Renaming Villa Park?

KSV

Would you want VP renamed for sponsorship money ?  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want VP renamed for sponsorship money ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Would it bother you?

Woho didnt forget to link

Lerner to take low-key Villa role

Prospective Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner

Lerner has not ruled out renaming Villa Park

Prospective Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner has vowed not to interfere with Martin O'Neill's managerial role.

"O'Neill is the saviour of this club, not me," he told the News of the World.

"You don't meddle with the top guys or they won't work for you. You can't get the best if you spend all day poking them in the ribs."

American billionaire Lerner has had his £62.6m takeover offer accepted, with shareholders recommended to accept the bid from the Cleveland Browns owner.

He may still face a fight from rival consortia but Lerner is now in pole position to take the reigns at Villa Park.

However, if he does take over, he has not ruled out renaming Villa's ground as part of a lucrative sponsorship deal.

"Naming rights is something we would have to look at because it could make a very positive impact on revenue," he said.

"I hope people are more open-minded about it now.

"If there is an extremely negative reaction, I'll have to take that into account."

I wouldnt mind.. if it brought in money and was called... Red32 Villa Park.. but if its completely changed im not too sure. Arsenal have done it..... if its good for the club? who knows.. What sort of $$ you get for that sponsorship.

Didnt do it at Clevland Browns stadium because the fans didnt want it

Doesnt say he's going to do it at VP either

He says hes going to look at the situation, thats all

Think about all those stadiums that have been renamed, like Huddersfield, can't remember what its called now, I still call it the McAlpine stadium as that was its original name. This branding of stadiums only really has an affect when its the first name a stadium is called (like McAlpine Stadium) when a ground has had a traditional name, rarely do we call it anything other than its original name. On that basis its always going to be Villa Park to us and everyone else

So someones offering us a shit load of cash for team strrengthening and we have to suffer a cosmetic name change for a few years which we'll largely ignore and take the piss out of, so be it. Show me the money would be my answer

Yeah but Arsenal are starting from fresh, it's a new ground that doesn't have years of history associated with it.

As others have said I wouldn't be against the North Stand being renamed if it brought in some extra cash, but I don't want to see the whole ground renamed.

I wouldnt mind.. if it brought in money and was called... Red32 Villa Park.. but if its completely changed im not too sure. Arsenal have done it..... if its good for the club? who knows.. What sort of $$ you get for that sponsorship.

Arsenal got £100 mil from Emirates for Ground Sponsership and 8 years of Shirt Sponership.

One thing to bear in mind is that there's the "official" name, and there's what people actually call it. I work in Bradford, so here's a quick pub quiz question: how many of you can name Bradford City's ground?

The "correct" answer is "The Bradford and Bingley Stadium" (after the building society). But nobody - NOBODY - *ever* calls it that. It's always been called "Valley Parade", and it still is.

I don't like advertising at all (I'd still love us to "do a Barcelona" and have no shirt sponsors), but let's face it, how many of us ever refer to "The F.A. Cup Sponsored by AXA" (or whatever it's called these days) ?

Anyway, I still don't think he'd do it if the fans don't want it - he had a similar situation with the Browns, and dropped the whole idea.

Mike

Arsenal got £100 mil from Emirates for Ground Sponsership and 8 years of Shirt Sponership.

Put me in the pro-camp.

The only people who will use the new stadium name will be the press - still call the boro ground diresome park even though they now play at the riverdire stadium.

For most of the contentious issues that arise from the takeover, I shall be using the glazer experience as my yardstick. So whatever the bitter twisted red cabbages were against, I shall be for and vice versa.

I wouldnt mind...To the fans it will always be called Villa Park. The only people that will refer to the club differently will be the media and outsiders. If Lerner can attract a big name to be the stadium sponsor, that could be the catalyst to raising the profile of the club and attracting bigger sponsors and more lucrative deals in the future. Maybe Nike as our kit manufacturer, or Orange as the shirt sponsor?

No doubt the latest edition of the mail will be pointing at this being the catalyst to our relocation to Norfolk and renaming of the club to the Aston Villa Sharks or something on those lines. I look forward to reading your article Bill

Don't want it to be renamed. But like the idea of selling the names of the stands. Wouldn't give as much money but it would keep the name VP. Maybe strange to call the Holte End for the Coca-Cola End but rather that than calling VP for Nike Stadium. Villa Park is a classic arena and should keep it's name as it is. But as said, wouldn't mind to sell out the names of the stands. Think it's a good idea.

The more I read from Lerner the more I'm convinced he's the man. If someone comes in and f**k this up I think I'll come over myself and put a bullet through his head.

I would welcome it if it gives Villa a good sponsordeal. Everything is for the best to the club and to the economy concerning the club...so if Lerner finds a good deal with a giant company...that gives Villa their biggest sponsordeal ever I would not complain.