Renaming Villa Park?

KSV

Would you want VP renamed for sponsorship money ?  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want VP renamed for sponsorship money ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Not too bothered if the name changes.  I still call assistant referees, linesmen.  I still call referees rocket polishers and I will always call Villa Park Villa Park.  I just hope we don't do anything stupid like Man City did and end up calling it the Birmingham City stadium or anything.

Not too bothered if the name changes.  I still call assistant referees, linesmen.  I still call referees rocket polishers and I will always call Villa Park Villa Park.  I just hope we don't do anything stupid like Man City did and end up calling it the Birmingham City stadium or anything.

Man City didn't name it that, the Manchester City Council did for the Commonwealth games.

And I think even Lerner's biggest detractors could admit he's not stupid enough to name our stadium after a rival  :)

• Like 1

Yes, all this talk about well I will just keep on calling it Villa Park- how many people still call the premier league division one? Over time the name Villa Park will mean nothing if we take the money and rename it. Once sky and the media call it whatever it is sponsored by, the name will gradually become forgotten. How much money does a football club need? Enough is enough.

A lot of people still call it the Premiership and it's not been that since 2007. Division One was changed to be the name of the league below, so of course people stopped using that.

I think we all have a 'poor person complex'. We snub off 20-30 million because it's not worth it. I don't know if some of you realise, but even for people like Lerner this is a big sum of money. Just because owners are willing to pay that kind of money for a single player doesnt mean it's 'little money'. It is s*it loads of money. This money is used to pay wages, run clubs, improve academies, and lots of other things I, as well as you, have no idea about as the truth is we know next to nothing about how a football club is run.

Lerner would not just walk away from this kind of money. And that's not because he is tight on money (which I admit and it may hit him in the long run) but because he is a businessman.

20 million over 10 years, 2 million per year, is a drop in the ocean for a Premiership club. And 2 million gets you a Bennet each year. We will not rip up the league with that. And do not forget, players come and go, once our stadium name has gone, it will not be coming back. 

I don't think it's as simple as that. It's not 'the clubs' money. Its HIS money. And businessman can do wonders with just 2 million a year. It might be more. It might be 5 a year. Anyway, my point is he will not disregard this sum as a drop in the ocean

I wouldn't care, people (Including myself) will still call it Villa park, like I still call Newcastles ground St James Park (Not even sure what its name is now?).

Even Cheltenham Town have renamed their ground from Whaddon Road to the Abbey Business Stadium...... everyone still calls it Whaddon Road.

Do people call still call the Aviva Stadium Lansdowne Road? Exactly. 

No, because it's a different stadium. Lansdowne Road was knocked down and a new stadium built on top of the same site. It's known as the Aviva Stadium as it has no other name, and has never had any other name, in the same way the Emirates is known as the Emirates instead of anything else.

We are in a very different situation to other clubs though as our USP is our history. With the possible expectation Anfield and Wembley it arguably the most famous stadium in England. Whenever we are on TV references are made to "this famous old stadium". Most of the naming rights deals in recent years have been for new stadiums, or ones moved into within the last 20 years or so. 

There just wouldn't be the value in it for us. As an example, I watch Spanish football and attracted to the older, more traditional clubs. I'm sure there's plenty who have a liking for Villa overseas for the same reason. 

• Like 1