• Cuéllar
    • Ireland
    • N'Zogbia
    • Albrighton
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Bannan (for Ireland 45)
    • Delfouneso (for Albrighton 88)

Better effort, but still don't really ever look like scoring. We didn't really threaten their goal bar the mistake for the 20,000 Premiership goal!

I don't think it was an unfair scoreline, Arsenal had the clearer chances and were much more threatening when they attacked.

But relatively happy, you will lose to better teams and we weren't embarrassed.

Best news however is that Hutton got sent off so I won't have to see him on the next game!! No Hutton and no Heskey and we might have a chance of actually winning a game before May!

And, whilst the tactics were a little better today (although was this forced through the injuries?) I don't think AMC reacted well to the pattern of the game and clearly doesn't know how to get set-piece defending set up. Arsenal had only scored once from a corner this season til today - but we all knew it was inevitable.

Most worrying is we're all quite happy and yet we've lost another game and are slipping stealth like down the table, and the injuries and suspensions keep mounting...

Let the over-reactions begin.

Thought we were excellent tonight, don't mind losing so much when we actually show commitment.

N'Zogbia and Dunne finally showed what we know they can be capable of. Dunne first time in a while as well, he looks so much more composed with Carlos alongside him

Over-Reactions?

We lost, its as simple as that!, doesnt matter how well we played really, that will not keep us from slipping down the table. Its the results that count. And sadly we failed to get a result again through our inability to defend set-pieces at all.

You might not like hearing it, but it is a results business at the end of the day.

Its the amount of corners we concede thats the problem, 12 against in the second half and Arsenal scored from 1........

Overall a lot better from all concerned, real effort and desire to win. Hutton was foolish and let himself down after playing his best game for us. Bannan played well, Dunne was the best by a country mile, kept VP quiet and he (IMO) is the most deadly strike this season.....

Keep up that amount of effort and i will have no complaints.

Only saw the last 30 minutes but I thought we did play pretty well. Much better than the performances we have given lately.

Always thought we were going to lose as it's the sort of form we are in right now but thank you boys for putting some effort in today.

Hutton out for next game so hopefully Herd will be back and he can play. The worst thing could happen now is Cuellar to RB and Collins back in the middle. Clark and Petrov looked a nice balance.

Gabby wasn't getting into position at either end of the field. I'll forgive him his bad game as he has been great this season. He knew he blew it for their goal at the end.

Annoying, obviously, but there were a lot of positives tonight. The team gave the crowd something to shout about, the atmosphere sounded great and it felt a bit like some of the years gone by. Far more positive all round.

However, it was almost inevitable, instead of waiting for our winning goal, I knew we wouldn't hold on and I fear that this is the general mind set of the squad. A rot is there. Arsenal were nothing great tonight and our lack of quality at times really worries me. We need to keep up that sort of work rate and attitude every single game to beat anyone in this league. I just don't see these players able to do it week in week out and put some form of run together.

MoM - N'Zogbia

By far the worst Arsenal team to visit Villa Park since 1995- yet they won! We were the better side.... losing when you play well though is a concern! yet again softest goals ever! Some may look at the performance as positive- great but Blackpool had great performances most of last year and still went down!

Sick of the corner goals and sick of losing games at home!

better than the utter drivel served up recently, but thats not saying much.

yes we worked hard and yes we managed to knock it around a bit better tonight (easier to do against a team like arsenal who are not exactly renowned for pressuring and getting stuck in) but how much did we actually create? there was still absolutely no cutting edge.

arsenal have the joint worst away defence in the league. they have injuries at both full back positions and tonight had an inexperienced kid and their best defender out of position playing full back. their centre backs were mertesacker and koscielny who are not very good. yet the only way we could score was from a defensive horror show. the assist goes to vermalen.

after we scored i cant remember testing their keeper at all. they were there for the taking yet the only team forcing saves was arsenal. we looked better knocking it around in the middle of the park were there was room, but in the final third where we were pressured we had nothing.

and then, despite promising to work on it in training, we concede from a set piece against a team who have only scored once from a corner all season.

still, at least we dont have to watch Hutton for the next game.

Not the result we wanted but a much better performance than usual.

Dunne was absolutely fantastic, some excellent blocks all game long. Albrighton and N'Zogbia (finally) were also very good. One the other side of the scale was Gabby who looked lazy and was very poor and cost us the goal in the end. Hutton was also rubbish defensively and I think it's a blessing in disguise that he won't play at Stoke.

If McLeish has any sense he'll see that Cuellar is a much better defender than James Collins but maybe he'll have to play right back because I don't see who else can play there if Hutton and Herd aren't available.

Something needs to be done about our set piece defending, once again it's costing us and against **** Arsenal of all teams!

But there were quite a few positive things about the performance which hopefully we'll build on. McLeish still has a lot too do to convince me that he can manage Aston Villa but today he was a lot more positive than in previous games which is at least an improvement.

Agree with AstonMarton88 above. Very encouraging performance over all.

Shortly before Albrighton went off, barely on the edge of my screen, some arsenhole player blocked him off a run behind the ball. I think it was the next stoppage when he went down. Was that at all related? The announcers pronounced it cramps just because he was stretching.

Anybody know why Hutton went of his rocker?

7-Guzan came way out for a good punch clearance.

9-Dunne was a monster. (in a good way)

7-Carlos

4-Hutton (6 until he lost it)

6-warnock

7-Petrov, Clark, Bannan, Ireland,

8-zog

9-albrighton (extra point for the finish)

5-gabby (6 until he lost benayoun)

Total **** shame, that. Masters of late concession yet again. It's the Villa trademark these days. On a day when a decent result was there for the taking, two idiotic pieces of defending did us in. How you let little rat faced Benayoun stroll in and head home the winner is beyond me.

Richard Dunne deserved better than that. MOTM by a mile. Great goal by Albrighton. Good game from Zog and Bannan. I didn't quite see what others saw out of Ireland today. I thought he was pretty quiet until he had two chances which he didn't manage to handle well.

Gabby's worst game in a LONG time. Couldn't muscle the little Israeli out of the way at the end. Pathetic. Looked slow all game too. I wonder if he's carrying an injury....

Guzan had a sound game in goal, Hutton played fairly well until his implosion, Cuellar didn't have a whole lot to do, Warnock was poor.

Thought we were excellent tonight, don't mind losing so much when we actually show commitment.

N'Zogbia and Dunne finally showed what we know they can be capable of. Dunne first time in a while as well, he looks so much more composed with Carlos alongside him

Maybe not excellent, but far, far better than what I've been watching recently.

Losing when you play like that is unwelcome but acceptable. Playing as we did against eg Spurs and several others is not acceptable.

That was really enjoyable and well worth the journey... Long drive back now but a good evening.

Every one was good except Gabby and Clark who did very little positive.

Let's keep the negativity for another day, not too long to wait for the next game.

Nzogbia gets my man of the match.

Guzan had a sound game in goal, Hutton played fairly well until his implosion, Cuellar didn't have a whole lot to do, Warnock was poor.

Forgot to mention that. Guzan has really impressed me in the games he's played. He's much more confident and commanding than in the league cup games I've seen him in.

Â