Renaming Villa Park?

KSV

Would you want VP renamed for sponsorship money ?  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want VP renamed for sponsorship money ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

I wouldnt mind.. if it brought in money and was called... Red32 Villa Park.. but if its completely changed im not too sure. Arsenal have done it..... if its good for the club? who knows.. What sort of $$ you get for that sponsorship.

Arsenal got £100 mil from Emirates for Ground Sponsership and 8 years of Shirt Sponership.

we wouldnt get that much but wow... alot of money.. why not.. everyone will still refer to it as Villa Park. Premier League is sponsored by different things all the time yet noone calls it the barclaycard... or whatever it is..

Got my vote. As long as its something with a nice ring to it..

Martin Samuel says....

From Fedex Field to the Bank of America Stadium, big business has swallowed American Football.

Candlestick Park famed home of the 49ers and venue of the last Beatles concert is now Monster Park courtesy of sponsors Monster Cable Products Inc.

But Cleveland Browns still play at Cleveland Browns Stadium - meaning Randy Lerner, the franchise owner and soon to be Chairman of Aston Villa, is not a man who stamps on history.

when Lerner told me he would consider a naming rights agreement for villa Park, he did so in the manner of one who was testing the water. If Villa fans strongly oppose, I believe he will abandon it.

But the club is crying out for investment that was absent during Doug Ellis' reign.

Renaming Villa Park is cash for jam, really. A major company pays to attach it's name to the stadium and the fans call it by the old name anyway. Who thinks England play Test cricket at The Brit Oval.

Yes, it would break with tradition to rename Villa Park; but there is a more significant tradition that needs breaking, too: the club that plays there winning nothing each year.

And I completely agree.

Dont mind if we change the name because everyone will always call it Villa Park, the only people who will give us stick will be nosers and they already call it Vile Park so bollocks to them! Would rather see the Cadburys Villa Park in European Cup semi final than Villa Park half way up the league.

Would it bother you?

Woho didnt forget to link

Lerner to take low-key Villa role

Prospective Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner

Lerner has not ruled out renaming Villa Park

Prospective Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner has vowed not to interfere with Martin O'Neill's managerial role.

"O'Neill is the saviour of this club, not me," he told the News of the World.

"You don't meddle with the top guys or they won't work for you. You can't get the best if you spend all day poking them in the ribs."

American billionaire Lerner has had his £62.6m takeover offer accepted, with shareholders recommended to accept the bid from the Cleveland Browns owner.

He may still face a fight from rival consortia but Lerner is now in pole position to take the reigns at Villa Park.

However, if he does take over, he has not ruled out renaming Villa's ground as part of a lucrative sponsorship deal.

"Naming rights is something we would have to look at because it could make a very positive impact on revenue," he said.

"I hope people are more open-minded about it now.

"If there is an extremely negative reaction, I'll have to take that into account."

YES! Villa Park!!! Nothing to talk about.

Personally if the sponsorship deal really brought a large amount of investment into the players and ground itself, I wouldn't be totally opposed to a name change.

Like many here, for me it would still be Villa Park - and I would think of it as being VP sponsored by.......

I would rather a name change rather than a venue change.

I would also want to see who might take the sponsorship on if there was interest. Don't know why, but I just would want to be sure the name "suited" the ground somehow. Can't really explain it more than that.

Alternative - Rebuild and rename the North Stand and also rebuild and add that extra tier to the old Witton Lane stand and give that a sponsorship name and possibly the Trinity Stand.

I would hate for The Holte End to ever lose its name though.

I can't really see the problem. As many people have pointed out it will still be Villa Park to us. And let's face it even if we only get half of what Arsenal did - £50m over 8 years (especially if we can get cash up front) pays for a fair few signings!

Villa Park will be forever Villa Park - but if someone wants to pay us shed loads of money so that the TV and papers call it Nike Stadium then let them. Or why not compromise and insist that it is called Nike Stadium (Villa Park)?

I'd say that Lerner has such a big ear to the ground that even threads like this one on sites like this are read and used as a gauge of reaction. So, going by everyone's cautious approval of it I'd say he might consider it.

well i cant really see much harm? would people complain if it brought us 60 million pounds? and most of it went to player signings?

Would you rather see Lee Hendrie run on the wings at Villa Park?

or Malbranque/someone you personally rate running down the wing of Nike Stadium.

The money in it is so good that I would be pro.

This is because I know I will still refer to it as Villa Park and so would everyone else.

A bit like if Kellogs gave me half a million to change my name to "corn flake", course i would but no-one would ever call me that, i'd just have to fill it in on forms and the like.