Irreverentad's Relationship Advice Thread

irreverentad

Can't believe I get married in June.

Only seems like yesterday when I was telling you guys about my new lady B)

Ah yes, and the hunt to find her on the web. Was fun :D Congratulations mate! Enjoy it!

Just added a profile pic, as the username does tend to lead to people thinking I'm a bloke!

Thanks for all the advice - really appreciate it. Weird talking to a bunch of strangers about something so personal, but it's actually quite therapeutic. Think I just need to be brave and move on - can't imagine being single, but it can't be that bad...

As others have said, it isn't, and it's very liberating. If you haven't had extended periods of being single, then I would advocate it. Took me ages (and a few failed relationships) to find my 'ideal/right/someone that would have me' partner, and I eventually met her by chance in a new bar near where I lived, aged 37.  She's perfik for me, and 3 years down the road, I am married to a gorgeous lady and have a 21 month old daughter.

I would never advocate staying with the 'wrong' person through fear of being alone. You have to respect yourself enough to believe you are better than the way this person has treated you.

• Like 2

Woman asks bunch of men what to do about her relationship? I wonder what their answer would be...

I suppose they could start by explaining what men are really like.

Creatures of simple needs and responses and who should be sympathetically viewed as victims and mere life-support systems for their genitals.

Walking around with a sack full of enough sperm to inseminate the population of China, is bound to produce some aberrant behaviour. 

That when the balls are full the head is empty and that the male libido works like a cistern which needs emptying regularly or it overflows.

And, that therefore the sexual act has a different meaning to them and a mindless opportunistic shag, has no bearing on their loyalty to other relationships.

Men should be treated like a Pavlovian experiment and they should be trained with clear and simple commands and rewards.

Expecting genuine empathy from a man is expecting too much.

Don't tell them how you feel; tell them what you want/need.

And remember, once a person has lost one dog, they tend to put out better food and build higher fences next time around.

That sort of thing.

• Like 1

I suppose they could start by explaining what men are really like.

Creatures of simple needs and responses and who should be sympathetically viewed as victims and mere life-support systems for their genitals.

Walking around with a sack full of enough sperm to inseminate the population of China, is bound to produce some aberrant behaviour. 

That when the balls are full the head is empty and that the male libido works like a cistern which needs emptying regularly or it overflows.

And, that therefore the sexual act has a different meaning to them and a mindless opportunistic shag, has no bearing on their loyalty to other relationships.

Men should be treated like a Pavlovian experiment and they should be trained with clear and simple commands and rewards.

Expecting genuine empathy from a man is expecting too much.

Don't tell them how you feel; tell them what you want/need.

And remember, once a person has lost one dog, they tend to put out better food and build higher fences next time around.

That sort of thing.

I find this line of thinking a somewhat pitiful excuse for cheating on a partner: "it's not my fault, it's inherent to my nature as a man" - well so is rape and murder, but the vast majority of the population seem able to control these instincts. It also doesn't address female sexuality, that women cheat on men and, shockingly, I know, enjoy sex, too. As for males being unable to feel empathy - that is simply wrong.

In the court of community opinion no man would be allowed to offer that excuse as a defence but in the same court it is often accepted as an excuse to forgive.

In fact male hormones are never admissible as mitigation in law but female hormones often are.

Society's view of the ability of each sex to exercise moral agency is substantially different.

I definitely think women have affairs for different reasons than men.

As for empathy, I think the much higher instance of men being somewhere on the autistic spectrum, makes a lack of empathy far more likely to be found in men. 

It's difficult to speak on behalf of what women might think, what with me only playing that role of a Thursday lunchtime.

But I suspect there are as many different reasons for women to have affairs as men.

Some for the thrill, some for revenge, some for love and some through some sense of having found something better and 27 reasons that haven't occurred to me yet.

Though I would concede that a thousand years of indoctrination makes us (male and female) believe that with women, it's rarely just for kicks and a quick fizzy o.

From my experience of close friends and work colleagues, there are women that quite like all sorts of adventures. By 'my experience' I just mean I know them and their ways, I'm personally about as vanilla a chap as you'll ever meet.

It's difficult to speak on behalf of what women might think, what with me only playing that role of a Thursday lunchtime.

But I suspect there are as many different reasons for women to have affairs as men.

Some for the thrill, some for revenge, some for love and some through some sense of having found something better and 27 reasons that haven't occurred to me yet.

Though I would concede that a thousand years of indoctrination makes us (male and female) believe that with women, it's rarely just for kicks and a quick fizzy o.

From my experience of close friends and work colleagues, there are women that quite like all sorts of adventures. By 'my experience' I just mean I know them and their ways, I'm personally about as vanilla a chap as you'll ever meet.

When assessing the respective libidos of men and women, I think that if we take notice of whose libido is used to manipulate them and whose not, who pays for it and who tends not to, we can arrive at a reasonable conclusion, as to which gender suffers the greater sexual imperative.  :P

Â