Non-Villa Icon

irreverentad

Following on from the discussion about goalscorers v footballers....I was wondering who everyones footballing icons were/are who have never played for Villa.

Growing up in an era of Football Italia on C4 I fell in love with the Italian football in the 90s but I would always gaze in wonder at the skill of Roberto Baggio.

Baggio became an obsession for me and I always was him on the playground at school. Although I obviously did not possess his touch, vision or skill.

Who was/is your Non-Villa icon?

Let's see, there's...

Stefan Effenberg

Uwe Kamps

Peter Wynhoff

Patrik Andersson

Francesco Toldo

Rui Costa

Gabriel Batistuta

Theo Snelders

Alex McLeish

Eoin Jess

Jorge Campos

That probably about covers it for when I was a kid.

This has been done twice before, I remember one of the times it was titled "Non villa players you admire". But then again I dont blame you for not searching through off topic for them. That may take ages.

To answer your question Baggio, Henry, Stoitchkov and Juninho Pernambucano.

Bin Dunne, but I'll answer the same today as the last time: Zico. What a player. Among the best but not the best, but the way he played... I loved watching him. I was always Zico when we played football on the street.

luis enrique but im not sure why, i liked him anyway i think because he used to run round like amd and play everywhere and then i met him a he was a nice bloke

youri djorkeaff because he scored an amazing overhead kick for inter

i went for romario after usa 94 rather than baggio

bergkamp is my favourite non villa prem player

hagi because he took everything including the throw ins and goal kicks

This has been done twice before, I remember one of the times it was titled "Non villa players you admire". But then again I dont blame you for not searching through off topic for them. That may take ages.

To answer your question Baggio, Henry, Stoitchkov and Juninho Pernambucano.

haha I actually did but I couldn't see it on the 21 pages.....must have missed it!

Oh well times change....maybe heroes do too :winkold:

Let's see, there's...

Stefan Effenberg

Uwe Kamps

Peter Wynhoff

Patrik Andersson

Francesco Toldo

Rui Costa

Gabriel Batistuta

Theo Snelders

Alex McLeish

Eoin Jess

Jorge Campos

That probably about covers it for when I was a kid.

Gareth, I finished the biogrophy on Enke a couple of weeks ago and being that you are a big BM fan how good was he for BM?

Gareth, I finished the biogrophy on Enke a couple of weeks ago and being that you are a big BM fan how good was he for BM?

By the time he got a decent run out, the team was on one hell of a decline so it'd be harsh of me to be too critical. We were terrible at the back, shipped a ****-tonne of goals and got relegated but he at least did enough for Heynckes to take him to Benfica where he really started to pick up his game. I think Hannover got the very best out of him in those later years.

Sadly, I never got to see him play myself. I saw him warm the bench in a match against MSV Duisburg, but by the time he was making the odd appearance my family had moved back to England.

By the time he got a decent run out, the team was on one hell of a decline so it'd be harsh of me to be too critical. We were terrible at the back, shipped a ****-tonne of goals and got relegated but he at least did enough for Heynckes to take him to Benfica where he really started to pick up his game. I think Hannover got the very best out of him in those later years.

Sadly, I never got to see him play myself. I saw him warm the bench in a match against MSV Duisburg, but by the time he was making the odd appearance my family had moved back to England.

Thanks Gareth. Good to get some perspective as the book sometimes paints him a bit like a 'super hero' in goal. Great book, nontheless.

Â