Renaming Villa Park?

KSV

Would you want VP renamed for sponsorship money ?  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want VP renamed for sponsorship money ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Instead of selling the rights to one company for the whole stadium, he sold the rights to name each of the 4 gates which are proudly branded for all to see.

That sounds much better. Sell as many 'pieces' of the ground as you like Mr Lerner, just not the name. In some 40 years when I talk to my grandkids about the wonders of Villa Park I don't want them to ask 'where's that'.

Out of interest if someone said we're going to rename Villa Park to Fortress Villa Park for 10 years and heres

Gravesen

Saviola

Malbranque

Milner

Bale

Klose and

Hargreaves

Would that make any difference.

But we can have those players anyway (maybe not those specific players). There are hundreds of ways for a club of our size to make money without selling off our history. Granted they may take a little longer to come to fruition, but I'm in for the long haul.

Instead of selling the rights to one company for the whole stadium, he sold the rights to name each of the 4 gates which are proudly branded for all to see.

That sounds much better. Sell as many 'pieces' of the ground as you like Mr Lerner, just not the name. In some 40 years when I talk to my grandkids about the wonders of Villa Park I don't want them to ask 'where's that'.

Out of interest if someone said we're going to rename Villa Park to Fortress Villa Park for 10 years and heres

Gravesen

Saviola

Malbranque

Milner

Bale

Klose and

Hargreaves

Would that make any difference.

But we can have those players anyway (maybe not those specific players). There are hundreds of ways for a club of our size to make money without selling off our history. Granted they may take a little longer to come to fruition, but I'm in for the long haul.

DDID - I don't think it means selling our history.

The naming of the ground doesn't have to be forever - a 10 year deal that allows us to bridge the gap between us and the top 4 would satisfy a need that currently exists.

Having had to live with the 'Doug Ellis stand' for the last x amount of years, and recieve nothing for it in terms of revenue, I can live with the idea of having someone pay a fat sum of money to have their name on the stands.

Imagine pulling off the masterstroke that see's the D.E stand rebranded almost insantly, for a rather large investment.

Would anyone complain about that?

I answered NO.

For me it would be a Trinity Road Stand all over again. It would take away a part of our soul IMO. We should take pride in our history and tradition. And our name/stadium are certainly one of them.

I am not THAT desperate for $$$.

I wouldn't mind too much if Randy got the marketing department of Miller to come up with something.

Miller Villa Park

Miller at the Villa

As long as the beer was free before the game and at half time, I think we'd all be happy!!!

"What's in a name..a rose by any other name would smell as sweet"....."not if it was called a crapweasel" - Simpsons. lol.

Seriously though. I voted Yes, because sentimentality can't block progress. Recognising history is important. Randy knows that and hence the talk about a proper museum, statue, star, etc. Scrap the Doug ellis stand and rename the whole stadium and get a regular source of income. I'd hope for more than $5m a year.

It will always be Villa Park to fans anyway, we all still call the Witton the Witton dont we. I wouldnt give a f@#k what i was called for 100m in readies.

Exactly, last year when I was booking tickets for a mate, even the woman on the phone called it the witton lane stand!

For me it would be a Trinity Road Stand all over again

Were you happy missing half the game becasue of the trinity road pillars?? I have a feeling that if Randy was here then, he probably would have tried to incorporate the mosaic and stuff somewhere though. It isn't black and white, there are ways to move forward with respect for histroy. From what i've heard RL knows this.

For me it would be a Trinity Road Stand all over again

Were you happy missing half the game becasue of the trinity road pillars?? I have a feeling that if Randy was here then, he probably would have tried to incorporate the mosaic and stuff somewhere though. It isn't black and white, there are ways to move forward with respect for histroy. From what i've heard RL knows this.

I agree that it needed some work, at the same time they could certainly have done it with a bit more respect. Same goes with how long we are supposed to stretch for big sponsorship deals.

I support the Lerner takeover a 100%, and I want us to move forward, but I just don't want us to rip up the roots (or foundation if you will) on the way.

Interesting response.

I voted no, because I very much doubt the amount of money we're talking about would be anything more than a quick fix.

Well, i voted undecided, because it depends on so many things. I wouldnt want to come down on one side or the other until i saw the details. I would be for the right deal, against the wrong deal, so undecided, as there is no deal at the moment.

I'm with mr Bosworth here.

There are so many factors to consider. Would it just be some corporate brand name in addition to the original name e.g. "the MBMA Villa Park", or would it be a complete name change e.g. "the Coca-Cola Arena"? How much money would we get?

I could live with a "MBMA Villa Park" for an annual £10 mill (everyone would just call it Villa Park anyway), whilst I couldn't agree with a "Coca Cola Arena" regardless of the cash it would generate.

It's a complex question. Too complex for a simple yes or no answer.

I wouldn't want it renamed unless it really brought in mega bucks.

Let's face it, until we really start winning things, nobody is going to pay us any serious money. There's no way it will work the other way round, i.e. somebody gives us enough money for the name for us to build a team of world beaters with.

So instead of calling it 32Red Park for 5m, I'd rather stick with things the way they are for now.

When we've raised our profile a bit and someone can offer us ten times as much, maybe it will be time to consider it.

Let's face it, until we really start winning things, nobody is going to pay us any serious money. There's no way it will work the other way round, i.e. somebody gives us enough money for the name for us to build a team of world beaters with.

Lets face it, theres no way Ellis is selling the club

Lets face it there no way Martin O'Neill will become our manager

Lets face it theres no way Aston Villa will be owned by a Billionaire

Just a few things that people have said will not happen in the not to distant past, It might just happen.

The way most of you are talking, it's like we will only be able to invest in players if we sell the naming rights of the ground. I was under the impression that Lerner was a billionnaire and that he would be investing in the team, period.

Yes, we could be much better marketed and need to take advantage of growing world markets, but no, I don't want to see us whoring off the family silver and being turned into a US style franchise. For what it's worth, I don't get the impression that Lerner is necessarily like that, but there seem to be a lot of people quite eager to sell out before even being asked.

The way most of you are talking, it's like we will only be able to invest in players if we sell the naming rights of the ground. I was under the impression that Lerner was a billionnaire and that he would be investing in the team, period.

Yes, we could be much better marketed and need to take advantage of growing world markets, but no, I don't want to see us whoring off the family silver and being turned into a US style franchise. For what it's worth, I don't get the impression that Lerner is necessarily like that, but there seem to be a lot of people quite eager to sell out before even being asked.

That way Lerner wont have to dip into his own pocket for funds! :roll: :winkold:

He isnt going to spend ALL of his money on us, he has to split it over his two teams, yes Cleveland Browns he also owns them too, and they are his main priority so its not a case of not wanting to spend its that he has other commitments, so ny getting someone to sponsor the stadium is a very clever idea!