Scottish Independence

maqroll

Truth be told Scotland has contributed more to Britain and probably the world, then any other part of the union or a country of such a size.[\quote]

Meh even their best ever group didn't contain one Scotsman ...

Are you mad? Clare Grogan was most definitely Scottish (and still is :mrgreen: )

Truth be told Scotland has contributed more to Britain and probably the world, then any other part of the union or a country of such a size.
Apart from what England's contributed, perhaps? - but that would be natural, as England is 10 times the size.

Anyway, I like Scotland and Scots. I've had many Scottish friends and so on. They're brilliant. From the North to the South of Scotland, it's a fantastic Country.

Take the politicians out of it all, and we'd be fine.

Blue Nile more like :P

Here's another positive for independence. Doesn't Pull McCarthorse own a third of Scotland (Ian Anderson of the Tull own's another third iirc), surely as an independent country they could enable the repossession of the Sassenach Lands by act of Parliament and just turf the Beatle substantially reducing his fortune :mrgreen:

2) keep the quid, oooh very independent, can't print your own quids though

They already do print their own quids, three different sets of their own quids, Bos, RBS and Clydesdale

Interersting that the SNP want 16 and 17 year olds included in the vote. I suspect that's because they've identified them as being more idealistic and less pragmatic or world wise.

Personally I think all 16-17 years should get the vote UK wide but thats a different topic altogether

I don't think they can make a truly informed decision to be honest. I think the majority of people I know didn't look at politics and policy in depth until they were at University or post A-Levels and out in the work environment.

Perhaps 16-17 years olds should vote on issues such as education and health related policy but I doubt very much they understand the pros and cons of HS2 without having a rather simplistic breakdown of what can be at times complex issues.

I would say that if you want 16-17 year olds the vote then politics and study of related topics needs to be a compulsory subject at GCSE like science and maths. Because without it I don't see 16 years olds reading political section of the BBC website or reading or even buying a paper to read about it.

Manchester produced over double the decent music since 1990 than the entire scottish contingent ever produced in it's lifetime. If you are talking post 80s then Manchester obliterates the majority of the UK. Only London can hold it's weight against that.

Haggis is pretty awesome.

Whiskey not so much for me but understand people love it.

Irn Bru is a shit Lucozade (original lucozade)

Edinburgh New Year is pretty special

Gazza' goal against them in euro '96

some pretty nice castles

i'm running out here.

2) keep the quid, oooh very independent, can't print your own quids though

They already do print their own quids, three different sets of their own quids, Bos, RBS and Clydesdale

Interersting that the SNP want 16 and 17 year olds included in the vote. I suspect that's because they've identified them as being more idealistic and less pragmatic or world wise.

Personally I think all 16-17 years should get the vote UK wide but thats a different topic altogether

I don't think they can make a truly informed decision to be honest. I think the majority of people I know didn't look at politics and policy in depth until they were at University or post A-Levels and out in the work environment.

Perhaps 16-17 years olds should vote on issues such as education and health related policy but I doubt very much they understand the pros and cons of HS2 without having a rather simplistic breakdown of what can be at times complex issues.

I would say that if you want 16-17 year olds the vote then politics and study of related topics needs to be a compulsory subject at GCSE like science and maths. Because without it I don't see 16 years olds reading political section of the BBC website or reading or even buying a paper to read about it.

OT...but...

They can leave school; marry; have children; leave home; pay taxes; work full time; and join the armed forces and kill people; but vote? - oh no, far too much responsibility for their immature minds.

Yep, but you cant go into combat at that age.

I dont think you should be able to vote at 16. I think the potential for political parties to attempt to use compulsory education as a marketing tool for them to get votes is too big a risk.

you can only marry before 18 with parents consent can you not? you don't get adult minimum wage. You can join the army at 16? really?

Yes but like I said, thats OT, start a new topic if you want to discuss that, Ta

you can only marry before 18 with parents consent can you not? you don't get adult minimum wage. You can join the army at 16? really?

Yes but like I said, thats OT, start a new topic if you want to discuss that, Ta

yeah I just had to point out nearly every point was incorrect.

back on topic. I think there are such massive issues around the devolving of powers and moving of infastructure it would cost too much.

What happens to the national grid? does it stay shared or split up?

If it is split then perhaps we should focus on investing in renewable energy just in England?

I presume we share the cost in moving all our defence arms into English borders or sell them to the scots?

I dont think it has to be the capital either. I would imagine it is common in America with New York, L.A. and Chicago being targets, and with Sydney in Australia. I think it is entirely the same sentiment as why some people in Scotland dont like England. I guess it is just part of human nature.

Hell it's true in Western Massachusetts with regard to Boston.

There's a not insignificant secession movement in these parts, too.

Â