Beginning of the end for GAME?

hogso

are the GAME shops in the states in as much trouble as the ones here?

i buy most of my game sonline these days to be honest. come straight to my door without watsing time lining up and being sold some bollox i didnt need or ask for

I always enjoy going to games shops and it will be a shame to see them leave the high st.

I certainly think that buying games from a shop is better, although not cheaper, than buying them online.

For example, if it weren't for games shops I wouldn't have been introduced to Secret of Mana on the SNES in 1993 as the only reason I bought it was because I could look at the box and think "this is **** cool."

i agree with that jacketspuds and id forgot about the old 10 day return policy which meant you could pick up things that looked cool and then return them if they ended up being a bit shit, another huge advantage GAME had over everyone else

i cant help but think they've shot themselves in the foot, they pretty much dont do any of the things that made them so popular in the 1st place any more

Gamestation used to have a pretty nice retro section, but that went out the window years back. My local indy games shop doesnt really have any games in it anymore, but only a couple of years ago they were stocking everything from current gen back to megadrive and snes. And what thanks do they get? Well, now they have literally a handful of computer games, DVDs, books, and CD/records. It's basically a nicely stocked charity shop without the charity :) Sad though, it was a staple of a walk through town after school at one time, seeing the new releases, whats in the bargain bucket, playing on the consoles in store...I guess those days are gone now, and never to return :cry:

Gamestation used to have a pretty nice retro section, but that went out the window years back. My local indy games shop doesnt really have any games in it anymore, but only a couple of years ago they were stocking everything from current gen back to megadrive and snes. And what thanks do they get? Well, now they have literally a handful of computer games, DVDs, books, and CD/records. It's basically a nicely stocked charity shop without the charity :) Sad though, it was a staple of a walk through town after school at one time, seeing the new releases, whats in the bargain bucket, playing on the consoles in store...I guess those days are gone now, and never to return :cry:

Ah Entertainment Exchange. Yeah that shop used to be fantastic, then I went in it recently and it was just horribly depressing. :(

Ah Entertainment Exchange. Yeah that shop used to be fantastic, then I went in it recently and it was just horribly depressing. :(

I know right. It can't possibly stay open for much longer, goodness only knows how long it's stayed open for this long. I havent been in there for ages actually, might pop my head in the door tomorrow for old times sake as I finish work early.

Entertainment Exchange was brilliant for games and music. It's a shame that it was on the wrong side of the ring road for most people because Game just killed it in the end. :(

Big up the Nuneaton posse boiiiiiiiiiiiiii :D

*ahem*

On-topic - Wal-Mart are now atop the rumour mill in the 'who will buy GAME group' stakes, followed by Comet (or the owners of) and Gamestop, who have publically stated their interested in the Spanish arm of Game. GAME group would apparently cost £15m to buy all in, which is considered as 'pocket change' for Wal-Mart, who would look to keep stores open rather than rebuild the brand from scratch.

please god not comet their service is fecking awful
I bought something a laptop them today and their service was what sold it, I suppose it depends person to person though. They're better than PC world at least.

are the GAME shops in the states in as much trouble as the ones here?
I don't think GAME itself has any stores in the USA, but Gamestop would probably be the American equivalent. Gamestop are massive and thriving, also among the top contenders to take over GAME. That's why I think this isn't a case of 'the death of retail' or anything similarly apocalyptic.

If Gamestop did take over, people are going to have a nice surprise if they inact their US policies in their UK assets. You think Game are bad now? They've got nothing on GameStop, a company almost universally derided by the gaming public in the US.

Yeah, from what I understand they are very similar. Still, I bought from them a couple of times when I was over there for new and used titles and had no complaints - friendly staff, OK prices.

Then again, the fact that it was $2 to £1 exchange rate at the time didn't hurt :lol:

please god not comet their service is fecking awful
I bought something a laptop them today and their service was what sold it, I suppose it depends person to person though. They're better than PC world at least.

wait until you have something wrong with it...

wait until you have something wrong with it...

THIS

the after sale service is shocking. i bought a brand new TV they sent me a auction TV that was used scratched, had screws mising. sorting that out was a nightmare

their finance company they use is the absolute worst company i have ever dealt with. will never use them again. comet sucks

Ill always remember the time when I saw Modnation Racers brand new for £19.99 and then £24.99 pre-owned in GAME. Real head scratcher that one.

Im gonna win the euro lottery and bring it all back as Electronics Boutique!

Â