London 2012 Olympic football tournament

TRS-T

think its only taken serious in Brazil as its only trophy they ever won but saying that Argentina brought some team to China 4 years ago with Riquelme, Di Maria, Mascherano, Banega, Aguero adn Messi among others

think south americans take international football uber-serious

IMO so they should

i can see why so many people knock olympic football but at the same time i can see why others think its important

again you could argue either way IMO but what would have better for butland / jones this summer? sat on englands bench or playing in the olympics? i still think butland should be called up

If I was Brazil(ian) I would be taking it extremely seriously. It's one of the few quasi-competitive competitions they'll face before they saunter into the WC as hosts (hence not qualifying). But as I'm not, I see it as a fairly inconsequential under-age tournament for footballers who want an olympic medal; which is fine; but it is of no interest to me who wins or loses.

I can't say I have ever watched Olympic football before.

But I will definitely be watching the Olympic football summer.

How often does your country get to host an international football tournament?

And how often do we get to see a British national team in football?

Beckham should've been picked based on the work he did to help us get it in the first place. Who actually cares about Olympic football anyway? Can't say I'll care whether we finish bottom of our group or reach a semi final.

Beckham should've been picked based on the work he did to help us get it in the first place. Who actually cares about Olympic football anyway? Can't say I'll care whether we finish bottom of our group or reach a semi final.

somebody on the radio earlier pointed out that the same logic then puts Seb Coe in the 800m

i dont see on what basis he's been omitted but giggs is in there, whats the difference? and the coe comments are weak, beckham still plays and plays well for LA

the arguement that the MLS is a weaker competition IMO is bollocks, we are playing UAE and senegal U23s FFS what level are people expecting?

will be interesting to see what he says the next time someone tries to wheel him out and put him on parade

will also be interesting to see how big a nail this will be in pearces coffin, i dont think there are many who still see him as a decent manager, he's lost his place in the 1st team coach set up, hopefully he'll be sacked soon

I'm going to watch GB play and I'm very pleased Beckham hasn't been picked. Means Pearce might actually be taking it seriously not just a PR exercise.

As for Beckham over Giggs? You'd be insane. Yes, not only does Giggs still perform at the top level, but whereas it seems Beckham might be treating the Olympics as another photo op. To Giggs, its his only chance to win an International football tournament.

Finally, Giggs is, and always has been a much better player than David Beckham.

somebody on the radio earlier pointed out that the same logic then puts Seb Coe in the 800m

Did Seb Coe play Olympic Football then?

@jon_c - I don't think Beckham would treat playing for his country as a photo op at all.

Richards. :?

I would've had Beckham in tbh but not both Bellamy and Giggs. They'll be plenty of young welsh in the squad as it is.

Third overage would've been either Chris Brunt or Stephen Fletcher.

Will there be any Northern Irish in the squad now as Johnny Evans is over 23 isn't he?

And is it me or is an 18 man squad a bit light for what could be 6 games if you get to the final.

A few injuries and suspensions and you're down to picking the same 11, surely it should be 23 like the main tournaments?

Richards. :?

I would've had Beckham in tbh but not both Bellamy and Giggs. They'll be plenty of young welsh in the squad as it is.

Third overage would've been either Chris Brunt or Stephen Fletcher.

Will there be any Northern Irish in the squad now as Johnny Evans is over 23 isn't he?

And is it me or is an 18 man squad a bit light for what could be 6 games if you get to the final.

A few injuries and suspensions and you're down to picking the same 11, surely it should be 23 like the main tournaments?

we are playing UAE and senegal U23s FFS what level are people expecting?

I'm expecting Brazil and Spain to be at a very high level, Uruguay as well.

Neymar, Hulk, Mata - decent players no?

be no chance Mata going as 1st of all he is 24 and dont think allowed to play 2 international tournaments a season.

Will probably see Thiago, Muniain and Isco and maybe Villa or Puyol as overseas player if they want to after not making World Cup

we are playing UAE and senegal U23s FFS what level are people expecting?

I'm expecting Brazil and Spain to be at a very high level, Uruguay as well.

Neymar, Hulk, Mata - decent players no?

Yeah I'm expecting them to be good too, but still an inexperienced youth team

I just don't buy the idea that the level of the mls means he isn't good enough to play against these teams

Apparently Walker, Smalling, Jones and Kelly are all left out/injured.

Richards right back and Neil Taylor left back.

We need to find some centre-backs from somewhere.

For what will be a one off, football team purely forced to completion because the Olympics are in London why not take beckham?

We take a player who refused to be on a list or England. A player who whilst plays at the too level won't be any more likely to last ninety than Bekcham. Ad finally a benchwarmer for Liverpool?

Beckham was playing at Milan last year and did enough to warrant much of their support begging the hierarchy to buy him.

Not only that did anyone see us at Euro 2012? Apart from that one cross to Andy Carrol i saw sod all that came close to being conisistent or crossing or long passing or free kicks that were anywhere near above average.

After seeing our unbelievable tepid mess at the euros I'd have take Beckham as an impact player to the Euros never mind this Olympics Football tournament, which lets face it is like asking blokes if they wanted to play wii football instead of FIFA on the Xbox.

We won't do it again and haven't done it before, an taking Beckham would be a better exercise than Brazil taking Romario or Ronaldo to a work cup when they were unfit and overweight.... Oh wait they did that.

How old is Pirlo?

People say how Giggs was a much better player, that's fine, but you telling me when Beckham was 26, Young, Nani, Valencia, Walcott, Milner were anywhere close to Beckham?

They didn't want to take Beckham because it would make the team a PR exercise which is exactly what it was and is.

I bet we never put a team together again, and when we start and we have no one that knows how to cross to a dangerous area, take a free kick or know how to pass more than 20 yards, am sure we will look to the stands to see where Beckham is.

I am annoyed he went to America because he should have been playing at the top level for all that time. Until we replace Beckham and G Neville our right side will be awful. And we thought our leg had side was the issue for all these years?

Â