Renaming Villa Park?

KSV

Would you want VP renamed for sponsorship money ?  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want VP renamed for sponsorship money ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Surely Ellis could have got someone to sponsor Villa Park. Would that have been received so warmly?

It seemed that a few days ago everyone was creaming themselves precisely because he was a billionnaire. Again, as I said before i think he will spend money, not Abramovich style but more than we could have dreamed of in recent years. I just can't understand why you'd want to start making excuses for him not spending his money on Villa. If Cleveland continue to be his main priority then maybe he's not the right man. I'm not sure that's true, but it shows how far esteem in Villa has slipped if you are prepared to accept that.

Given the current sponsorship environment though, the people who are most likely to 'trump' up the cash are the Internet gambling firms. So you could end up with 888.com stadium. Punchy!

About which the NFL is almost certain to have some words with Randy about. Agreements signed under the Ellis tenure (32Red, bookmaker links on the official site, etc.) will probably be allowed to play out, with Randy being unable to renew them.

The NFL prohibits any advertising for gambling on their TV broadcasts... including advertising for tourist destinations that feature gambling (i.e. Vegas). The NFL even prohibits the NBC network from promoting Las Vegas during game broadcasts.

Let's face it, until we really start winning things, nobody is going to pay us any serious money. There's no way it will work the other way round, i.e. somebody gives us enough money for the name for us to build a team of world beaters with.

Lets face it, theres no way Ellis is selling the club

Lets face it there no way Martin O'Neill will become our manager

Lets face it theres no way Aston Villa will be owned by a Billionaire

Just a few things that people have said will not happen in the not to distant past, It might just happen.

Let's face it, Villa won't finish top 3 in MON's first year...

(I'll keep trotting them out, you make 'em happen :))

I wouldn't want to sit in the Poundsavers arenadome, knowing that the sponsorship had paid for some insect spray a cup of coffee and a watering can, but I'd accept sitting in at IMG Villa Park knowing that the (say) 10 million quid per year had been spent by Martin O'Neill on players to entertain me with winning football.

It's all down to the details

we'll always play at the same ground, sitting in either the north stand, holte end, trinity road or the witton lane stand. The seats will be claret and blue, there will be a montage to our euro 82 winners and recognition of our successful and rpoud past, and quality players on the football pitch

but call it something other than villa park and it's an outrage?

I wouldn't want to sit in the Poundsavers arenadome, knowing that the sponsorship had paid for some insect spray a cup of coffee and a watering can, but I'd accept sitting in at IMG Villa Park knowing that the (say) 10 million quid per year had been spent by Martin O'Neill on players to entertain me with winning football.

It's all down to the details

Spot on. No point selling the name now, how much are we going to get for it. We shouldn't consider selling the name until it is worth top dollar. I like 'Villa Park' - as a kid I thought it was great no one else played at a ground with their own name in it, still do I suppose. So allowing someone to brand the stadium as per blandy's example, great. But not rename it after an airline, too much class for that :)

Ellis could never have got naming rights to the ground sold for real money because we were seen as club that was going no where, if anywhere backwards, and what company would want to put their name to that. Also the reason that we have a shit shirt sponson worth 2p a week.

I think Lerner will first need to spend some big money before large companies take us seriously, like all those haters who keep saying ''you cant do anything 'til January!' dont the tossers realise we have been waiting long enough and cant wait for the late Christmas presents that Randy will bring us!

The way i see it if we can get a large sum of money for a sponsor to put their name before Villa Park then im cool with that. For Example if we had MBNA as our stadium and shirt sponsonrs then most likely the ground would be known as, The MBNA Villa Park. For me this wouldnt be a problem as it would still be known by the fans as Villa Park but more importantly it will still be referred to as JUST Villa Park by the media also IMO. Combine that with a hefty amount of sponsorship money and a shirt sponsorship also then i think its a win win situation.

Totally agree, except so what if the media called it MBNA Villa Park.

Good sponsorship will allow us to have pride in our club once more.

I would be happy to asscoiate myself / my team with a company who was funding the club (ethicaly).

We have all dreamed of a future with investment and success, don't be afriad of change.

MBNAVP 8)

I like the idea of "Fortress Villa Park" very much. :D But I still voted no. A part of Villas soul is in the VP IMO. But then again, £100m is a lot of money.

Here's a question: What would you rather take, £100m for renaming it completely, Coca-Coal Stadium, or say £50-75m for keeping Villa Park in the name, MBNA Villa Park?

I like the idea of "Fortress Villa Park" very much. :D But I still voted no. A part of Villas soul is in the VP IMO. But then again, £100m is a lot of money.

Here's a question: What would you rather take, £100m for renaming it completely, Coca-Coal Stadium, or say £50-75m for keeping Villa Park in the name, MBNA Villa Park?

or, to phrase this another way, would you rather watch Villa in the Champions league at the Coca Cola Stadium, or mid table premiership at villa park.

or, to phrase this another way, would you rather watch Villa in the Champions league at the Coca Cola Stadium, or mid table premiership at villa park.

That's another good point. This isn't easy. At least not for me. But of course, CL is very tempting but there's no guarantee of CL, but still, you got a point.

I was doing a bit of research and spurs are getting £8.5m per season for a shirt sponsor. If they can get that just for the shirt, I would want atleast £10m+ per season for the shirt stadium combination. That sort of money can go a long way, especially when we compare it to the peanuts we are getting right now.

If Villa Park could be incorporated within a new name, then I'd be in favour, as the fans will still only call it VP. But it's a fair point that if waiting until our profile is higher and worth more money, it might be better to wait a season or so, unless of course, Randy's connections would bring in a big sponsorship deal earlier than we think is possible.