Renaming Villa Park?

KSV

Would you want VP renamed for sponsorship money ?  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want VP renamed for sponsorship money ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Agree could never rename the famous Holte End!

It would only be the stadium name not the stand nmes that would be changed!

Yes - What I was saying was as an alternative, use the stands for different sponsorships - but I could never endorse The Holte End being renamed - just in case anyone thought I was mixing the two aspects.

The money in it is so good that I would be pro.

This is because I know I will still refer to it as Villa Park and so would everyone else.

A bit like if Kellogs gave me half a million to change my name to "corn flake", course i would but no-one would ever call me that, i'd just have to fill it in on forms and the like.

Agreed in reality if the ground was renamed to generate a truckload of cash to say MBNA Arena, we the supporters would still call it Villa Park come what may but hopefully we would have more to invest in the facilities and playing side.

Ultimately whilst we are proud of our traditions, nothing now remains of the "Villa Park" of old apart from the North Stand which in itself is a monstrosity and even that is relatively modern.

The only thing for me that is sacrosanct is the name of the club.

A bit like if Kellogs gave me half a million to change my name to "corn flake"

Careful, that's the kind of nickname that can stick ;)

Could lead to you getting a Frostie reception at times.

Can someone sponsor a certain moderator to change is name to Sugar Puff :mrgreen:

I would be open to this - if done correctly then it could result in a fresh income stream that will assist us competing with our rivals.

It also doesn't have to be in place forever - didn't Middlesbrough have a sponsor on their ground 'Cellnet' or something like that - they may even still sponsor them, I just know it as the Riverside these days.

.........I dare say that income stream derived from Cellnet probably went some way to buying players such as Southgate, Ehiogu and Boateng :)

Fact is, we are years behind our rivals in developing income streams - the re-naming of the ground represents, IMO, a valid way of 'catching up'

Well, the only argument I have is "tradition". I know it might be a weak argument but to me it's important. But still, guess this isn't the biggest issue anyway and I wouldn't complain too much if it changed, but I'd rather like it to remain as it is.

I think renaming the North stand and the Doug Ellis stand is a good compromise, there is no need to rename the stadium. Just re-develop those stands and let someone put their name on them and their logo on the seats - I'm not bothered if it pays for the cost of redeveloping them. I mean one's got Doug Ellis on it and the other is just the North stand so dosent have a name as such really - so, why not. But keep the Villa Park name.

I think renaming the North stand and the Doug Ellis stand is a good compromise, there is no need to rename the stadium. Just re-develop those stands and let someone put their name on them and their logo on the seats - I'm not bothered if it pays for the cost of redeveloping them. I mean one's got Doug Ellis on it and the other is just the North stand so dosent have a name as such really - so, why not. But keep the Villa Park name.

not worth renaming in a corporate sense, you don't get anywhere near to the same amount of money for renaming a stand, the media don't refer to it as Villa Park with the newly renamed McDeath Stand, they'd just say Villa Park

You have to rename the ground to get the serious dosh

Oddly i'd rather the stadium name was changed and the individual stands kept their traditional names.

I cant quite explain that preference to you....

I think perhaps because once you're inside the ground it is more personal and a name change would have a greater impact over which stands you were in and in general would be more 'in your face'. A name change to the stadium seems easier to gloss over and ignore.

The only people who will use the new stadium name will be the press - still call the boro ground diresome park even though they now play at the riverdire stadium.

haha, point proven I think

Boro play at the BT Cellnet Riverside Stadium

I'm pretty open minded about this to be honest

A bit like if Kellogs gave me half a million to change my name to "corn flake"

Careful, that's the kind of nickname that can stick ;)

Could lead to you getting a Frostie reception at times.

Can someone sponsor a certain moderator to change is name to Sugar Puff :mrgreen:

:clap::crylaugh:

Good work from all 3 of you!!!

Oddly i'd rather the stadium name was changed and the individual stands kept their traditional names.

I think perhaps because once you're inside the ground it is more personal and a name change would have a greater impact over which stands you were in and in general would be more 'in your face'. A name change to the stadium seems easier to gloss over and ignore.

You'd rather loose Villa Park than the imaginatively named 'North Stand' and 'Doug Ellis' names, strange.

Well, the only argument I have is "tradition". I know it might be a weak argument but to me it's important. But still, guess this isn't the biggest issue anyway and I wouldn't complain too much if it changed, but I'd rather like it to remain as it is.

Yeah I agree with this. Personally I'd like to keep the name VP, but then if changing the name made us substantially richer and allowed us to push onto another level, I'd have no complaints.

You'd rather loose Villa Park than the imaginatively named 'North Stand' and 'Doug Ellis' names, strange.

I said traditional names! ;)

So that would be Holte, Trinity and Witton. Actually I couldnt give a toss about the north stand now i think of it.

Like i said, it seems a stadium name change would be easier to gloss over and be ignored. Stand name changes i think would have a greater impact on the fans.

Doesnt seem strange to me at all and I think a few people have agreed that Villa Park would still be used amongst fans anyway.

As long as you keep Villa Park, who cares if they decide to put a companies name in front of it.

We would get the money for much needed investment.