Non-Villa Icon

irreverentad

Zidane, my father has never been really into football but he loved watching him play.

Gerrard (going to get slaughtered for this on here :lol:), hurled Plop from the Uefa Cup places into Europe's elite almost single-handedly, the very definition of silent leadership imo, always the one running about and showing incredible determination.

Scholes, brilliant, brilliant player. Nuff said.

Robben, love watching him swivel onto his magical left foot and leaving defenders in their wake.

Didn't mention Messi because I think he's a huge prick like the rest of the Barca squad with their arrogance and inflated sense of entitlement.

Oh, and I want to add Gazza to my earlier list which only included one player. He had everything, I'd say he was one of the best players in the world a year or two either side of Italia 90, and if it wasnt for terrible luck with injuries and too much time spent in the pub, who knows what he could have achieved? Surrounded by bad people at Spurs, he should have signed for Manchester United instead.

And if I have to pick somebody who never played for England, then Dennis Bergkamp has to be up there. Just a **** wizard with the ball, his close control was as good as anything I have ever seen. The goals vs Leicester, Newcastle and Argentina have been seen a million times by everybody and most of us still cant figure out how he did it. Seemed to get better with age, he was certainly one of those players who at 35 years old was good rather than good for his age and aside for his goalscoring, lord knows how many assists he provided (Wikipedia lists some stats, but most recorded assists tend to be credited to the man who played the final pass before a goal when we all know it doesnt always work like that) and the man was just a joy to watch.

I should say someone who is still playing today too. Someone who has no Villa or England connections and isnt Leo Messi. Ill sleep on it I think.

Stefan Kohn and Martyn Chalk for being the most devastating budget strike partnership in Sensible World of Soccer on the Amiga. They won Villa a lot of trophies that pair! :D

Edit: Just found this haha, I sure know how to pick a hero. :shock:

http://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/109774/ex-reds-ace-chalk-in-race-slur-attack.aspx

Didn't mention Messi because I think he's a huge prick like the rest of the Barca squad with their arrogance and inflated sense of entitlement.

Err what? Messi, arrogance? Really?

He is clearly the best player in the world yet for his 'importance' on the world stage and as a person, he is extremely humble, quiet and private. Everyone within the game who knows him speaks good of him as a person and doesn't have a bad word to say about him. He plays football like a little kid, how it should be played and enjoyed, how can you not enjoy that?

even then, how can you say he has arrogance is beyond me. Shocking comment.

Err what? Messi, arrogance? Really?

He is clearly the best player in the world yet for his 'importance' on the world stage and as a person, he is extremely humble, quiet and private. Everyone within the game who knows him speaks good of him as a person and doesn't have a bad word to say about him. He plays football like a little kid, how it should be played and enjoyed, how can you not enjoy that?

even then, how can you say he has arrogance is beyond me. Shocking comment.

Not disputing his talent obviously - but I detest the general conduct of the entire Barca team. Being the best team in the world doesn't give you a God-given right to every player on the globe. The Fabregas incident comes to mind.

Barcelona arent the first team to think like that, and they wont be the last. Look at Chelsea's cock blocking of Arsenal five years ago for example, they signed every player Arsenal were in for and a lot of Arsenal fans think it was done as much to weaken Arsenal as strengthen Chelsea.

I do have to say that Fabregas is a terrible example of "stealing" a player too. Yeah, some things could have been handled better, the shirt incident especially but when you look at the bigger picture it makes a lot more sense. Firstly Cesc is from Catalonia, he was born half an hour outside of Barcelona and he grew up in Barcelona. He learned to play football with Barcelona FC, and came through the Barcelona youth academy in the same team as Leo Messi and Gerard Pique. Arsenal took him to London because he could sign professional forms here at a younger age than he could in Spain. I think it is well documented that the loan and subsequent free transfer of Giovanni Van Bronckhorst from Arsenal to Barcelona was a sweetener so that Barcelona would take no action over the poaching of Fabregas.

Cesc obviously went back to Barcelona all the time, his family still lived there when he was in London and his friends would have largely been Barcelona players, so of course he would have spoke about moving back home one day. Yes, there was a loyalty to Arsenal when they were his employer and on the whole he acted professionally, but a move back to Barcelona was always going to happen. Cesc was aways going to go home.

I do have to say that Fabregas is a terrible example of "stealing" a player too. Yeah, some things could have been handled better, the shirt incident especially but when you look at the bigger picture it makes a lot more sense. Firstly Cesc is from Catalonia, he was born half an hour outside of Barcelona and he grew up in Barcelona. He learned to play football with Barcelona FC, and came through the Barcelona youth academy in the same team as Leo Messi and Gerard Pique. Arsenal took him to London because he could sign professional forms here at a younger age than he could in Spain. I think it is well documented that the loan and subsequent free transfer of Giovanni Van Bronckhorst from Arsenal to Barcelona was a sweetener so that Barcelona would take no action over the poaching of Fabregas.

Cesc obviously went back to Barcelona all the time, his family still lived there when he was in London and his friends would have largely been Barcelona players, so of course he would have spoke about moving back home one day. Yes, there was a loyalty to Arsenal when they were his employer and on the whole he acted professionally, but a move back to Barcelona was always going to happen. Cesc was aways going to go home.

Yes, but the blatant tapping up was sickening.

There will always be "cock-blocking" and signings made due to dubious reasons, but IMHO no club comes close to Barca when it comes to asserting that they have a spiritual right to be at the top of the game.

I really don't think he was tapped up, he made it apparent for years that he wanted to return to Barcelona. Who wouldn't??

At least he wasn't found in a bar with a tall geordie holding a scarf of that club. Now that's a rocket polisher :)

Not disputing his talent obviously - but I detest the general conduct of the entire Barca team. Being the best team in the world doesn't give you a God-given right to every player on the globe. The Fabregas incident comes to mind.

spot on. disgusting club. even now after getting dodgy decisions their way for years Guardiola saying refs want Real to win the league.

A club were racism, cheating is tolerated is not great for the sport. also if a team defends against them and dont let them play their way they are called anti-football like they labelled Rangers as they had cheek to get a draw of them

spot on. disgusting club. even now after getting dodgy decisions their way for years Guardiola saying refs want Real to win the league.

A club were racism, cheating is tolerated is not great for the sport. also if a team defends against them and dont let them play their way they are called anti-football like they labelled Rangers as they had cheek to get a draw of them

A club where racism tolerated, what makes you say this, do you have evidence to back this up?

He is clearly the best player in the world yet for his 'importance' on the world stage and as a person, he is extremely humble, quiet and private. Everyone within the game who knows him speaks good of him as a person and doesn't have a bad word to say about him.

dont agree Messi is a dirty player and gets away with thinkgs especially in El Clasico, this video for example shows his petulance. WHy did he kick the ball at the fans?

A club where racism tolerated, what makes you say this, do you have evidence to back this up?

Busquets racially abused Marcelo in Super Cup in August no action was taken and then their is the Kanoute/Fabregas incident a few months ago when Kanoute claims he was called a terrorist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj0aoKQp11M

Wrong. Kanoute actually actually came out in an interview and confirmed nothing racial was said by Fabregas. I remember that incident.

Â