Renaming Villa Park?

KSV

Would you want VP renamed for sponsorship money ?  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want VP renamed for sponsorship money ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

"Randy lerner,the US billionaire who is close to securing the takeover of Aston Villa is in talks with a number of global companies about a long-term £100m-plus sponsordhip deal for the Premier league football club"

This was in the Telegraph today apparantly. As someone else says £100m for renaming the ground - snap their hands off!

"Randy lerner,the US billionaire who is close to securing the takeover of Aston Villa is in talks with a number of global companies about a long-term £100m-plus sponsordhip deal for the Premier league football club"

This was in the Telegraph today apparantly. As someone else says £100m for renaming the ground - snap their hands off!

if its £100m, and if its not a stupid name like the Fairy Stadium, but something cool like fortress Villa Park, then I'm up for that

if its £100m, and if its not a stupid name like the Fairy Stadium, but something cool like fortress Villa Park, then I'm up for that

I know a Mod wouldn't etc etc.......

Haven't read the rest of the thread, but I'd do it if the price was right. Like everyone has said we'd still call in Villa Park, that's what matters. First I'd sell naming rights to the North and the Witton though.

This has got me thinking. Although I'm totally against re-naming VP, why has Ellis (apart from putting his own name on the Witton Lane so no income there) not explored this kind of sponsorship in the past. Sounds to me like it could have been a nice little earner for the club.

i could just imagine the outcry if doug would have suggested this!!!!

that said we need to be looking forward (like we haven't been for so long) and as has been mentioned already if the money was good enough and went into the team i don't think i would have a problem with it-i would still call it villa park and so would every other villa fan.

though i do agree with some other posters in that the sponsor would have to have a decent sounding name

Just because the place where we play 50% of our league games may have it's name changed does not mean the club will change it's name or that I will call it anything else other than Villa Park.

However, for shed loads of money, ABSAFECKINGLUTELY. I have no problems with it at all. Yes there's the tradition but there's also another tradition of us not investing or competing that I want changing as well.

On saying all that, if the fans dotnt want this then it will not happen. There is a sea change in how our opinions are handled and I think it's going to take some getting used to

We should learn as fans that we do not need to be confrontational anymore to get our voices heard

I don't think it'll happen, but I wouldn't particularly mind..as long as it was something like the MBNA Villa Park rather that the MBNA Arena. I think if it did happen, Lerner seems the type to accommodate the history/fans opinion more than others so predict a compromise if anything.

Plus, if it brought in loads of money, who cares. I'll still call it villa park, so will you so who cares if the Sky introducer says....."It's the title decider and the trophy is ready at the MBNA Arena to crown the champions".....If that's said in the next decade, I won't me moaning about it not being called Villa Park.

On a similar but different topic..why did Man City's stadium go from the City of Manchester Stadium to Eastlands?

On a similar but different topic..why did Man City's stadium go from the City of Manchester Stadium to Eastlands?

According to Wikipedia

Plans to build a stadium in east Manchester were first formulated as part of the city's bid to host the 2000 Summer Olympics, with Manchester City Council commissioning a design for an 80,000 capacity stadium on a brownfield site known colloquially as Eastlands.

US tycoon seeks £100m sponsorship for Villa

By Andrew Murray-Watson

(Filed: 20/08/2006)

Randy Lerner, the US billionaire who is close to securing the takeover of Aston Villa, is in talks with a number of global companies about a long-term £100m-plus sponsorship deal for the Premier League football club.

It is believed that Lerner, who will this week announce that he has secured irrevocable undertakings from nearly 60 per cent of Aston Villa's shareholders, is keen to sign a deal that could include shirt sponsorship and naming rights over different parts of the club's Villa Park stadium.

Lerner, who owns the Cleveland Browns American football team, will give Martin O'Neill, Aston Villa's new manager, "as much cash as he needs" to rebuild the team, according to executives in the US.

The American is believed to be worth well over $1bn and has promised to restore Aston Villa into a force in English football after years in the lower reaches of the Premier League

Clicky

Do you think people will forget Arsenals History all because they have a new sponsered Stadium.

In a way if Villa Park was changed to a Sponsered Ground for around 100million (multi year deal) at least this goes on Players Etc instead like Arsenal having to pay for the Stadium

An outsiders view.

To an extent Reading already have this, as the stadium is named after the Chairman (just be grateful you don't play at Ellis Park already!). It is different though as Madesjki does have Demigod status in this part of the Thames Valley, so no-one really minds.

I think if it was Reading though then I wouldn't mind if the name was OK, and it was a local company - maybe we would end up with Yell stadium (Yellow pages are based in Reading). In your case you could end up with Cadburys Stadium.

I think the price drops a lot if it is called the xxxxx villa park, as opposed to just xxxxx park, as most people would just drop the xxxxx part.

Given the current sponsorship environment though, the people who are most likely to 'trump' up the cash are the Internet gambling firms. So you could end up with 888.com stadium. Punchy!