Martin O'Neill

maqroll

Is it true he walked in to Faulkners office at one morning training session and basically said beat it if you think you can do better go for it and then stormed out without saying bye to anyone..?!!!

Who exactly are you expecting to confirm or deny that story?

I don't think either of those two post on here.

Dont really understand your point. The big picture is that Villa are a lot worse of without MON.

Pat Murphy who is usually spot on the money I believe claimed this or took a similar diplomatIc view. Then again its all rumourmill. I was just wandering if anyone had any quotes or any other stories ect ect.

Pat Murphy who is usually spot on the money I believe claimed this or took a similar diplomatIc view. Then again its all rumourmill. I was just wandering if anyone had any quotes or any other stories ect ect.

Isnt Pat Murphy MONS's mate? wouldnt call his view diplomatic

I know he is doing well at Sunderland but i feel that is more to do with the new manager syndrome

Ah yes, I remember how well we played when Houllier and McLeish first came in. I'm beginning to think that New Manager Syndrome only happens when the manager knows what he's doing!

I know he is doing well at Sunderland but i feel that is more to do with the new manager syndrome

Ah yes, I remember how well we played when Houllier and McLeish first came in. I'm beginning to think that New Manager Syndrome only happens when the manager knows what he's doing!

To be fair even under those two we had a mini new manager syndrome. Both of them also had really bad patches going into Christmas though.

To be fair even under those two we had a mini new manager syndrome. Both of them also had really bad patches going into Christmas though.

I think with McLeish we went from barely acceptable to totally unacceptable, so I see your point.

Houllier got one win in his first 8 games!

MON - Streets ahead of AM & GH without a doubt.

my take on MON's signings (taking into account transfer fees):

GOOD:

A Young

Friedel

Milner

Downing

Dunne

AVERAGE:

Petrov

Carew

Knight

Guzan

L Young

Collins

Heskey

BAD:

Maloney

Routledge

Knight

Salifou

Davies

Reo-Coker

Harewood

Sidwell

Shorey

Cuellar

Delph

Beye

Warnock

Carson

GOOD:

A Young

Friedel

Milner

Downing

Dunne

AVERAGE:

Petrov

Carew

Knight

Guzan

L Young

Collins

Heskey

BAD:

Maloney

Routledge

Knight

Salifou

Davies

Reo-Coker

Harewood

Sidwell

Shorey

Cuellar

Delph

Beye

Warnock

Carson

Well, which is it?

I honestly don't think you can say Knight was a bad signing.

He wasn't a great player, but he wasn't bad. Played a load of games and provided some great moments (debut goal vs Chelsea. Equaliser in the 90th minute vs Arsenal)

He loved the club and we sold him for a profit (I think)

Not amazing by any stretch of the imagination, but I think he was a decent signing in retrospect.

I think you need more classifications: Excellent/Good/Average/Below Average/Rubbish/Beye

I wouldn’t say that Carew and Petrov in any way were average signings.

We could have got better for what we paid for Petrov. So I'd still put him in the average bracket

GOOD:

A Young

Friedel

Milner

Downing

Dunne

AVERAGE:

Petrov

Carew

Knight

Guzan

L Young

Collins

Heskey

BAD:

Maloney

Routledge

Knight

Salifou

Davies

Reo-Coker

Harewood

Sidwell

Shorey

Cuellar

Delph

Beye

Warnock

Carson

You have Knight twice, I would say Knight was average. I would also put Heskey in the bad category, but I agree with the rest.

I'd put pretty much all the average signings as good, apart from Heskey, particularly when you consider how they played under Oneill / how much they cost. Collins for example was a rock in his first year, Carew was a huge fan favourite and Petrov has been a lynchpin of our side since he joined.

Yeah I don't see how you can class Carew as anything other than a great signing.

Sure he had a pretty poor final season, but he cost us effectively nothing (swapped for Baros who was Turd) and was our top scorer for the time he was here (I think!)

Plus he was a fan favourite.

Â