Renaming Villa Park?

KSV

Would you want VP renamed for sponsorship money ?  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want VP renamed for sponsorship money ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Over here in Adelaide, Australia our biggest Aussie rules football stadium was traditionally known as Football Park, but was renamed a few years ago AAMI stadium after and insurance company. We all thought at the time we would always call it Footy Park, but pretty quickly people began to refer to it as AAMI stadium, and this is by far the more common name for it at the moment.

That said, no one ever wonders what you are talking about when you refer to it as AAMI stadium.

People were apprehensive at the name change, but the upgrade in facilities due to the revenue brought in was well worth it.

Definately rename VP get a big company to sponsor us give VP a new official name but fans and everyone connected to the club would still call it Villa park!

That's what happened with the Denver Broncos in the NFL... they built a new stadium next door to their old one (Mile High Stadium), and sold the naming rights so it became "Invesco Field at Mile High". The fans still call it "Mile High Stadium".

I think something a la the way the Rose Bowl (game) has handled naming rights might work: "$SPONSOR Villa Park".

There 's one question you need to ask yourself beforehand: Are you attached to 'Villa Park' in the way Red Sox fans are attached to 'Fenway Park' or Packers fans are attached to 'Lambeau Field'? If the answer is yes, stop right there. Renaming isn't worth it to you. A new name just wouldn't sound right.

That said, I have no such attachment as I haven't been here long. My primary worry, besides the money, is if the name's going to sound ugly. Some companies make for more attractive stadium names than others:

GOOD: Great American Ball Park (Cincinnati Reds), Miller Park (Milwaukee Brewers).

OKAY: Emirates Stadium (Arsenal), Coors Field (Colorado Rockies).

BAD: Tropicana Field (Tampa Bay Devil Rays), Comerica Park (Detroit Tigers).

MAKE THE HURTING STOP: Qualcomm Stadium (San Diego Chargers), M&T Bank Stadium (Baltimore Ravens).

And take it from us Americans, who do this all the time: eventually, you WILL lapse from calling it Villa Park, and you WILL start calling it whatever it gets named. You won't be able to help it. (If the corporate name is in the front. If it's in the back, such as 'Villa Park Presented by (blank), you'll stop caring at the word 'Presented'.)

And take it from us Americans, who do this all the time: eventually, you WILL lapse from calling it Villa Park, and you WILL start calling it whatever it gets named. You won't be able to help it.

Trust us when we Brits say - WE BLOODY WELL WON'T

See theres an intrinsic difference over her - we tend to call a ground by its corporate name when its had no other name before hand. When an older stadium is renamed, no-one ever calls it by that name, they just call it the original name

We're like that us Brits, sticklers for tradition and all that and bloody minded about it too

I still call what is now known as a Snickers Bar a Marathon, Starburst are still Opal Fruits etc etc

I couldn't give a flying **** to be honest. Villa Park is Villa Park as far as I'm concerned and if someone wants to pay a big slab of cash to call it something else on the telly then that's ok with me.

But Cleveland Browns still play at Cleveland Browns Stadium - meaning Randy Lerner, the franchise owner and soon to be Chairman of Aston Villa, is not a man who stamps on history.

As an aside, it was Al Lerner, Randy's father who was the Browns' owner when they chose not to sell naming rights to the stadium. Instead, each of the four gates is sponsored by a different company, and importantly, they are all LOCAL companies. IIRC, it's the first time such an approach was taken.

He's seen new approaches to getting sponsor money without stomping on tradition, so I think if enough people object to renaming Villa Park, he'll find other ways to bring in money for the team.

i thought most stadiums with sponsors names were names because the sponsor paid for the majority of the stadium and the stadiums were in gerneral new builds?

i would not like it for villa park to be completely renamed, infact i would rather it left as villa park.

maybe changing the way we have sponsors in the ground would do for starters, instead of being sponsored by big johns chippy on a couple banners , why not have corperate sponsors in the ground and the local business in the match day programmes?

and changing the old crap boards for electronic things all the way around the ground

and maybe renaming the ellis stand and the north stand to one sponsor, then if it is a positive responce from the fans, get ground sponsorship and get the 2 stands renamed on a public vote on what we want the names to be.

thought most stadiums with sponsors names were names because the sponsor paid for the majority of the stadium and the stadiums were in gerneral new builds?

Hmmm. Couldn't even guess at the first bit but the second point there is rather an interesting one. In the few seconds since I read it I've not been able to think of an existing stadium which has been properly renamed.

thought most stadiums with sponsors names were names because the sponsor paid for the majority of the stadium and the stadiums were in gerneral new builds?

Hmmm. Couldn't even guess at the first bit but the second point there is rather an interesting one. In the few seconds since I read it I've not been able to think of an existing stadium which has been properly renamed.

Yorks ground changed from Bootham Cresent to the KitKat Crescent :mrgreen:

As I said earlier the McAlpine Stadium is called something completely different and forgettable now - (galpham Stadium)

Wycome Wanders Adams Park is now called the Causeway stadium (some software firm)

Doncaster Rovers Bell Vue is now called the Earth Stadium (finance Company)

Bournemouth - Fitness First Stadium (that ones a bit dangerous :mrgreen: )

None of these were named these names when built