any kind of abuse then leave them at it. I won't help against my family.

:shock:

Child abuse?

it soon becomes a slippery slope if you're willing to disregard your own morals just because its your family.

very well put Ender4.

Um I'm sorry but no it doesn't become a slippery slope. Someone is either family or they're not. It's not a slope at all. Though I can see how it might be convenient to paint any opposition to your point of view in that manner - that they're somehow open to moral corruption and that they won't know where to stop with their reckless disregard of the law. I think there's a certain morality corruption when it comes to betraying your own family. That's much worse to me than the perceived morality of someone doing wrong by a system set up by a government. Sorry but the more we talk about this, the more it actually beggars belief that people (who don't hate their family) would rat out their family :lol:

So there are no crimes your family could commit which would result on you reporting them to the police? None? Really? Not even murder? Serial killing? If the answer is still no - then fair enough no slippery slope for you - but I would then have to question your morality.

:shock:

Child abuse?

Bump.

very well put Ender4.

So there are no crimes your family could commit which would result on you reporting them to the police? None? Really? Not even murder? Serial killing? If the answer is still no - then fair enough no slippery slope for you - but I would then have to question your morality.

Indeed Chomer, indeed.

The responses in this thread reminded me of I had a conversation with a Danish friend of the family who was putting the point of view across that in today’s modern world it makes little sense to treat you relatives/family members any different to anyone else.

The concept of blood relations being the most important form of relation comes about from a clan survival instinct but today with the government taking care of peoples needs you don't need to treat your brother/sister/parent/child any different to anyone else once they are old enough to stand on their own two feet.

It is an idea that would probably only come from a Scandinavian but logically (if not emotionally) it makes sense. Why treat someone differently just because you happen to be related to them?

What about adopted children or step parents, can they never be considered more important to you than a blood relation?

yeah, barton really should have helped his axe wielding brother and provided him with an alibily. What a disgracefully disloyal arsebiscuit.*

*admittedly somewhat different circumstances, I just wanted an excuse to call JB an arsebiscuit.

"nothing's ever black or white, and when it is, it usually involves a body count. "( POTUS, Jed Bartlet )

very much dependant on severity and family member. Have worked in local govt, and in a social housing dept and seen many a case of people who are clearly taking the piss so in general I dislike it and there needs to be faults to the system corrected, but I'm ambivalent about where that responsibility lies. Moral idealism of being the better change you want in the world often conflict with cynical - well if rich **** are going to exploit loopholes then, ****, I see why other people take what they can get.

I love VT too. Though 5 pages before the serial killing axe murdering child shaggers argument comes out is a more patient outcome than normal :lol:

The responses in this thread reminded me of I had a conversation with a Danish friend of the family who was putting the point of view across that in today’s modern world it makes little sense to treat you relatives/family members any different to anyone else.

The concept of blood relations being the most important form of relation comes about from a clan survival instinct but today with the government taking care of peoples needs you don't need to treat your brother/sister/parent/child any different to anyone else once they are old enough to stand on their own two feet.

It is an idea that would probably only come from a Scandinavian but logically (if not emotionally) it makes sense. Why treat someone differently just because you happen to be related to them?

What about adopted children or step parents, can they never be considered more important to you than a blood relation?

It is an idea that would only come from a Scandinavian? What does that mean?

Is this what the world has come to? A world full of people who would turn on their own family?

Who needs enemies when you cant even trust your own family?

I just thank whoever is up there that im not of the mind set of some people on this thread and i value what family i have! I genuinely feel sorry for your families. What a lonely world some of you must live in.

I'd love to see some of your families reactions if they were to ever read this thread.

Turn on my family? Not for all the money in the world!

How come this thread has gone from benefit fraud to murder and child abuse? It's all about the seriousness of the crime, I could go from turning a blind eye to showing my disapproval to going straight to the authorities depending on what it was that was going on.

If somone is on the fiddle but actually needed the money, blind eye. If someone is on the major fiddle and buying luxury items I'd show my strong disapproval. Any incidence where someone was being directly hurt or abused, I don't care who they are, I'd go straight to the authorities for the sake of the victim.

very much dependant on severity and family member. Have worked in local govt, and in a social housing dept and seen many a case of people who are clearly taking the piss so in general I dislike it and there needs to be faults to the system corrected, but I'm ambivalent about where that responsibility lies. Moral idealism of being the better change you want in the world often conflict with cynical - well if rich **** are going to exploit loopholes then, ****, I see why other people take what they can get.

This. :thumb:

How come this thread has gone from benefit fraud to murder and child abuse? It's all about the seriousness of the crime, I could go from turning a blind eye to showing my disapproval to going straight to the authorities depending on what it was that was going on.

If somone is on the fiddle but actually needed the money, blind eye. If someone is on the major fiddle and buying luxury items I'd show my strong disapproval. Any incidence where someone was being directly hurt or abused, I don't care who they are, I'd go straight to the authorities for the sake of the victim.

At last.

It is an idea that would only come from a Scandinavian? What does that mean?

The Scandinavian mindset is often said to be that of being independent but with a strong relationship with the state. "If everyone does the right thing by the system then every one will be taken care of".

The American mindset seems to be more that "if everyone does the right thing by their family then everyone will be taken care of".

The UK is probably somewhere in between.

There does seem to be a different style of thinking about society that I have noticed from Scandinavians. The Japanese as well.

Â