London 2012 Olympic Games

maqroll

Bit like the Ryder Cup then but would it be amateurs or professionals or a blend ?

I'd like it to be pros but I'm one who thinks that it only happens every 4 years and that star players would be desperate to win and then I watch the tennis...

Just qualifying for the team would be nuts, the competition for the gb place would be brilliant

Personally speaking I think that a sport should only be included in the Olympics if winning the gold is the absolute pinnacle of that sport, anything less than that devalues the Olympic's and the medals that true Olympians win. There are I guess some exceptions like amature boxers but generally I think it holds true.

In sports like Swimming, archery, judo, gymnastics or athletics to win Olympic gold is the pinnacle of the sport it is the one thing those competitors have trained and worked for all their lives or careers.

Yet sports like football, golf and tennis continue to be included into the Olympics, sports in which an Olympic gold isn't the ultimate prize and in which those who compete do so as long as it doesn't get in the way of their day jobs. For me these aren't Olympic sports and they have no place in the Olympics, their inclusion is more to do with the commercial corporate greed of the modern games than it is the Olympic ideals.

Every 4 years the Olympics grows to include something new and every time it does it cheapens the gold medals of those who give their lives to trying to win them.

The Olympics remains the greatest sporting show on earth, I just wish they would stop trying to expand it to cover every sport because it just isn't the right thing to do.

I agree, but disagree with the approach that players take with the olympics

Again tennis, I dont see why they don't take it seriously, the 4 majors are every year the olympics is once every 4 years, you'd like to think it's not money but can't help but think it

Rugby sevens and matchplay golf might be a bit different

I think it is genius to have the athletics in the 2nd week, because of the build up and anticipation. Lets be honest, the athletics, and possibly the cycling in the velodrome is all most people are interested in.

Womens' cycling road race is gripping viewing. We've been getting a lot of build up here in Leeds for weeks about Lizzie Armistead, and she's in there with a shout.

Â