Beginning of the end for GAME?

hogso

I spoke to the chaps in the Basingstoke branch, they said they had their manager coming in later today to tell them what was going on but as far as they'd heard stores would start closing from next week onwards. I suspect as there's a rather large GAME in the same shopping centre (a unit that has a greater footfall) that they'd be among the initial casualities.

How long have you been with the company Chindie? If it's more than two years you might be entitled to a statutory redundancy payment. It probably won't amount to much, but it'll be better than nothing. If you are, you can use Direct Gov's online calculator to give you an idea of how much to expect.

Started as a temp in October 2010, started a proper contract in Feb 2011, so don't qualify for redundancy. Would of been **** all even if I had.

I figure our store will shut pretty sharpish. I imagine our last few shifts will be carrying preowned stock down the road to GAME, we're forever carting stuff between each others stores.

The GAME will stay open, better location, costs more but does decent money more often than not. We take small figures consistantly, allegedly one of the most profitable sites in the company percentage wise, but it won't be enough to justify keeping us going, especially with other issues.

I had said I'd be out of the company by summer. Guess I was right.

Heard it's all over on Monday.

Unlikely. Tomorrow will just be an official confirmation of appointing an administrator. The quarterly rent bill is due tomorrow (technically tonight) and there is no way we can pay it. So that will signal us officially being out of cash. But it won't mean the company will just close up tomorrow. It'll take a while for closures to happen while the administrators work out what to do.

Hey Chindie, sorry to hear about this mate.

I was made redundant when Stead and Simpson went under, which was a few weeks after I was made a supervisor. Gutted. We actually never saw it coming, or at least nobody was told. Really feel for you mate and I want to just let you know. I may be a critic of Game etc, but I never ever want people to go through that sickening feeling, I know it too well.

Adminstrator appointed (PwC), looking to sell the company as a going concern.

No idea whats happening with my job yet. Well, thats a lie, I'm soon to be unemployed, it's a just a case of exactly when, barring miracles.

I hope if any of you had trade cards or loyalty points to use, you did, because they've now been stopped, i.e. if you can find a store thats open for business, your loyalty points can't be used and neither can your trade card at the moment.

And if you had money down on anything for a preorder, that cannot be refunded at this moment in time.

Personally I'm quite sad to see this happen to GAME. I've been shopping at the store in the Pallasades in Birmingham since the Electronic Boutique days. I'd say 90% of the games that I've bought in the last 10 years have been from GAME. I always did my pre-orders with them too.

I had about 9 quid left on my loyalty card I think. I was planning on taking some games to trade in later on this week. I know that I can still trade in elsewhere but GAME always offered me better prices than the likes of HMV. Oh well, sign of the times I guess. Big shame though!

Here's an article relevant to Ireland. Basically, yes, they are looking at all of their "international territories".

Fears for Game’s 13 Irish stores as funding difficulties hit share price

GameShop.jpg

There is growing uncertainty over the future of leading high-street computer game retailer Game, which operates 13 stores in Ireland, employing 125 people.

The firm has seen its share price plunge on the back of funding and stock supply difficulties.

A spokesperson for the London Stock Exchange-listed Game Group plc — which has seen its share price plummet by 94% in the past year — said yesterday that the business was looking at all funding options, after it had been reported that management was putting the company up for sale.

The Basingstoke-headquartered group — which, as well as Britain and Ireland, trades in France, Sweden, Spain, Portugal, the Czech Republic, and Australia — said yesterday that it is reviewing the position of all of its assets "in the UK and international territories".

Last month, the company agreed revisions to its existing lending agreements, a move which basically allowed it to remain trading. It has, however, encountered trouble with suppliers, some of whom are reticent to distribute new games titles to the company on account of its funding position.

Game said yesterday that talks with suppliers are continuing but it has, so far, not been possible to source new products from a number of suppliers.

"It is uncertain whether any of the solutions, currently being explored by the board, will be successful or will result in any value being attributed to the shares of the company," the company’s management added.

To add to Game’s woes, its share price sank by another 65% yesterday. As for its future, press speculation has linked it with a tie-up with US retailer, Gamestop — which has been closing its stores in Britain and Ireland, as part of its strategy of becoming an online seller.

Game has been closing stores, including 19 across Britain and Ireland last year.

However, British analysts have suggested that any likely suitor would probably wait to see if the group goes into administration before making a move.

On the international stores front, I think only the Swedish arm might be alright, because I seem to remember hearing that was run somewhat seperately from the main company, or something.

Although saying that I understand that the Swedish stores do next to no business so *shrug*.

I did read earlier that the Irish stores have been nuked, so to speak - i.e. they're goners. But seen little confirmation outside of a couple of Dublin stores apparently shuttered already.

Â