Beginning of the end for GAME?

hogso

I think the happy medium is the state that Gamestop exists in but it doesn't stop them getting moaned at in the States. The industry blows a lot of hot air regarding the practices of physical retailers but that's only because publishers are always trying to find a scapegoat for their failure to achieve that mythical maximum profit margin.

Should they get their wish and eliminate the used games market (as some insiders have said they'd like to do), they might soon see their whole chocolate palace melt around their ears. The used market creates cashflow for people who buy new; it gives gamers a cheaper first taste of franchises they later will pay premium for; it creates customers for DLC (on the used titles); it creates a price point for people who can't afford every triple-A title; second hand availability tempts people to buy the consoles themselves, expanding the customer base; and it makes money for retailers who open more stores and sell, guess what, millions of new full price titles. No need to even go into the whole consumer rights aspect... People have been trading second hand since before Mario got bum-fluff on his lip - nowadays the games industry is worth billions and we're expected to believe retailers are screwing over publishers somehow? I don't buy it.

As for why GAME has done so much worse than their US counterpart, that beats me. Some bad decision making somewhere along the line, I assume.

I think the happy medium is the state that Gamestop exists in but it doesn't stop them getting moaned at in the States. The industry blows a lot of hot air regarding the practices of physical retailers but that's only because publishers are always trying to find a scapegoat for their failure to achieve that mythical maximum profit margin.

Should they get their wish and eliminate the used games market (as some insiders have said they'd like to do), they might soon see their whole chocolate palace melt around their ears. The used market creates cashflow for people who buy new; it gives gamers a cheaper first taste of franchises they later will pay premium for; it creates customers for DLC (on the used titles); it creates a price point for people who can't afford every triple-A title; second hand availability tempts people to buy the consoles themselves, expanding the customer base; and it makes money for retailers who open more stores and sell, guess what, millions of new full price titles. No need to even go into the whole consumer rights aspect... People have been trading second hand since before Mario got bum-fluff on his lip - nowadays the games industry is worth billions and we're expected to believe retailers are screwing over publishers somehow? I don't buy it.

As for why GAME has done so much worse than their US counterpart, that beats me. Some bad decision making somewhere along the line, I assume.

Spot on post.

and your right about bad decisions. Gamestation was massively profitable when they bought it (200 shops for £84 million) and traded the right way, giving gamers what they wanted and a desire to go into their shops. They promised to keep them separate brands and learn from each other but sacked most of the Gamestation head office staff and moved the few left to the GAME H/O. Slowly the GAME mentality took over the Gamestation from a lot of muppets who didn't know what they were doing and had seen a steep curve in their careers due to riding the wave of the industry boom that was nothing to do with their input. Now the company is worth 20 mill (was 720 shops down to 600 now)

Gamestation in the early 2000's was brilliant. Birmingham had the flagship store, they stocked retro games, their staff were helpful and seemed to know what was going on, it was pretty chilled out, no hard selling etc.

There was always a bargin in there. You could buy old hardware like NES's, Mega Drives and other cool shit.

Now its a Game clone, and Games (IMO) have always been boring and expensive.

But! I'd prefer it if high street stores still existed, because I like browsing. Saying that I'm 25 soon, I think this generation may well be my last.

I'm getting married next year and want kids before im 30, might be a good time to spend time doing worthwhile things rather than spending 15 hours a week on my arse pressing buttons..

I bloody hope they don't go, Second hand games and trade-in is how I afford to keep getting games. My internet is shit so I'm not downloading anything, and the only supermarket around for miles is Morrisons. Whose gaming section might as well be none existent.

buy online, save money

But I can't trade in online, that was one of the points I was trying to make.

On a side note, Game HQ is in Basingstoke so if it does all go tits up the local job market is going to be even more **** competitive. :|

Had a mate who used to work in the warehouse. I also failed a phone interview for a tech role there a few years back mainly because Im not good at buzz words. Despite the hit to my ego, they actually did me a favour as 2 years later I ended up in the role Im in now earning double what they were offering.

Yeah, the work there is mind-numbingly shite (so I've heard). Lot of student-type phone jockeys and part-timers happy to pull in peanuts because they get to play computer games at lunchtime.

That is similar to what I heard, albeit from one of the stores rather than the warehouse. My mate after graduating worked there and was even managing a store down in Exeter at one point. To put it bluntly though - there was no career prospects, the pay was rubbish and he decided that enough was enough. Sure, it was a fun job but he couldn't be there in the long term. I wish them well but then again, I also wish HMV well. I fear both are facing bleak times.

Gamestation in the early 2000's was brilliant. Birmingham had the flagship store, they stocked retro games, their staff were helpful and seemed to know what was going on, it was pretty chilled out, no hard selling etc.

There was always a bargin in there. You could buy old hardware like NES's, Mega Drives and other cool shit.

i agree it was tops before!

i have to say buying 2nd hand i like. i bought saints row 2 for £8 and yakuza 4 for £7 absolute bargins

People have been trading second hand since before Mario got bum-fluff on his lip - nowadays the games industry is worth billions and we're expected to believe retailers are screwing over publishers somehow? I don't buy it.

never, ever, ever before has there been such a push on second hand sales by retailers as there is right now. walk into a game store and you'll see one shelf of new games, and the rest of the shop full of second hand ones - second hand sales that the publishers and developers dont see a penny of

the retailers got greedy and they're paying for it

I've been waiting a long time for this news.

...I'm not bitter.

I'm quite surprised at the amount of similar sentiments I've heard. AMcL is a blaze with similar comments. I've personally never had any bad experiences with them, online or in store...but tbf most of the bad stuff I've heard is what 'gamers' have heard staff in stores telling people who blatently know nothing about computer games and are buying for their kids or whatever.

Wrong forum?

^ Word filter.

Preowned isn't necessarily a bad thing for the industry. Especially in a industry that increasingly is supplemented and served by DLC and the like. The amount of sales that I put through the till for a weeks big releases that come about because someone has been able to trade in far outweighs those that come in to deal purely in cash.

^ Word filter.

Preowned isn't necessarily a bad thing for the industry. Especially in a industry that increasingly is supplemented and served by DLC and the like. The amount of sales that I put through the till for a weeks big releases that come about because someone has been able to trade in far outweighs those that come in to deal purely in cash.

not really

how many used games a week would your store sell, compared to new game?

if there are no trade ins and disgustingly skewed towards second hand stores like game left, then the actual money that the industry makes will increase, that's a guarantee. the industry is worth billions, yes, but a very, very hefty cut of those billions are second hand game sales where nobody in the industry sees a penny, aside from the likes of game

I'm not sure but I think there's been a crackdown on names for McLeish, so wouldn't be surprised if it clashes with a website name or something.

Anyway... I was a bit annoyed I wasn't able to pick up a Mass Effect 3 CE at our store, because our allocation was filled. I guess it doesn't matter now.

^ Word filter.

Damn. Thought it was a nerd phrase and I was being hilarious.

What's the word?

G-C (without the dash) was replaced with AMcL, first thing that comes to mind that that might stand for is ginger word removed ofc :lol:

Although I quite like the sound of 'AMcL is a blaze', but I have no idea what it does/could mean

We've Game and Gamestation here, my girlfriend wanted to buy me Goldeneye and Fifa for my birthday, we looked in Game/Gamestation where one was £42.99 (pre-owned a few quid less) and another was £39.99.

So, we checked Tesco, got one for £32.99 and another for £29.99, and yes I miss out on about £3 of reward points, but I also gain £10 of savings.

Go figure game and gamestation.

I'd have been happy with a pre-owned copy if it was cheaper but considering I still had to pay to play one online if I did!!!!!

The supermarket prices are generally loss leaders though. Enough people (like me) will also get their weekly groceries while they are in the store buying a game to make it worth it for them. The high street cannot compete with that.

Â