• Ireland
    • N'Zogbia
    • Albrighton
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Bannan (for Ireland 45)
    • Delfouneso (for Albrighton 88)

Thought it was an extremely soft pen.

Clear penalty, stupid from Clarke, and entirely avoidable.

Not a clear penalty at all. It was never a penalty in a million years. Walcott had kicked the ball too far in front of himself before the tug from Clarke, there was also a covering defender who would have clearly reached the ball before Theo had the shirt pull not occured and, thus, it was never a penalty kick.

Foolish thing for Clarke to do, granted, as it gives substandard referees like tonight an easy mistake to hide behind. But, having watched the incident from several angles, it was definitely not the right decision. If there was a penalty, it was the one later on when the ref bizarrely booked the brilliant Van Persie for "diving" even though he clearly got taken out.

Poor game from the referee.

Dude, it was a 100% certain penalty. By trying to argue it wasn't is just making you look a fool.

By the way, was you calling the referee "rubbish" when 35000 people thought Van Persie had been wiped out in the area - only for the ref to book him for a dive (I'd like to see that again, coz I thought it was a certain penalty.

The ref had a good game tonight, stop being a sore loser.

Probably our best performance of the season.

Guzan: played well, 7

Hutton: a complete waste of space. His positioning and decision making is awful. Watch the 'tackle' that got him his 2nd yellow. Out of position, not aware of the attackers, by the time he's realised he has no choice but to dive in. Herd at right back next time and every time please. 2

Dunne: much better but still gets turned too easily for me. 7

Cueller: brilliant. Always in the right place at the right time. Must be a first teamer for the rest of the season for me. 8

Warnock. Similar to hutton in that he's simply not good enough. But he tries hard so i'll give him credit for that. Screwed up two great chances to cross. 5

Albrighton. Excellent. Ran his bollocks off, great goal. 8

Clark. Very solid, nothing spectular. Exactly what a DM should be. Wouldn't mind him playing there permenantly. 7

Petrov. Good in pocessionn but slows the game down too much for my liking. 6

Ireland. Excellent. A little rusty but he worked hard so pleased with him. 8

Bannan. Great energy. Will soon be the heartbeat of the team. 8

N'Zogbia. Brilliant game. Showed what he can do. Will be a great player if he keeps it up. 8

Gabby. Not sure. Played well in patches but didn't seem to know what position he should be in. I'm sure had bent played he would of had 3..... 6

Crowd. Excellent. 9

Manager. Should have seen the need for a central striker, even if Gabby would of had to be the man to give way. But otherwise i can't complain. 7

Dude, it was a 100% certain penalty. By trying to argue it wasn't is just making you look a fool.

By the way, was you calling the referee "rubbish" when 35000 people thought Van Persie had been wiped out in the area - only for the ref to book him for a dive (I'd like to see that again, coz I thought it was a certain penalty.

The ref had a good game tonight, stop being a sore loser.

Christ :lol: Calling a Villa fan a sore loser? Don't think so mate, I'm more than used to seeing us lose by now to be "sore" over anything. If I was a sore loser why am i saying Arsenal should have had another penalty given, which wasn't?

When you get fouled in the box, it is only a foul if the player being impeded still has the ball under control. Look up the rules if you don't believe me. Now watch the incident again and tell me Walcott still has the ball under control? He quite clearly kicks it too far in front of himself in the box, and therefore Clark's subsequent raised arm, in the rules of the game, is irrelevant. It was never a penalty, despite the petty insults you throw at me. I've backed my argument up with facts, thanks.

The referee also failed to send Mertesacker off despite him committing three bookable offences during the match. So no, he did not have a good game in the slightest. Three big decisions all wrong, two of them against Villa.

Hard not to agree that it was a penalty, like I said it was annoying as **** when Walcott gave up but it was a foul, made even worse by nzogbia not doing the same

van persie to me wasn't stone wall, he is shaping up for the contact before it comes, makes it look like he's going to ground before contact when he'd probably argue it's the only way not to get injured, he wouldn't have been booked at the emirates for it that's for sure

Just got back from the game, bloomin knackered!

A much better peformance, and it was good to see Clark and Cueller start. I thought Clark was a good presence in midfield and Cueller looked very assured and steady at the back, always looking for the safe and simple pass, rather than do a Collins hoof, or a collins run up field.

Was typical of our season that we lost out to a soft penalty (it was a penalty in my opinion, it's all very well watching replays over and over again and over-analysing the situation, but in real-time, it looked like a pen, albeit a very poor one to concede), and a free header from a midget, and I did notice too that Mcliesh told Gabby to get into the box, only for him to be followed by two arsenal players. Very Naive of Mcliesh that... I watched Oxford United a few times a few years ago when I lived in Oxford, when Ramon Diaz was manager and he kept 4 players on the halfway line when they where defending corners, as it confused the hell out of the opposition to the point that they left about 4 or 5 players out of the box too... Less players in the box, easier to defend. Maybe someone should get Eck to give it a whirl....

Anyway, gutted with the final result as we deserved at least a point, and the atmosphere was absolutely cracking, I think we did our club proud guys!

....When you get fouled in the box, it is only a foul if the player being impeded still has the ball under control. Look up the rules if you don't believe me. Now watch the incident again and tell me Walcott still has the ball under control? He quite clearly kicks it too far in front of himself in the box, and therefore Clark's subsequent raised arm, in the rules of the game, is irrelevant. It was never a penalty, despite the petty insults you throw at me. I've backed my argument up with facts, thanks.

I didn't see the foul, joined the match late, I've agreed with several of your other points, but on the laws of the game, you're wrong. Makes no difference if a player has control in determining a foul or PK. If a member of the defending team commits a penal foul (normally warranting a DFK) against an opponent in the defending penalty area the correct restart is a PK. Makes no difference where the ball is. The only exception is if the ball is not in play at the time the offense is committed. You could argue that the ball must be playable to award a red card for DOGSO, but has nothing to do with a PK. If guzan in his own penarly area punched van persie in the mouth right before albrighton scored at the other end, the correct restart would have been a PK to arsenal. Regardless of the position of the ball, as long as the ball was in play.

Not saying it was or wasn't a penalty... didn't see it... but your point of law is not accurate.

Anyway, gutted with the final result as we deserved at least a point, and the atmosphere was absolutely cracking, I think we did our club proud guys!

Agreed. Fans knew the team was giving 100% and backed the team. As you say, shame about the result, but if we play like that all season we should be ok.

We did well tonight. If I have one disappointment (apart from the result) it was a point at 1-1 in the second half where they looked like the belief was not there that they could have won the game. They could have!

The Holte End and the North End were my men of the match as they showed my foreign guests what football passion is all about.

Agreed. Fans knew the team was giving 100% and backed the team. As you say, shame about the result, but if we play like that all season we should be ok.

100% agree...was great atmosphere tonight and deserved all 3 points. wasnt too be but thats football. felt 20 times better walking away from the ground than i did on sunday knowing that we played some great footy tonight and will be fine this season if we continue playing like that

I haven't seen the match but would love any detailed thoughts on the three new players tonight - King Carlos, Clark and Ireland - and whether they did well enough to keep challenging for positions in the new year?

I haven't seen the match but would love any detailed thoughts on the three new players tonight - King Carlos, Clark and Ireland - and whether they did well enough to keep challenging for positions in the new year?

Cuellar = played well - noticeably passed the ball on the ground when in possesion (unlike Collins) , defensively played very well. Him and Dunne played well. Dunne was exceptional and Cuellar complimented him pretty well.

Clark = needlessly gave away cheap soft penalty - was very naive to put his arm around Walcott who had already beaten him . Walcott wasn't going to score from where he was and Clark should not have made such a silly decision to put his arm around him . It was a soft penalty but it still was a penalty - Either lack of playing regularly or just naivity made Clark made make that basic bad error. He played otherwise pretty well.

Ireland = played reasonably well , didn't get on the end of one great cross by think Albrigton , went off injured just before half time. Not much else to say. Bannan (who came on for him) made more of an impact.

Thanks NowDoINotLikeThat - pretty much exactly as I'd imagined / hoped.

Cuellar is in my best XI. Clark is knocking on the door and will hopefully get there by the start of next season and I'm happy that Ireland is getting some minutes as he is under-performing at the moment and its worth giving a few chances to hit top gear.

At the end of the day, we played very very well and deserved a draw at least.

We didn't get it. Shit happens.

But I can take a HUGE amount of positives from that game.

And that's what matters right now.

No point dwelling on a few negatives, they need to take that same zest and willingness into the next 5 games.

UTV

Pretty much this. The result was very disappointing but the performance, given the quality of the opposition, was probably our best for the season. A long way from our potential yes, but a step in the right direction I hope.

We had quite a few tantalising crosses into the box that the likes of Ireland and Gabby couldn't get on the end of today. An in-form Bent might have buried a few of those.

Agree with those bagging Gabby. Not only was he poor, but his petulance towards his teammates was very obvious.

I gave Dunne MOTM but I thought Albrighton and N'Zogbia were both excellent.

Guzan has also been fantastic since coming into the side. Stoke will be a big test for him though.

Just watched the highlights on AVTV (much better than the MOTD coverage!!) and can see how desperately unlucky we were not to get something from the game.

For once, way more positives than negatives to take from the match - however, the main negative (our failure to defend set pieces) was crucial to the outcome.

I can see why the penalty was given but Walcott was hardly pulled back and didn't need to pull up and stop, he was clear of Clark and could've put a ball in or taken a shot.

IMO, it's tantamount to cheating.... he wasn't 'fouled' and denied playing on, he felt a tug, then took the easy route and got a cheap penalty....

Would love to see the refs clamp down on this stuff... Fair play to the ref for booking RVP for blatantly diving later in the match though...

Talking of RVP, wasn't impressed with his antics last night, he dived to win a penalty (rightly booked), feigned injury for the 1st Hutton booking (which set AH off!!!!!) and then gave the 2 - 1 finger scoreline at the end of the match to our fans.... what a cock, you'd think they were playing Barca or something, this was a match they should've won comfortably but we more than matched them and should've had more from it.

And I have to agree with whoever posted that Hutton should've been subbed as soon as he picked up his 1st yellow.... It was obvious his head had gone. I thought he played quite well too but now we'll push Cuellar to RB and re-install Collins.... disasterous!

How can people can vote for delfonso / Ireland for MOTM ?

So youre telling me that the Fonz was the best Villa player on the pitch in 20 mins? It isnt a vote to see who you would like to play!

I voted Dunne. If youre voting for any subs Bannan is currently on ZERO

Â