Richard

Lerner - Yes, No or Unsure  

259 members have voted

1. 1. Lerner - Yes, No or Unsure

• Yes - Pro Lerner
    • No - Time for change
    • Unsure - Still need more time

My colours firmly to the mast

He is the one behind the reason why we are falling like a stone, he is the one who thought Mcleish was a decent manager and appointed him after the abysmal Houllier

Mcleish out for sure but the bloke who's ineptitude has led us here should also be looking to go

Lerner OUT

I think Randy has had his time now....we're falling like a stone, we badly need fresh investment and ideas before the club gets much worse. Time for Randy to go, he's made some truly bizarre decisions over the past 2 years.

Yes / Unsure.

3 good years, followed by what will be 2 bad years. He's gone from an 8/10 owner to a 4/10 at present. But he HAS done good things for the club and it would be folly to ignore that. Is he capable of reverting direction, yes, I think he is, but he needs to correct his decisions sooner rather than later. If his plan is to get rid of the big earners next summer then re-invest so be it, but that didn't require such a pointlessly aggravating appointment.

well the case against is certainly building.

He seems to have gone from Hero to Zero in a short space of time.

I think he has stomped up decent funds when we have needed them, I just think we have bought poorly.

I have mixed feelings about Lerner.... whilst I think he has been short changed on the majority of our signings... sure he has gone up some ladders, but down too many snakes for my liking.

We have undoubtedly limited funds in comparison with the majority of the top half of the Premier League....Is it not more imperative to appoint a manager who has a history for having an eye for a player.

Alex McLeish would not have been my appointment, but the time he has had is very short, and it is arguable whether anyone could change things so soon, but I'm not so sure Alex is a talent spotter and a manager that is blessed with coaches who can transform a few little hidden gems.

The worry for me is that in my mind the things that need to change, like quality on the ball and a playing style that can evolve to success, seems a million miles away.... and no statements from villa park suggest that there is a plan of where we are and where we are going.

c 5 years ago some posters on here talked about a 5 year plan as if there was one in place....that was speculative of course and we have had 3 managers in that time.... but for me I would suggest that there is no plan of any description.

During my time watching Villa, I have seen managers come in and seen a distinct improvement in some of the aspects of play, weaknesses worked on and improved up on and it has been there for all to see.

I see this club right now in footballing terms drifting like a piece of Balsa wood on the Ocean.... aimless and without direction.

The last 18 months have been attriutous, it has to be said. I don't mind a couple of years of penny pinching if there is a long term strategy to go again, with lessons lerned.

What we do need is a football man on the board. The 2 appointments they have made gave been atrocious, and the appointment of McLeish a big 2 fingers up to the Villa fans with whom he had such a good relationship.

I've added a poll and have voted to see him go. I'm sure he's probably a nice guy but he doesn't seem to have the business acumen to form a strategy to take us forward (like David Dein had at Arsenal) or the financial clout to make up for that (like Roman Abramovic) or both (like Sheikh Mansour and Khaldoon al-Mubarak at Man City).

We're heading one way with Randy. Down.

You could argue he's a chequebook owner. When all he had to do was sign cheques he could do no wrong - though it seems in doing so his... lets be kind, naivety, has lead to the club being in a quite poor position that in turn has lead to all the rubbish we see now. He seems to have decided that not a penny more will leave his wallet (which was never the biggest), as seen from exceptionally low net spending for quite some time now as well as murmurs of more wage cutting to come.

You cannot do that and not expect to see the affect knocked on to the pitch.

I don't know which option I would go for here. The evidence says no, but the worry is could we end up with a Venkys if he did go.

I don't think his stewardship is long for this world anyway. A decent bid would see him gone imo. He's run out of money for the hobby.

I've added a poll and have voted to see him go. I'm sure he's probably a nice guy but he doesn't seem to have the business acumen to form a strategy to take us forward (like David Dein had at Arsenal) or the financial clout to make up for that (like Roman Abramovic) or both (like Sheikh Mansour and Khaldoon al-Mubarak at Man City).

We're heading one way with Randy. Down.

i probably agree with the business acumen, but disagree with the financial clout thing. due to FFP, Man City are the last club who can rely on rich owners.

I can understand that the books have to be balanced. What I can't get over is the poor managerial appointments he has made.

We are Aston Villa. Still one of the top half dozen clubs in this country. Our past reputation alone should ensure we can attract a good manager. Therefore it is a **** up of monumental proportions that has landed us with McLeish.

After last season the whole club needed a boost. Players and fans alike. The appointment of the right manager could have provided that. McLeish wasn't, isn't and never will be that manager and the blame for him being here lies squarely with Lerner.

I can understand that the books have to be balanced. What I can't get over is the poor managerial appointments he has made.

Agreed.

Only issue aside is that the books only need to be balanced because of his mistakes. A lot leads back to him.

We are Aston Villa. Still one of the top half dozen clubs in this country. Our past reputation alone should ensure we can attract a good manager. Therefore it is a **** up of monumental proportions that has landed us with McLeish.

Perhaps that's the problem markavfc, we're not as bigger club as us fans like to think.

Big clubs these days are the ones with big money sadly.

Players are bothered about money not history I'm afraid.

It's easy for us to say he should have done this or that, it's not us that has to deal with the constant costs of changing things and I don't just mean the money.

Nobody is perfect I would say, Lerner has made plenty of mistakes, ones a lot of us might make if thrust in to that position and easy to criticise in hindsight.

Tricky one, certainly not as simple as saying Lerner out, fans are naturally fickle, as it's easy to change our mind game by game, manager by manager, we don't have to deal with the other complex elements of football.

We just have to say get Hughes, Hughes comes in, doesn't get on with player x or y, we cannot afford to just replace the players willy nilly.

Not an easy position, fans are just passionate I suppose.

Sell up, sell up to who? What if we get someone worse than Lerner just shout sell up to them them too?

Â