Habib Beye (left AVFC by Mutual Consent)

VillaRoy

£48k/week is the highest figure I have seen in this thread. Can anyone confirm how much he was on at Villa?

He was on £48k

He was a funny signing, he was Newcastles player of the year and a regular in the Senegal team. MON bought him, gave him a big contract and then decided to play NRC at right back instead.

I would rather see Beye play than Alan Hutton if I'm honest :lol:

£2m a year in wages saved on a player that was miles away from being our first choice RB.

Though it was a nice sentiment from Hutton to work on reducing that distance for him these past few months.

£2m a year in wages saved on a player that was miles away from being our first choice RB. Enough said really.

Utterly Brainless signing by MON (as was about 10 others) We are Aston Villa not Man City and we could never not afford to waste millions on wages to non first teamers all earning over 35k a week...idotic policy by our manager when he had the young players ready to give a go as well. He should of signined top players and payed them 60-70k rather than 2 average players who earned 30-45k

I admire Habib, he came here and was given £48k per week. Was never picked but always turned up for training and never complained once about anything. Just got on with his job

A model professional for me. :lol:

he was Newcastles player of the year and a regular in the Senegal team.

Utterly Brainless signing by MON

two sides to every story!

He turned out to be a poor signing but he came with what looked like a decent pedigree. That sort of thing does happen in the real world, so it's probably worth just getting over it.

I have never heard any real explanation of how it all went wrong.

he was Newcastles player of the year and a regular in the Senegal team.

Utterly Brainless signing by MON

two sides to every story!

He turned out to be a poor signing but he came with what looked like a decent pedigree. That sort of thing does happen in the real world, so it's probably worth just getting over it.

I have never heard any real explanation of how it all went wrong.

It doesn't matter if he ended up being our best player, he was given over 40k in his early 30's which is simply undefendable. Especially when there were already two players who could play in his position.

I dont think anyone can argue that it was not a poor decision to sign him and then not play him, so I wont bother either.

It was a poor decision by MON. But he wasn't totally perfect and didn't make 100% right decisions as some seem to want

He was only right about 95% of the time ;-)

I think its better to sign younger players who you will always be able to sell if it does not work out. MON was wrong because players like Beye and Heskey have no resale value whatsoever because they are too old. Spurs are a prime example of using this strategy and it has given them a lot of flexibility.

I think its better to sign younger players who you will always be able to sell if it does not work out. Spurs are a prime example of using this strategy and it has given them a lot of flexibility.

Brad Friedel? Louis Saha? Ryan Nelsen? :D

True but they wont be paying them 40k a week or even 60k a week on three year deals like he who shall not be named. It was never sensible.

£2m a year in wages saved on a player that was miles away from being our first choice RB. Enough said really.

Utterly Brainless signing by MON (as was about 10 others) We are Aston Villa not Man City and we could never not afford to waste millions on wages to non first teamers all earning over 35k a week...idotic policy by our manager when he had the young players ready to give a go as well. He should of signined top players and payed them 60-70k rather than 2 average players who earned 30-45k

I totally recognise that Beye was an extremely poor signing, not sure how anyone would think otherwise.

However, were you aware of the strategy that Oneill and Lerner were working on at the time? The strategy with regards to league placings required and how this impacted upon transfer dealings and the type of player we need to help us achieve that? No? Neither am I but I would rather suspect , given the way it has come to a sudden end and proved to be unsustainable for the owner, that the strategy was to get to the top four as quickly as possible

To do that you cant really wait for a whole swathe of younger players, or foreign players to settle all at once and quickly. You largely need to buy those "with premiership " experience, those established players. They tend to cost a little more, and especially in wages to persuade them to join a mid table club as we were perceived at the time and still are. You need players who will settle into the top league quickly

In those circumstances the mistakes will be more costly because the layout is higher and therefore the mistakes are on the radar all the time, certainly more so than Carlos Kickaball for 1M, or Johnny Youthplayer for 2M

Besides which given the fact that MON had to spend his time in financial strategy and budget setting meetings and then had to monitor the spend to budget, have a full grasp of the income projections and spend ratios I am absolutley gobsmacked that he had enough time on his hands to then manage a team to the placings we had.

He truly is a miracle worker

Â