Lerner - Yes / No / Unsure

Richard

Lerner - Yes, No or Unsure  

259 members have voted

1. 1. Lerner - Yes, No or Unsure

• Yes - Pro Lerner
    • No - Time for change
    • Unsure - Still need more time

I've added a poll and have voted to see him go. I'm sure he's probably a nice guy but he doesn't seem to have the business acumen to form a strategy to take us forward (like David Dein had at Arsenal) or the financial clout to make up for that (like Roman Abramovic) or both (like Sheikh Mansour and Khaldoon al-Mubarak at Man City).

We're heading one way with Randy. Down.

i probably agree with the business acumen, but disagree with the financial clout thing. due to FFP, Man City are the last club who can rely on rich owners.

What I was getting at was that he's making/made mistakes and can't afford to rectify them. If Roman hires a crap manager he gets rid and goes again (too soon in many cases). Randy has spent on AMc and most likely couldn't afford to do anything about it.

An intersting observation could be sliding into place:-

With Mclaren already sacked by forest

Martinez - hanging by a thread

if the axe were to fall on Mcleish -

then every manager that Lerner wanted to employ last summer - would have been dismissed by there clubs. Just shows how bad lerner is at choosing managers

Bringing McLeish in is inexcusable. Nothing to do with him being Blues manager, everything to do with his pedigree. The bloke was possibly the worst option.

**** his morals, I'm sure Hughes would have been infinitely better than the **** we are watching with McLeish at present.

Faulkner has to go now, and we need a DOF with a good knowledge of the game. And we need a manager who is not a massive word removed.

You could argue he's a chequebook owner. When all he had to do was sign cheques he could do no wrong - though it seems in doing so his... lets be kind, naivety, has lead to the club being in a quite poor position that in turn has lead to all the rubbish we see now. He seems to have decided that not a penny more will leave his wallet (which was never the biggest), as seen from exceptionally low net spending for quite some time now as well as murmurs of more wage cutting to come.

You cannot do that and not expect to see the affect knocked on to the pitch.

I don't know which option I would go for here. The evidence says no, but the worry is could we end up with a Venkys if he did go.

I don't think his stewardship is long for this world anyway. A decent bid would see him gone imo. He's run out of money for the hobby.

well summed up, Chindie

If you deliberately tried to tarnish all your good PR work and do away with any goodwill credit you had built up over the previous 4 years, you STILL probably wouldn't arrive at some of the big decisions/ mistakes RL has made post MON walk out.

Equally as disturbing for me was the other candidates who we looked at in the summer, McLaren, Martinez and McLeish. Sometimes we can be just a tad delusional as supporters (Villa fans? Never!) but most neutrals I spoke to were surprised at those choices. And were as gobsmaked as were that we appointed McLeish.

Then there is the way we conducted both recent manager searches. The first one should have set alarm bells ringing, treating the position like a McJobs vacancy, interviewing 3/4 people of questionable suitability. That's rarely how it works. Most clubs decide on the manager they want, find out if he's receptive to the move in the first place and then go all out to land him.

Speaking of which, the approach for Martinez smacked of naivety too. Writing a really nice letter to Whelan requesting permission- before even establishing whether Martinez actually fancied the job.

I do genuinely wonder if we spoke to the more likely candidates, the Moyes/Hughes/ Benitez types and they were initially keen -until they actually spoke to Faulkner and RL in person. If fans sense a certain degree of amateurishness - surely others would pick up on this too. People who aren't as automatically pro- Villa as us in the first place and will -lets be honest- just view the thing as a job.

Despite all this, I like RL. I'm grateful for the training facilities completed on his watch. Grateful for the Holte Hotel. Grateful that he put up the necessary sums to see us realistically compete for CL for two of his first four years and qualify for Europe three times, and grateful that I got to see the likes of Ashley Young, Milner and Downing go from promising to amongst the best players in the country during their time at VP.

None of that would have been possible without his input, so I'm not going to join the hordes looking for his removal.

Against that, the last 18 months have exposed as severe lack of football savvy, getting a manager like GH on the way down (and with a long-standing health issue to boot) selling Ash and Downing without suitable replacements and finally, of course the McLeish brain freeze.

Downing might have been a bit of a tit, might have had an agent making all sorts of noises. But the bottom line is he would want to be part of the England squad who goes to the Euros, and had we insisted that he remained until at least then, there is very little he could have done. Instead, we took the money -which might have been more than he's worth, but has firmly imprinted this idea that we are just a club who sells it's best with minimal fuss. The Milner deal just looked good value at the time, Ash's contract situation and interest from Man U meant that was only going to end one way. But Downing should have been our line in the sand moment.

As for McLeish -when you combine that clanger with the compensation we've had to fork out over the past 12 months- if this doesn't ram home to RL that big footballing decisions aren't his forté, nothing will. As a few others have said, get someone with genuine football knowledge on the board. Better than that, make him MD. Let RL tend to the flowerbeds rather than micro mismanagement. Even if the criteria is that we have to operate on a budget, there are ways of doing that and still being more aesthetically pleasing and competitive than we have been in recent times.

i have voted unsure to mcleish and no to lerner...you cannot lay all the blame for our prediciment on the manager (yes you can send some blame his way)

we received around 20m for milner which we spent on bent (fair enough). we received 40m for young and downing and spent it on n'zog hutton and given - 15m roughly? where has the remaining 25m gone? this is without mentioning the annual prem league tv cash plus ST sales, for which they proudly told us were around the 20k mark (£4m for season tickets sound about right?) the guy is cutting his losses and getting ready for a sale...if we get relegated in the process then so be it as far as he's concerned.

him and his little sidekick faulkner openly admit they know squat about footy so they bring in 'advisors'. these advisors say prem league experience is a must...despite the fact that the most succesful managers the league has known had no experience of managing in england before they came over (mourinho, ferguson, wenger)

i have voted unsure to mcleish and no to lerner...you cannot lay all the blame for our prediciment on the manager (yes you can send some blame his way)

we received around 20m for milner which we spent on bent (fair enough). we received 40m for young and downing and spent it on n'zog hutton and given - 15m roughly? where has the remaining 25m gone? this is without mentioning the annual prem league tv cash plus ST sales, for which they proudly told us were around the 20k mark (£4m for season tickets sound about right?) the guy is cutting his losses and getting ready for a sale...if we get relegated in the process then so be it as far as he's concerned.

him and his little sidekick faulkner openly admit they know squat about footy so they bring in 'advisors'. these advisors say prem league experience is a must...despite the fact that the most succesful managers the league has known had no experience of managing in england before they came over (mourinho, ferguson, wenger)

That's very odd. Can't understand how you can possibly be no to Randy but only unsure about McLeish?

An intersting observation could be sliding into place:-

With Mclaren already sacked by forest

Martinez - hanging by a thread

if the axe were to fall on Mcleish -

then every manager that Lerner wanted to employ last summer - would have been dismissed by there clubs. Just shows how bad lerner is at choosing managers

Wasn't there a Benitez meeting in the mix somewhere?

I wouldn't be surprised if Hughes had a discussion as well

That's very odd. Can't understand how you can possibly be no to Randy but only unsure about McLeish?

because i question the lack of investment from lerner considering turnover from player sales etc. lerner's intentions are quite obvous as far as im concerned.

i dont believe any manager deserves the sack after only 14 games in charge. hence im unsure.

Randy's invested a lot of money into the club. By far his biggest mistake was appointing McLeish, and I think most will agree with me there. That's why I find it so odd that you can be against Randy but not McLeish.

NFL watcher for almost 20 years, watched the Browns since they've been owned by Lerner. Where were they 10 years ago when Lerner took over? Bottom. Last season? Bottom. This year? Bottom. They're one of the few teams to achieve almost nothing over an entire decade.

Lerner is a nice bloke but doesn't have a clue about running a sports franchise.

Randy's invested a lot of money into the club. By far his biggest mistake was appointing McLeish, and I think most will agree with me there. That's why I find it so odd that you can be against Randy but not McLeish.

i agree he made a mistake by appointing him due to the slap in the face to fans, the underestimation of the rivalry, and the fact that there was better out there. im not denying the investment that he has made, but once he suddenly tightened the purse strings to the extent that he has done, alarm bells rang for me.

im just saying personally im not calling for mcleish's head YET...ask me again in january once we have played all the top teams and ability has truely been put to the test

Pro Lerner, think some shocking decisions have been made, but who the hell are we going to have as an owner? Look at Everton, nobody wants to touch them. We could have the KFC lot owning us for that matter.

Faulkner, clearly must walk NOW. For defense in the past, people have commented: :"You don't know what that job entails, you try running it better, he's just clearing up O'Neill's mess" etc etc. But facts (thanks, Rafa) show more than debate: since being appointed CEO of Aston Villa, so many things have gone wrong. And you can't defend him by saying that he's had 'bad luck' since...May 2010?

Â