Renaming Villa Park?

KSV

Would you want VP renamed for sponsorship money ?  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want VP renamed for sponsorship money ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Just as a side point there is a small town just outside of Chicago called Villa Park - I got a few photo's

Ok back on topic and sorry for that

yeah and some stupid kids team still keeps getting articles in News Now now and again as a result of that :evil:

yeah and some stupid kids team still keeps getting articles in News Now now and again as a result of that :evil:

:lol: You bitter twisted man :crylaugh: Let them have their fun.

If we can get the money we need to build the playing side then I think we must. I would trust Randy to make the right decision. At least we can rest assured it will not be renamed Ellis Park and if it had been there would have been no money in it for the club anyway. :winkold:

My own personal opinion, and it may have already been reflected at some point in the 11 pages of this 13 page thread that i cant be arsed to read is that while i dont particularly want VP to be renamed, i wouldnt object if it was.

Other sponsored grounds get called by their original names. The most talked about sporting ground of the week, The Oval in London is actually called the Brit Oval due to a sponsorship deal with an insurance company. Who cares? Who even knows?

And its not just old grounds with names that go back years that get called by their non sponsored names. How many people say that Southampton play at the Friends Provident St Marys Stadium? Shit, West Ham United's stadium (The Boleyn Ground) is more commonly known by the name of the nearest London Undergound Station (Upton Park). So whats in a name? Hopefully some of the easiest money you will ever make.

We cant chastise Ellis for not going with modern times if we dont embrace the 21st century ourselves.

Renaming the stadium would be like selling the soul of the club IMO

The soul of the club got demolished with the trinity imo

I think this is a very valid point

I havent felt the same connection with Villa park since the trinity vandal did his work. Its a nice stadium, but it doesnt feel like Villa park used to, at all. Its a compltely different stadium without the old trinity in feel, in character. The soul and the history attached to the old Villa park isnt there any more. The trinity was the icon of Villa Park, when you thought Villa park you thought of that magnificent facade, you thought of that majestic stairway, you thought of the towering holte terrace.

I am just about comfortable with the new stand now, but there isnt any way you can invest it with what the old one had.

Look, I'm all for us being self suficiant and I don't want us to bleed Mr Lerner dry Abramovich style which would leave us with mountains of debt should he ever decide he's had enough.

But there ARE other ways of making extraordinary amounts of money rather than selling off a little piece of our history for a quick buck, no matter how small that piece is.

We're Aston Villa and we play at Villa Park.

• Like 1

Correct we are and always will be. WOuld it bother you too much if Sky and the likes refer to us as Aston Villa playing at the *insert crap corporate name here* arena / stadium / whatever?

Wouldnt bother me that much tbh, it'll always be Villa Park to the rest of us

Correct we are and always will be. WOuld it bother you too much if Sky and the likes refer to us as Aston Villa playing at the *insert crap corporate name here* arena / stadium / whatever?

Honestly? Yes, it would bother me because in my mind it's unnecessary.

Honestly? Yes, it would bother me because in my mind it's unnecessary.

And as a season ticket holder Lee, when exactly would it get on your nerves?

The only time they tend to mention this corporate name stuff is during a live match

It's DDID, not Lee. Dave if you must.....

To reiterate my point, I don't like the idea because I think it unnecessary. As a season ticket holder.

Could have swore it was Lee who replied, must have a strong drink to correct my eyesight :mrgreen:

It's DDID, not Lee. Dave if you must.....

To reiterate my point, I don't like the idea because I think it unnecessary. As a season ticket holder.

Could have swore it was Lee who replied, must have a strong drink to correct my eyesight :mrgreen:

Infamy, Infamy - they've all got it in for me!!!

Yeah i dont like the idea of thewhole ground been renamed.

But you can happily sell the name of Dougs stand or the North End.

:wink:

To be honest i wanna keep it Villa Park, but the money is something else i want for the club, but this is the pride of Villa Park, that i love to hear when it's mentioned,

and to sell it into the Gillette stadium or Nike Park, is just wrong, well it's something i guess you can get used to,

any way as Stevenjos said, we can just rename Doug's stand? :lol:...