Beginning of the end for GAME?

hogso

^I've explained that before. It looks stupid to the customer, but from the businesses point of view it's a perfectly normal and valid thing.

Maybe there's a link between something so ridiculous seeming like a normal and valid thing, and the company going down the shitter.

There isn't.

Things like that happen when the company wants to shift new stock. The new stock and preowned stock are considered as wholly seperate items, their prices are not set to correlate, there is nothing set up that says that the new must always be a higher price than then preowned.

Because you can't do that. They have different values to the company. Stock that isn't sold costs money. There is inherently less profit in new stock in the games world than preowned (usually - preowned can easily make a loss too but tends to take longer, which is why the idea that selling preowned automatically means that a company is raking in money hand over fist is incorrect), thus there is often a pressing need to move new stock on. The same may not be said of the preowned.

So you often will find that a company sells new stock at a lower cost than they would a preowned. It looks silly to the customer because the customer is not looking at the business perspective, they're coming to the store simply to buy an item, and they view the new and preowned as the same thing. The business doesn't, they value them differently and see them as entirely seperate items.

GAME Groups problems are not down to things like this, not by a long shot (I've already dealt with exactly what the problems are). If it were the case, they'd have gone bust years ago, because they've been doing this since day one. And will continue to do so. And if Game and Gamestation live on, in one form or another, it'll continue to happen. It's just the way it is.

That's just looks like bad business practise to me. The optimum business outcome for the company would be to sell both items, and if they're priced so that one of the items won't be sold, then that's not a successful strategy. Faulkner's not a director of Game is he?

That's just looks like bad business practise to me. The optimum business outcome for the company would be to sell both items, and if they're priced so that one of the items won't be sold, then that's not a successful strategy. Faulkner's not a director of Game is he?

It depends. If they've got 2 pre-owned copies of Madnation racers but 150 brand new copies, then it makes perfect sense. The customer will think "wow, I can get it brand new for cheaper than it is pre-owned, bargain!"

Pricing it like that makes them more likely to sell the unwanted new stock. If they priced the preowned cheaper, as you'd expect, then that small amount of pre owned stock woul dbe gone very quickly and they'd be left with a load of new stock they can't shift.

It was supposed to be a cross between Little Big Planet and Mario Kart, well, it was a cross between Little Big Planet and Mario Kart...just not a good one. Users made their tracks and shared them, customised their cars and stuff, on paper that sounds alright, but from what I remember the most important part - the racing - was pretty horrible.

I went in game and gamestation for the first time in ages at the weekend, maybe to pick up a bargain. Ehhh I didn't. Only thing that caught my eye were some cheap 2nd hand Wii's, which I'm semi-interested in, but they're not stocking the game I wanted for it...

It depends. If they've got 2 pre-owned copies of Madnation racers but 150 brand new copies, then it makes perfect sense. The customer will think "wow, I can get it brand new for cheaper than it is pre-owned, bargain!"

Pricing it like that makes them more likely to sell the unwanted new stock. If they priced the preowned cheaper, as you'd expect, then that small amount of pre owned stock woul dbe gone very quickly and they'd be left with a load of new stock they can't shift.

That, basically. It doesn't happen all that often, but it does sometimes. Obviously what Risso suggests is what you aim for, but sometimes it becomes more important to move the new stock than the used.

MVC was reporting yesterday that one option on the table (of 4, 1 of which had been written off and the other was massively unlikely, leaving 'Go bust' or 'Go bust and try to start again' as options) was to voluntarily enter administration by the end of the week, dump half the stores (i.e. nuke Gamestation) and start over on Monday... which looks like it's happening.

They won't close all of the Gamestation stores, a couple of them make incredible money and have superb placement - the New Street store has become so large that it's run as it's own region now I was hearing the other day. They'll keep a few choice stores. The others will go.

Don't expect some massive everything must go sale either. Gamestation stock will go to Game branches. Some new stock, particularly Sony stuff, will go back to them (you may have noticed a sticker on the back of Sony products bought from Game/Gamestation/HMV recently, that basically says 'Property of Sony - go bust and we want this back'.

Basically this means my job is not long for this world. My store is profitable, largely because it does steady trade and has absolutely tiny overheads, but the local Game does bigger money and is in a better location - meaning my store will be chopped, meaning I'm out of the job no doubt. I can't deny I don't like an awful lot of the job, and only did it to get some cash in my pocket and something on my CV post uni, but we've got some great guys and I've had a laugh more often than not and we're generally considered to be a good store. And now we'll all be out on our ear.

Just bagged my bargain haul.

RDR: Undead Nightmare

Medal Of Honour T1

Mortal Kombat

IL*2 Sturmovik

F1 2011

Fallout New Vegas

F3AR

Borderlands

TOTAL: £87

Might pop back in over the weekend and pick up a slimline 360.

Damn it Chindie, why couldn't you have said that 5 minutes earlier so I would've seen it?! Now my glee justs seem crass and inappropriate. f_doh.gif

Anyway, chin up old bean, where a door closes a window opens. I got made redundant last year, a mere 2 months later I was doing a better job with better people.

I've gotten used to the hideous glee some people have at seeing a company go under. I've basically stopped using HotUKDeals since the companies issues went more overtly public, as reading the comments (which is a necessary evil on that site), for someone who was employed by that company, made me angry.

Â